Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
I just bought an Onyx Boox Firefly after waiting several months for at least an announcement by Sony. Nothing came, so I switched.

I still would buy a Sony with front light. I miss their superb selection of build in, hassle free dictionaries.
I would be forever grateful if they just would release an updated PRS-950 with frontlight, faster processor and more internal storage.
I want my build in stylus back and that beautiful aluminum finish and the 7"screen.
To me the PRS-950 is the most beautiful reader I have come across. Sony should stop trying to compete with cheap plastic models, or at least release a nice aluminum luxury model. I am willing to pay extra for that.

And just now, after comparing the software of the Sony readers with the Onyx and Kobo I have come to realize how good Sony's reader software is. It really stands out from the crowd.

Last edited by Iskariot; 03-27-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
samhy I did not know there were differences from one geographic area to another: what are they?
There are small differences which may don't matter at all depending on the buyer.
For example, the US T2 is said to have 6 dictionaries
Quote:
Utilize the 6 built-in dictionaries to look up a word or translate into English, French or Spanish.
when the European one has two English monolingual dictionaries and ten bilingual ones (French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian)
Quote:
2 ANGLAIS (britannique / américian) + 10 BILINGUES (depuis et vers le français / l'espagnol / l'allemand / le néerlandais / l'italien)
When I bought the 650, the Japanese one had a Japanese dictionary and an English-Japanese dictionary (not the other way around) whereas the European 650 had European languages dictionaries. I'm not sure for the US 650, but it was definitely not the same as the European one.

Not having access to the Japanese dictionaries was one of the reason for me to stay away from the T2.

I'm still looking forward to hearing more about a possible T3, though. Well, T3 means not many changes from the other devices of the T series. I'm very eager to discover it.

The quotes are from the .com and .fr Sony web sites.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
When I bought the 650, the Japanese one had a Japanese dictionary and an English-Japanese dictionary (not the other way around) whereas the European 650 had European languages dictionaries. I'm not sure for the US 650, but it was definitely not the same as the European one.
The US and European 350 readers have the same dictionaries, so I'm assuming that will hold true for all the x50 readers: 2 English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
What I find worrying is when I look at the uk sites like argos they still aren't even selling the T2 they are still selling the T1 as simply Sony Reader, so I really don't think I'll have a chance to buy the T3 anyway.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The Sony UK website has the T2s, so retail stores in the UK should also have them.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t2
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The Sony UK website has the T2s, so retail stores in the UK should also have them.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t2
Actually I've never seen a Sony reader in any retail store here while there's kindles, kobos and nooks everywhere even supermarkets but as far as I know argos is the only place that actually sells the Sony ones on the high street and they still only do the T1.

Not a fan of ordering things like that online to be honest I'd rather walk into a store and walk out with a Kobo.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #22
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The US and European 350 readers have the same dictionaries, so I'm assuming that will hold true for all the x50 readers: 2 English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch.
The dictionaries on the Sony are not only easy to use, they are also good in quality. The English and American ones are from Oxford University Press and the other bilingual ones are either from Oxford or Collins. For this reason alone I'll continue to use Sony readers.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
The dictionaries on the Sony are not only easy to use, they are also good in quality. The English and American ones are from Oxford University Press and the other bilingual ones are either from Oxford or Collins. For this reason alone I'll continue to use Sony readers.
Agreed!
I like the Sony and the Kobo in a different fashion, but I like them both.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
I like my t1 but i think if Sony doesn't give us a front lit model my next reader will be a kobo.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I had a Sony 300, 350 and then 650 but now use a Kindle Paperwhite. I would like to come back to Sony but the reader would need to have the following:
  • front lit with light adjustable to very very low settings
  • able to add own fonts
  • adjustable margins
  • adjustable line height
  • ultra slim fit cases available in nice colours - not necessarily from Sony

A long wish list I know, but it is what I have now and I'm not going backwards just to escape Amazon.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Looks like Sony is getting ready to release their lighted version early. Lets hope they do a good job of it. They should be able to. Kobo have done it though Kindle messed up. I look forward to the Sony. It is a feature I want.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I just bought an Onyx Boox Firefly after waiting several months for at least an announcement by Sony. Nothing came, so I switched.

I still would buy a Sony with front light. I miss their superb selection of build in, hassle free dictionaries.
I would be forever grateful if they just would release an updated PRS-950 with frontlight, faster processor and more internal storage.
I want my build in stylus back and that beautiful aluminum finish and the 7"screen.
To me the PRS-950 is the most beautiful reader I have come across. Sony should stop trying to compete with cheap plastic models, or at least release a nice aluminum luxury model. I am willing to pay extra for that.

And just now, after comparing the software of the Sony readers with the Onyx and Kobo I have come to realize how good Sony's reader software is. It really stands out from the crowd.
i've been using the prs-950 for quite a while and just bought the onyx m92 and know what you mean. i can't understand why sony would not get into the large screen e-reader market. i feel for sure that a large screen e-reader would be preferred among business users than a tablet for daily reading and documents.

and even though i just bought the onyx m92, i would buy a 10" sony e-reader in a heartbeat (or better yet, make it a full letter-size screen, around 13.9" diagonal).
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Sony was so low key about T1 and T2. It reminded me the way Sony handled their GPS. I am afraid the ending is here.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 AM   #29
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Sony was so low key about T1 and T2. It reminded me the way Sony handled their GPS. I am afraid the ending is here.
That is what I fear also. To me it seems like Sony does not care at all about their ereader market share anymore.
I think they could do much better in the promotion department as their readers software is exceptionally good. For example the way in which they handle tags/collections is superb to say the least and the way an ample selection of build-in high quality dictionaries are implemented is one of the best I have seen.

But they made some terrible miscalculations about their hardware I think. Releasing the virtually indistinguishable T2 relatively fast after the T1 was a very weird move. It would have been better to just release a considerable firmware upgrade for the T1 and release an upgraded front lit, highres T2 reader somewhat later. Because now, as far as hardware is concerned and considering the T2 price tag, they have nothing to offer in the current ereader market.

Also removing the incredibly convenient internal stylus silo is something I just could not believe. In my mind it was the stupidest change I ever saw design-wise.

I believe the marketing department of Sony does not understand the ereader market very well. When they released the T2 they should have been able to predict the demand for higher resolution screens and front lighting.

If only my Onyx Firefly had the Sony software. It would be the best ereader in the solar system.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #30
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Sony has never been very logical or quick to adapt. Time and time again they lose markets. Just remember how they lost the portable music market to apple after dominating it for years.
I think that they will release new model as they have just revamped their online shop in UK and expanded to more countries.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote