Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Astak EZReader vs. BeBook

I have been considering buying a second ebook reader and although I love my Sony 505 it has been having issues lately. When I got the Sony I had been looking at the BeBook, mostly because it supported .mobi and .prc files. I have been following the Astak forum here on and off and am impressed by how often reps from Astak not only post, but also take the ideas of the forum members into consideration.

I would like to get an Astak device, but the web site seems to be vague about being able to support .mobi files...it says that one of the file formats supported is .prc, but does not list .mobi and goes on to show that it is not one of the DRM file formats supported. This seems to be contradiction seeing as .prc is generally meant to mean DRMed .mobi files (I realize the two are more or less interchangeable, but that is not how they are always presented).

The BeBook web site is quite clear that it does support .mobi and .prc and that it will have zero issues using DRM files for those formats. Seeing as I can strip DRM off of .prc files and make them .mobi files or convert them to whatever it seems like a minor point to be concerned about, but honestly I am just not crazy about HAVING to strip and convert files, I would much rather find a device that I can simply upload my content onto and be done with it. I didn't but an ereader so that I could learn how to monkey with file formats, I bought it to read books.

Soooo, does anyone know if the Astak devices allow you to view .mobi files and if you can also view DRMed .prc files? The DRM part I can live without, it's not a huge point, but not being able to view .mobi files would be a deal breaker for me. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Not wanting to big up the Astak devices but yes they can read non DRM'd Mobi. I am not sure where you got the details for the BeBook from. Currently the BeBook mini does not support DRM'd Mobi (never has) but does support non DRM'd Mobi. The BeBook 1 no longer supports DRM'd Mobi but there is an old firmware available on the Website that does enable the reading of DRM'd Mobi but will not read DRM'd Epub/PDF. As with the mini it still supports non DRM'd Mobi.
You do realize that the Bebook models are the same as the Astak PP and the EZ reader. They are simply re-badged machines from Jinke and as such you can use any of the firmwares from other resellers and Jinke themselves.
Hope that makes sense.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I knew that the two devices were basically the same hardware, but I was more interested in the firmware and support. I guess I was inferring the DRM for .prc from the old site info and from the fact that mobipocket's web site listed the BeBook as one of the devices which can view its content. If any of the devices can use any of the firmware designed for any of the hardware then I guess it really doesn't matter which one I decide to go with.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
If you use the Tirwal firmware you will be able to read both ADE and Mobi books.
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
I knew that the two devices were basically the same hardware, but I was more interested in the firmware and support. I guess I was inferring the DRM for .prc from the old site info and from the fact that mobipocket's web site listed the BeBook as one of the devices which can view its content. If any of the devices can use any of the firmware designed for any of the hardware then I guess it really doesn't matter which one I decide to go with.
The difference in the two device is just the logos. Exactly you can use any of the firmwares available for the V3 clones (lbook, Bebook, Hanlin, Astak. openinkpot..). I assume the decision depends on the price mostly, get the cheaper.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
If you use the Tirwal firmware you will be able to read both ADE and Mobi books.
Both drm'd?

...and I didn't think the Tirwal firmware works in the (IMO) better v5/Pocket Pro devices.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Both DRM's yes. The Tirwal release repackage the old mobi parser with the latest ADE plus several other enhancements from a variety of V3 firmware releases and other desirable mods.
It is *solely* for the V3 hardware not the V5.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote