Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Woomera
Woomera began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Calibre & Adobe Digital Editions

I don't own an ereader ( yet ) but I'm trying to help a friend get going with her new Kobo Wi-Fi reader. She's interested in borrowing from the local library and I understand that we need ADE for that.

I installed Calibre on my computer to check it out , and it seems great , very user friendly.

My question is can Calibre and ADE both be used , or are the potential conflicts , and should they have separate libraries , or share a common folder ?

I was thinking if giving them each their own folder , and just using ADE to manage the library's books . Is that the right approach ?

Many Thanks
Woomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
People make different choices. You will need ADE for books with Adobe Digital DRM that you wish to sideload onto your Touch. My preference is to use the folder ADE sets up only for those books.

I have my entire library on the folder I have set up for Calibre. It is my personal archive and all of the books in it are magically drm free. I do not put library books in my Calibre folder. I load them onto my Touch using Adobe ADE.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Calibre & ADE can both be used. My suggestion (not sure if it's necessary or not) but is to only upload to your Kobo from one program at a time - e.g. load books using Calibre, then eject device, let it refresh db; then do the same with ADE. This will avoid possible db conflicts.

Calibre & ADE by default use different folder systems. ADE has a weird bug in it (at least my copy does) where even if you delete a book from the software, it doesn't delete it from your hard drive. When you read & return a lot of library books this can add up - so I often go in and delete everything. So for this reason, it would be sensible to keep Calibre & ADE folders separate. Plus Calibre's default folder system is very nice (separate folders for authors, then books - similar to iTunes music folder)
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I borrowed my first ebook yesterday from the library and this is what I did. Seems to work well and avoids confusion. All my other books are managed with Calibre.

Now if only I could get ADE working on Linux via wine (or otherwise), I could avoid having to reboot into MSWin. Sigh.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Woomera
Woomera began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Thanks to all. My friend is a senior and I'm trying to make it 'easy ' for her...just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try to show her.

Cheers ( I'll be back , I'm sure..)
Woomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert