Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombast View Post
I'm using the mobi reader on a PC, to read "Alms for Jihad" - which has been banned in print.

I was able to open and read it just fine until Wednesday, when Mobi shut down. Now I can't open the book.

As near as I can tell, it's like Google shutting down their "Download to Own" movie service. If they want to turn the book off, they can.

The only way around it that I can find is doing screen captures of each page, as soon as you get the book.

Maybe yvanleterrible is correct. The book is all about how terror is financed, and one of the people who was doing the financing got the book banned. He's got a few extra billion. Could he pay to take out Mobi?
I'm rather baffled by this. Once you've downloaded a book, you don't need an internet connection to be able to read it (most MobiPocket books are read on PDAs with no internet connection). A downloaded book is "keyed" to the ID of the device it's being read on - it has no "contact" with the MobiPocket server once it's been downloaded.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 AM   #32
Bombast
Bombast began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's probably only a problem with their PC reader. They can reasonably require that a PC have internet connectivity to read their books.

I only have the one book in my bookshelf. When I click "read" it replies

An unknown error occurred when contacting the server. Please check your network connection and firewall server.

If I close that, if opens up "Activate This Book: Alms For Jihad" with my user name, password dotted out, and listing the ebook store as books on board. Clicking logon there takes me back to An unknown error occurred... etc.

The hard copy on Ebay is up to $177, still 3 days to go. I'm betting the Saudi's will snipe it at the last minute.
Bombast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 04:10 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still puzzled by this - I'm certain that I've read commercial MP books on my notebook PC with no internet connection. Next time I buy one, I'll try it again. As you say, it's possible that it's a feature of the new MP Desktop Reader for the PC.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #34
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These things happen in the best run companies. A couple of years ago, my ISP which hosts approximately 60% of the ".co.uk" domains, lost their server farm for 5 days. Just one of those unbelievably unlikely combination of circumstances - I think that in their case they had a catastrophic power supply failure while they were in the middle of replacing their backup power system.

Sometimes it's just bad luck - nobody's fault.
I understand your point, but the simple fact that they system was down and no backup was in place, or it failed, does point to someone's fault for not being ready for a disaster. I wouldn't want to be the CIO, beacuse I know my job would be done since I didn't have a plan in place to protect against this much loss in revenue. They should have have some type of off-site backup available that would kick in in the event of catastrophic failure.

Wow, I can't believe your ISP was out for 5 days, especially for the number of sites you mentioned. I cannot imagine how much money copanies hosted lost due to such an incident. It would be interesting to read what type of hit they took for it.

Not too sure what the comment about the company being hosted in France had to do with anything. Are they slower to get things fixed there or do they just not care? eCommerce is big business, regardless of which country the parent company resides in.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So with MobiPocket down due to the DRM server can any DRM based MobiPocket books be purchased?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes - eg Fictionwise say that they are using a different server, for some books at least.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #37
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Where content comes from

Mobipocket supports a number of retailers who sell Mobipocket books under their own labels but who use Mobipocket to handle the transactions and distribution (and DRM). This is different from a vendor who actually hosts Mobipocket-formatted eBooks. I think the Fictionwise quote indicates that Fictionwise does both.

Mobipocket being down for so long certainly seems to be a major problem. I would have expected at least a more detailed explanation at the Mobipocket site. At least they took down the first note indicating we should check back in 'a few minutes.'

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
(p.s., many of our books are available in unencrypted Mobipocket format)

Are you saying that if we purchase a MobiPocket book, it relies on the website of MibiPocket and not the website of the seller if that's not MobiPocket?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #38
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
'a few minutes.' That at least indicates it is an unexpected tech problem. Maybe they simply cannot get the replacement hardware before Monday.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Someone posted say he could not read one of his MobiPocket books on his computer. Does the MobiPocket reader for Windows talk to the DRM server to allow you to read?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #40
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Just checked out a Mobi ebook from NYPL and I can read it on my PC just fine with the new Mobi reader (checking out a book Sunday at 9.30 pm - this can be among the joys of ebooks done properly; incidentally I have no problem with drm-ing books that you borrow )
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #41
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...May DRM keep them down forever (I hope).
Do you really hope for this? If so, why? I'm no Sony fan but I don't long for their demise.

I have dozens of Mobipocket titles that work just fine at the present. Once you download a Mobipocket book it is forever tied to the PIDs that you have registered. The encryption follows the file and there are no 'checks' against the DRM server post-download.
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherdman View Post
Do you really hope for this? If so, why? I'm no Sony fan but I don't long for their demise.

I have dozens of Mobipocket titles that work just fine at the present. Once you download a Mobipocket book it is forever tied to the PIDs that you have registered. The encryption follows the file and there are no 'checks' against the DRM server post-download.
If the DRM server never comes back, maybe they'll have to start selling DRM free books instead. Now that would be very nice indeed.

How can one transfer a MobiPocket book to another Windows based computer without registering that computer?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #43
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
JSWolf,

Great fantasy. Nope, they'll fix it, sad to say. (Although *happy* to say as far as having content for the Bookeen Cybook Gen3.)

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the DRM server never comes back, maybe they'll have to start selling DRM free books instead. Now that would be very nice indeed.

How can one transfer a MobiPocket book to another Windows based computer without registering that computer?
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #44
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Fictionwise is now reporting that the problem will not be fixed until the 22nd or 23rd.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #45
derboti
derboti began at the beginning.

Device: Dell
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
Fictionwise is now reporting that the problem will not be fixed until the 22nd or 23rd.
May I ask, where you found that information? I just bought my first mobipocket ebook and I'm quite frustrated that I can't download it. Well, I don't need it right away, but Mobipocket should at least state what's going on... "to check back later" isn't really satisfying
derboti is offline   Reply With Quote