Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Lancer_325
Lancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPhone
Page # in margins. Is it possible?

Quick question. Have been using bluefire reader previously and it has the ability to show page # in the margin. This shows the actual page number of the paper book and is a very handy little setting which bluefire had to be able to know the loaction of the book. I used this for sharing my reading location on a popular reading app.....Anyway does Marvin have this ability or setting? Have been searching and couldn't find any reference and have been fiddling around in setings but could not find it. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Lancer_325; 06-16-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Lancer_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
No, Marvin doesn't support that.

Are you sure about the dead-tree-book page number? Which edition of the book is the reference? Hard-cover or paperback?
Or are those possibly ADE-style page numbers? (The latter being a feature Kris at least considered adding.)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bluefire is shown the ADE page number unless there is apage map to remap the page numbers. So in most cases, the page numbers you are seeing from Bluefire in the margin has nothing at all to do with the page number of the paper edition. Besides, if there is a hardcover, the eBook comes out at the same time and if there was a page map, it would match the hardcover and not the forthcoming page number). So you can now turn off the page numbers in the margin. They have nothing to do with the pBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #4
Lancer_325
Lancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPhone
Ok I stand corrected, yes it is ADE page numbering. Thanks for the replies.
Lancer_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I'm here to give support to page numbers. The latest reason: outlander. I started the series a couple months ago. Had I of known the number of pages, in relation to other books i've read, I might not have started it. That said, as I was reading along I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long. Then I went to costco and saw how monstrous the books are. Hmm, mystery solved.

Page numbers. They're not just for breakfast anymore. Even if they are just a general guide, it helps. The chapter guides are confusing and I still can't figure out where the divot marker is in relation to where you are in the whole book.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been asking for ADE style page numbers for some time. That's the best way to do page numbers so if you switch to an ADE based reader or app, then you can find where you are in the book a lot easier then having to do a search.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
The algorithm behind ADE style numbering is in the MobileRead Wiki. It doesn't appear to be rocket science - it's essentially 1024 characters per page with some tweaks around end of chapters and compression.
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I've asked also for ADE page numbering also. I don't care about my place in the chapter, I care about my place in the book. As soon as there are page numbers, I"ll purchase the upgraded ap.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We should have ADE style page number in the footer, not in the margins.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
To be honest, I'm on the page-numbering-is-not-a-good-idea side of the fence and think that ADE page numbers are an arbitrary estimate (just like a percentage).

Still, I know that it is something that some people feel strongly about so it is still on my feature requests list.

If you're interested in your position in the whole book (not the current chapter only), Marvin shows you that percentage progress as well.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
To be honest, I'm on the page-numbering-is-not-a-good-idea side of the fence and think that ADE page numbers are an arbitrary estimate (just like a percentage).

Still, I know that it is something that some people feel strongly about so it is still on my feature requests list.

If you're interested in your position in the whole book (not the current chapter only), Marvin shows you that percentage progress as well.
Yes it is an arbitrary reference but it is in numbers a user is used to. 100 units on a 5 hundred page book isn't particularly a very close estimate. 500 units would be better.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post

ADE style page numbers is something a lot of us have grown used to using ADE based software either on the computer or on a Reader/phone/tablet. To me, ADE style page numbers mean more then a percentage. A percentage does not tell me how big the book is. 50% of a 175,000 page book is very different then 50% of a 98,000 page book. But ADE style page numbers shows more clear information. I know more of where I am in a book when I am at page 75 of 230 then I do at 34%. Also, another important reason for ADE style page number is if I am reading with Marvin and I want to switch to reading on my T1, it's a lot easier to find where I am when I am on page 75.

I feel strongly that ADE style page numbers is important enough to be put at the top of the list of features to add to Marvin.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-21-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
+1 for page numbers of some sort (ADE-style or otherwise).

They're a lot more useful than a percentage in that they give you an indication of the size of a book (100 pages, 300 pages, 500 pages, 800 pages), not just your position in the book.

Thanks for considering this.

Last edited by Jane12; 12-07-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #14
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I had to look up a discovery of witches to see how many pages. It is 600 so a pretty long book. This helps me determine how long it will take me to read it. Sure would be nice to not have to look it up. Btw, you already have a worthless page numbering system. Marvin tells how many pages in a chapter, plus it knows the number of chapters. What people use that information for - I have no idea. Just offer a replacement option to show total number of pages in options or something.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
It's arbitrary for some people, but how about when you're reading a book academically and need to cite the page number?

Right now I'm trying to figure out the page number and it's a mess.

Last edited by bounce; 12-07-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote