Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
bonsai
bonsai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (wi-fi)
Exclamation Could Amazon case cause Kindle 3 reboots?

I'm on my second wifi-only K3, and Amazon is shipping me a third tomorrow. With the first two, I had problems where the Kindle would frequently reboot for no apparent reason - sometimes even while I was reading. Amazon already sent me one replacement Kindle, and the problem seems worse on Kindle No. 2.

I was just googling the issue and saw someone complaining about a similar problem -- but they think it's somehow connected to the hinges on the official Amazon case. And come to think of it, I had my Kindle for two weeks before the case arrived, and didn't have a problem -- it was only after I started using the case that the problem started.

Is there any way the case could cause this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it? If I still have the problem with Kindle No. 3, perhaps I'll see if Amazon will let me return the case.

Anyone else see something like this?

Edit: As I was typing this post, my Kindle rebooted yet again. ARGH!
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I've also read online that the hinges can cause issues but whether this is true or not I really don't know.

Can you try using the kindle without the case for a while to see if the reboots stop?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
The only issue I saw with the hinges and Kindles rebooting was with the lighted cover. Havent seen any reports from anyone with a standard cover. I had my rebooting Kindle replaced and the new one doesn't reboot at all (works perfectly) and it is in the same case as the old one.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
bonsai

I took the case off just after I wrote my original post, about 50 minutes ago. So far, no reboots. And yes, it was rebooting frequently enough that it makes me somewhat optimistic -- I don't remember when I last went a full hour without a reboot.

I'll post again in the next day or two, when I have a better idea if this is really making a difference.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
I took the case off just after I wrote my original post, about 50 minutes ago. So far, no reboots. And yes, it was rebooting frequently enough that it makes me somewhat optimistic -- I don't remember when I last went a full hour without a reboot.

I'll post again in the next day or two, when I have a better idea if this is really making a difference.
I wonder if replacing the case would solve the problem. I have a lighted case and haven't had a rebooting problem. So you have a lighted case? If so, maybe there is some kind of short causing the rebooting. If not, I'm not sure what it could be.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have the kindle 3 and I have both the basic Amazon cover and the Amazon cover with the light and I am not having any issues with reboots or crashes or lockups.
My kindle does have the 3.0.3 firmware, which I downloaded and installed the first day or two that it was out.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
bonsai

I have the basic cover, not the lighted cover. And I upgraded to 3.0.3, too, but that didn't solve the problem.

Still no reboots since I took the cover off. I'm getting pretty optimistic about it. If this holds, I have to decide if I should have Amazon replace the cover, or just return it and get an off-brand case that doesn't use the hinges...
Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
The lower hinge is close to the serial connector. So that may be a possible reason for reboots.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96442
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
or that the lighted cover is causing a short directly? there's a connector in there that hits some pins if I'm not mistaken.. causing a short could = reboot for sure. Make sure the pins on the light aren't tweaked. It's also possible that the connector pins inside are shorting, but I doubt this.

If your cover isn't lighted, there may be metal tabs that go in there? I don't know, but there is a connector in there that has voltage, so if it's shorting it out.. bad. Check the leads, see if they look defective. I have no idea how they work, or if they are clips or something. If they are metal, that could be causing a short, or I could be wrong entirely.

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
bonsai

Aha! I didn't realize that the electricity on the lighted cover goes through the hinge. So it makes perfect sense that if there's a defective hinge, it could cause electrical problems -- causing the reboot. That must be the problem.

Assuming I continue to have no problems with the cover-less Kindle for the next day or so, I'll call Amazon and see if I can exchange my case...
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
skip it.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-14-2010 at 08:49 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
bonsai

I guess even for the non-lighted cover, a defective hinge can cause electrical problems. Thanks to everyone for help figuring this out.

It would've been nice if Amazon customer service knew that the hinge could cause this problem. Frustrating that I had to discover it by researching on my own and getting help from folks here...
Old 11-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Just one more suggestion - just because it does not reboot when outside of the case does not mean it is not a defective Kindle as opposed to the case. Either could house the defect. Some part in the kindle could be misaligned.

I'm not sure from reading above - does your case contain a light or not?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
bonsai

No light on the case -- it's a standard case.

I believe the problem is with the case, though, because it's happened on two different Kindles - Amazon has already replaced the original. They're actually sending me a third Kindle, which should arrive tomorrow (I called before thinking that the case could be the problem). I'll try the case in the new one, too, but I expect to get reboots there, too.

At this point, with the case on, it's rebooting about once every 30-45 minutes. I've been caseless for about 27 hours now, and haven't had any reboots.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
I think these cases have some hard pressure at some point or causes the Kindle case to get some bending this causing the contact problems in the motherboard inside. Kindle 3 casing (device case, not cover) are too fragile.

I use Tuff-Luv case with stand (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuff-Luv-Lea...9914202&sr=8-4) and never experienced any rebooting issues.

Last edited by enkov; 11-16-2010 at 08:33 AM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reboot case