Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
RobbieS
RobbieS began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Exclamation Frustrating Calibre pdf to epub (iPad) problem

I have searched the forums but I can not find what I am looking for so I apologize if this has been already posted and discussed. I am currently using Calibre version 0.7.1, the most up-to-date converter. I am trying to convert several pdf files to epub files to add to my iPad iBook app. However, EVERY pdf I convert for some reason flips the epub converted file upside down. There are no images- just pages with words. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but it is extremely frustrating
So, I decided to use Mac preview and flip the pdf upside down, save, and then use this reversed file hoping Calibre would continue with its habit and flip it right side up- but it is still upside down. Why is it that no mater what direction the pdf is originaly in- it continues to flip the epub file upside down?! At this point I know I can just rotate the iPad, but I would rather have it the correct way.
I am using:
MacBookPro4,1
snow leopard v10.6.3
2.4 ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo

Should I try another program because this has a bug? and if so, could one be recommended? or is it just a stupid simple mistake (like a missed check mark somewhere)
Again, I am sorry if this is an annoying/repeated post- but I would appreciate all and any help that someone may be able to offer me. (I am sure some of you are reading this and would love to make a comment about my 'stupid' problem- but please, if someone can point m in the right direction i would be extremely grateful! I am sure that after all these attempts someone can relate to my frustration.
for any and all help in advance!
Sincerely, Robbie
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Cosmo860
Cosmo860 began at the beginning.

Try using the earlier version 6.54 i am using that one and its fine however when I did an upgrade to 6.7 I was having problems of the files being recognised so I reverted back to 6.54 avail on the download page under earlier versions
Cosmo860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First stop using that Bold, Red, Fat Ariel font when posting. People will pass right by and not bother even reading it. I know I won't bother with another badly colored post by you in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieS View Post
However, EVERY pdf I convert for some reason flips the epub converted file upside down. There are no images- just pages with words.
This is just a guess but I think your entire document is nothing but images. Images being turned upside down is a known bug in the current pdftohtml engine used by calibre. It would seem that your pdf is a scan of a document and still in its image form.

Quote:
At this point I know I can just rotate the iPad, but I would rather have it the correct way.

Should I try another program because this has a bug? and if so, could one be recommended?
Instead of recommending another program to help you convert the file I'm recommending a program that will allow you to read the PDFs on your iPad without fustration of converting your PDFs to ePubs.

Buy GoodReader for $0.99 and stop the conversion madness. Read more on PDF viewing and iPad here.

Quote:
Again, I am sorry if this is an annoying/repeated post-
Again the only thing annoying was the horrible way you formatted your post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
First stop using that Bold, Red, Fat Ariel font when posting. People will pass right by and not bother even reading it. I know I won't bother with another badly colored post by you in the future.
That's why I skipped it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
RobbieS
RobbieS began at the beginning.

Well, first off, dwanthny, let me start by apologizing. My frustration got a hold of me and i figured that bold and red would grab attention and help- instead of the exact opposite. wont happen again.
I have goodreader, it is a great app and all my pdfs are loaded into it already and readable. I personally feel that is the best pdf reader i have purchased so far- wish it was the first. lol.
I see what you are saying, makes sense that it is an image because when i try to highlight certain sections in iBook, it will select the whole page. I don't know why that didnt occur to me- sometimes the most simple explanations are the easiest. So thank you for the info.
Now, I know that this is again kind of stupid, but the reason i wanted them in iBook and not goodreader was because I love the iBook format, i like how you can flip through pages, highlight and bookmark, etc.
I do not have the original file of the pdf that was scanned by my professor, so all I have to work with is this pdf file at the moment. Is there a way that I can alter the pdf to recognize it as text and not images? A program already on the mac, or one that I can purchase? This way I can recreate the pdf as words instead of images, and then continue to use calibre as the second step.
Thank you again for the help so far
Sincerely, Rob
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Is there a way that I can alter the pdf to recognize it as text and not images?
You can use Adobe Acrobat's OCR (Optical Character Recognition) capabilities. Searching for PDF and OCR will give you some other options. (Thanks for not using the previous font)
Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
greatbam
greatbam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Well you have many different options depending on what programs you have. I am going to assume you have adobe reader on your Mac so what I would do if you can is pull that up:

1. Open the pdf you want to change.
2. Go the the file menu and select save as text it should copy the text from the file into a text file.
3. paste that text into a word document
4. copy and paste images from adobe pdf and insert appropriately.
5. save your word document as web page, filtered(html).
6. convert your html file into an epub file. All your images should show up correctly.
greatbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbam View Post
Well you have many different options depending on what programs you have. I am going to assume you have adobe reader on your Mac so what I would do if you can is pull that up:

1. Open the pdf you want to change.
2. Go the the file menu and select save as text it should copy the text from the file into a text file.
3. paste that text into a word document
Adobe Reader won't produce any text in step 2. His books are scanned pages (images) not text. He wants text, not images of text, and that requires an OCR step that Reader can't do.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
He wants text, not images of text, and that requires an OCR step that Reader can't do.
If the issue is cost, then perhaps gocr (gnu ocr) will do the trick? I haven't tried to scan large images, but I have had great success using it to detect image spam.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If the issue is cost, then perhaps gocr (gnu ocr) will do the trick? I haven't tried to scan large images, but I have had great success using it to detect image spam.
I've seen a couple of free OCR programs, but I haven't tried them, so I hesitated to reference them.