Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #76
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
This is where the IOSRA plugin came unstuck. It worked by copying the Marvin database off the device to your Calibre device, so that the plugin could read the Marvin meta data from a local copy of the database. This meant it could keep Calibre's meta data in sync with Marvin, and it did not require any direct interfacing to Marvin.

The IOS security changes put a stop to this by hiding the location where Marvin stores its database, so the plugin can no longer read it. One solution would be for Marvin to store its meta data database in a location that is publically available. Assuming Marvin 3 uses the same database schema as Marvin 2, then this would only require minimal changes to the plugin. However, the schema may be totally different...I have no idea.

I got the impression that Kris was eventually going to provide a more robust API in M3 for third parties to use to connect to Marvin...but I have not seen anything about this for some time.
There are a lot of different ways to get the job done. I've learned over the years not to criticize the choices made unless I know the circumstances behind the choice.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #77
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
I have Calibre embed the metadata in my epubs. I can see the metadata.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #78
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
I haven’t visited the forum for a couple months – I guess I’ve been too busy reading!

Loving Marvin 3. I mentioned my #1 request a while back, but I’ll play the squeaky wheel again. Currently, we can set the length of the “Recently Opened” list to 3, 5, 8, or 12 items. I would really appreciate the ability to set it much higher… perhaps from 30 to 50.

I tend to read many things in parallel, and I’m constantly adding and auditioning new files. So quite often, the pubs I’m actually focusing on scroll right off the “Recently Opened” list.

(edit) And given my advanced years, sometimes this means that they escape my attention altogether. (/edit)

Yes, I know… I could pare down my reading list (now around 160 or so) or make another dedicated collection for my current bookshelf. Still, it would be extremely convenient for me to just have a longer running list available. Pretty please?

Thanks again for a fantastic app.

Last edited by randyman; 10-16-2016 at 04:26 PM.
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #79
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman View Post
I haven’t visited the forum for a couple months – I guess I’ve been too busy reading!

Loving Marvin 3. I mentioned my #1 request a while back, but I’ll play the squeaky wheel again. Currently, we can set the length of the “Recently Opened” list to 3, 5, 8, or 12 items. I would really appreciate the ability to set it much higher… perhaps from 30 to 50.

I tend to read many things in parallel, and I’m constantly adding and auditioning new files. So quite often, the pubs I’m actually focusing on scroll right off the “Recently Opened” list.

Yes, I know… I could pare down my reading list (now around 160 or so) or make another dedicated collection for my current bookshelf. Still, it would be extremely convenient for me to just have a longer running list available. Pretty please?

Thanks again for a fantastic app.
This is similar to a request I made a while ago but I had a special twist...allowing the user to select a series of books that are switched after a set amount of time has passed between readings. For example setting a timer of ten minutes causes Marvin 3.0 to switch to another book on the reading list allowing you to read uninterrupted with no interference from the viewer. This way the user can read multiple books in a systematic way without procrastinating between titles.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #80
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spfamy1 View Post
This is similar to a request I made a while ago but I had a special twist...allowing the user to select a series of books that are switched after a set amount of time has passed between readings.
That’s a fascinating idea! Kind of an automated reading buffet.
Advert
Old 10-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #81
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman View Post
... Currently, we can set the length of the “Recently Opened” list to 3, 5, 8, or 12 items. I would really appreciate the ability to set it much higher… perhaps from 30 to 50. ...
An alternative is to make the "Recently Opened" list as long as the number of books in the library, like the "Sort by Date Last Read" list of MapleRead.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #82
Jsolomon
Jsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Marvin on iPad mini 2 & iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
An alternative is to make the "Recently Opened" list as long as the number of books in the library, like the "Sort by Date Last Read" list of MapleRead.
Marvin does already have the ability to sort the library by date last opened...
Jsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #83
randyman
Enthusiast

Jsolomon and cedhax, thank you. Marvin 3 is so feature-rich that I overlooked this – or hell, why make excuses… maybe I’m just an idiot.

This is a huge help. I sorted both “All My Books” and my reading list this way, and now I can easily see everything that disappeared after getting caught in the undertow. I should have known that Kris would have me covered.

A few quick taps let me fill my “Recently Opened” list with the highest-priority reads – not that I even need it any more, since my other lists stay sorted by date. Fantastic! Thanks again; this makes a huge difference for me. I can’t believe I overlooked it.

Last edited by randyman; 10-18-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #84
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
randyman, don't feel bad about it. IMHO, many aspects of Marvin 3 UI are far from intuitive. Sometimes this reminds me of the difference between DOS/Windows and MacOS (pre and post OS X).
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #85
Fralippo
Fralippo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
The most important requests from me so far:

-Calculate remaining reading time-
I read this has been requested elsewhere, but either by automatically (ideally) or even manually (simpler to implement?) calculating your reading speed and thus remaining reading time for a text would be tremendously useful!

-Also, exporting full text with highlights / annotations etc.

Thanks!
Fralippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #86
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Exporting full text would be a copyright violation. With Kris in jail you'd never see Marvin 4.0

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #87
Spfamy1
Connoisseur
Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Spfamy1 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
I think there's one feature that Marvin needs that doesn't require much coding...and that's the inclusion of Bold Style fonts. I find it incredible that Marvin doesn't have Bold as a option for the current set of fonts included. I currently use Open Sans...which to me is a perfectly sized font for the way it looks on the screen...but I'm annoyed that there's no Open Sans "Bold" option.

Because I believe this is the one flaw in Marvin 3.0 the lack of bold fonts out of the box. The only alternative is to use the Volkov font (which is included)...but I don't like this font because it's too thick. So, Kris...if you're reading this...please consider giving us the option to choose bold when selecting fonts.
Spfamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #88
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
I think there's one feature that Marvin needs that doesn't require much coding...and that's the inclusion of Bold Style fonts. I find it incredible that Marvin doesn't have Bold as a option for the current set of fonts included. I currently use Open Sans...which to me is a perfectly sized font for the way it looks on the screen...but I'm annoyed that there's no Open Sans "Bold" option.
It is possible to add your own fonts. Marvin has a tutorial here.

I use the font Chareink made by JSWolf. It is a quite heavy font probably specially designed for eink, but I also like it very much for Marvin.

The font is available here.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #89
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:

Because I believe this is the one flaw in Marvin 3.0 the lack of bold fonts out of the box. The only alternative is to use the Volkov font (which is included)...but I don't like this font because it's too thick. So, Kris...if you're reading this...please consider giving us the option to choose bold when selecting fonts.
I'm not sure what you mean here - are you saying to allow the user to specify 4 fonts, indicating which is normal, bold, bold+italic, italic? Or to set the default weight if you're installing multiple weights?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #90
KLF
KLF began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini 2
Sweet. Forum logged me out and I lost the long detailed post I had typed. Newb error for not saving it first on notepad

Short version: toggle for Extra Dimming could be implemented in the brigthness slider sun icon.

Longer version: it is pretty much the only feature I use every day when I read, change between 'bright' 15% or extra dimming depending on ambient lighting as I change places often.

Also the main reason I haven't yet upgraded. I'm using both 2 and 3 side-by-side and seem to return to old one when I'm reading.
KLF is offline   Reply With Quote