Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 05-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #46
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
... I'm hoping late next week or the following one but (disclaimer) please understand that everything hinges on not discovering problems before then ...
Exciting!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #47
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Quote:
There are two setups. (a) The system dictionary in which case you have access to all the dictionaries (there are many) natively supported by iOS, or (b) you can set up your own web-based dictionary that can point to whatever you like.
I'm not sure if it's possible to change how the system dictionary appears on iPhone. Like popup footnotes, it appears fullscreen with a close button at the top left. On newer larger devices, that's quite an effort to close and a true popup I'd consider a small yet so helpful addition.

I was using Marvin 2 the other day and now that I use the dictionary more, I was also thinking like other eReaders and eReader commercial apps, perhaps there could be a setting to by default when highlighting a word, show a bottom panel with definition. For languages I'm not so great at, tremendous utility.

Plus: to repeat a request I've mentioned a few times, perhaps OPDS could later be made more simpler. Distinguishing between personal OPDS servers like Calibre, if I could access it with less clicks, if it even cached and updated in the background when I searched, or even the pull down search for my library had an option to include personal OPDS servers, if in a OPDS book list, already downloaded books were marked as already downloaded (if that were possible), some of those things I now almost consider essential. Some of us have libraries large enough, that quick access to remote libraries almost becomes a must. If tapping download didn't have a confirmation, a small detail, and also updated its status in the table row, so one could continue to browse and search during download, that too would be a nice thing.

Last edited by democrite; 05-27-2016 at 08:52 PM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 04:23 AM   #48
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
There are two setups. (a) The system dictionary in which case you have access to all the dictionaries (there are many) natively supported by iOS, or (b) you can set up your own web-based dictionary that can point to whatever you like.
As an example of b). I have used the following command to activate a web based dictionary. (See the Marvin tutorial)

http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word={define}&dict=auto

It is a Danish site and one language is always Danish. The shown command will do a lookup in all languages that you have subscribed to.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #49
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@democrite M3 will support dictionaries (even web-based ones) in popups. I'm also looking into the "panel" dictionary. Also, in M3, there will be a special OPDS auto detect mode to find calibre servers on your local network.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #50
vs40
vs40 is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW 11 JB
Quote:
There's one bug that's driving me nuts but I'm confident I'll fix within the next two days. After that, I'll let the testers play around with it for about a week, and if there aren't any problems, I'll ship to Apple for review and release.
It seems we will see Marvin 3 at the and of this week?

Quote:
Thankfully it seems that they're reviewing apps much faster than usual.
Yep! Apple reduced review time to 24h
vs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 03:40 AM   #51
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
@democrite M3 will support dictionaries (even web-based ones) in popups. I'm also looking into the "panel" dictionary. Also, in M3, there will be a special OPDS auto detect mode to find calibre servers on your local network.
Autodetect, YAY!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 AM   #52
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Any hints when Marvin 3 might make its official non-beta debut? It's okay if you can't say. I just have to ask because the suspense is killing me

Also, I'm happy to pay full price for apps I appreciate. I don't really understand why some people balk at paying for apps, but willingly fork over money for movies, beer, coffee, cookies — all things that can only be enjoyed a few minutes or a couple hours, compared to years of enjoyment from a good app.
Me too. I have paid for what seems like dozens of ebook readers for iOS. Of those, Marvin and Shubook are the only ones left standing (I still use Stanza, as well)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #53
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Here's a list of Marvin 3.0's features for those who don't follow the blog.

http://blog.appstafarian.com/post/14...vin-30-updated
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #54
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Here's a list of Marvin 3.0's features for those who don't follow the blog.

http://blog.appstafarian.com/post/14...vin-30-updated
Does the iPad Pro support imply handwritten annotations?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #55
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Does the iPad Pro support imply handwritten annotations?
Unfortunately, not (yet), but I've been arguing for the feature for years.

But I would appreciate audio annotations even more: in the annotations pop-up window, you press a microphone button and dictate whatever needs to be caputured – that's even faster than jotting down a thought, especially a longer one.

And, I would appreciate the adding of video annotations to Marvin as well: in the annotations pop-up window, you press a camcorder button and record a (likely selfie) videoclip, speaking your annotation.

The audio annotations would be stored in the cloud (Dropbox, Google Drive, whatever), and video annotations would likewise be stored in the cloud (YouTube, Vimeo, whatever) – only the link to download/listen to/view that annotation would be automatically inserted into Marvin's annotations pop-up window in that particular spot. (Otherwise, storing audio and video annotations along with the EPUB files would bloat their size too much.)

Am I dreaming too much? I certainly hope not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
You should fix your forum signature, I think – this line doesn't belong in the body of your forum messages. Confusing like hell, every time.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #56
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
I'm exploring different annotations options including both scribbling on the page and audio notes.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #57
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Fantastic news.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #58
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... The beta is doing very well ... if there aren't any problems, I'll ship to Apple for review and release ... I'm hoping late next week or the following one but (disclaimer) please understand that everything hinges on not discovering problems before then ...
Hi there! Is it okay to ask how the beta is going? Not pushing. Just trying to manage expectations — like counting the days to Christmas
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #59
vs40
vs40 is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW 11 JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Hi there! Is it okay to ask how the beta is going? Not pushing. Just trying to manage expectations — like counting the days to Christmas
Me to! So excited about final release!
vs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #60
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I'm still wondering whether M3 will import my existing Marvin library.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote