Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
naquada
naquada began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
Borrowing eBooks From Libraries

I'd hoped that my local library (Reading, UK) would have the ability to borrow Ebooks but it seems it doesnt

a lot of libraries run an ebook borrowing service through Overdrive (www.overdrive.com) you can hunt for libraries close to you through their partner search at - http://search.overdrive.com/

Theres a whole bunch in the USA and other countries and in the uk Bedfordshire, Croydon, Dorset, Essex, Hatfield, Kensington and Chelsea, Kent, Maidenhead, Merseyside, Wessex, and West Berkshire libraries all support ebook borrowing..

The Sony site only lists a few of the UK (4 i think!)

apologies if you already know this but seems a great way to borrow ebooks.. for free
naquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, naquada

Thanks for the information,.......even if some of us already know it, its something that can't be posted too often!

Enjoy some of the free books available here....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by naquada View Post
The Sony site only lists a few of the UK (4 i think!)
I've a feeling that page on the Sony site is only listing a "random" 4 based on some kind of IP lookup. When I look at that page it shows me the names of 2/3 of the libraries in Ireland that are listed on the Overdrive site, and then a couple of random ones from the UK to fill in the space.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think the 4 it lists are the only 4 in the UK doing eBooks - I did a post about it on my website - Free eBooks from your local library? but what I don't spell out there is that you don't actually need to live in Essex to sign up for their lending program...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Welcome naquada, and thanks for reminding me. I had been meaning to sign up in a library but kept forgetting. Thanks for the extra info Gwyn, it's true that the Essex library lets you sign up regardless of where in the UK you live. Their collection is not great, but I expect it will be growing.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I saw the Essex Library said you could join if you lived or worked in Essex, didn't realise that you could still get e-books though. I shall go and have a look...
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

In the registration form, there was a drop-down menu for county, and it listed Hertfordshire among others. I took it to mean that I could register even though I lived in Hertfordshire... Have already borrowed an ebook and an audiobook. About half of their ebook collection is in mobi format, the other half epub, if anyone's interested.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I've got a registration number, but the e-mail says I need to 'collect a library card' from an Essex library...bit tricky!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
omk3
Wizard

I took it to mean that you need a library card if you want to borrow physical items. I logged in with my email and password and borrowed my books just fine, and I've never been near Essex.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
K8Ereader
Connoisseur

So is it the elan number or the pin needed to 'sign in' for ebooks? These are the only numbers I have, I thought maybe the card had yet another number...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
omk3
Wizard

It's one of those, I don't remember which
I got it right after two or three tries. Username is your email, password one of the other numbers you got, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
K8Ereader
Connoisseur

Thanks for your help, I'm at least allowed to place things in basket now! Looking good for borrowing my first ebook by the end of the day...if I can decide...

And it worked! Thanks again. Didn't need the username, just the reference number, odd but there you go.
I had the choice of 7, 14 or 21 day loan which was an unexpected bonus

Last edited by K8Ereader; 01-07-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
omk3
Wizard

Good luck choosing your first library ebook
You can also place on hold items that are currently read by someone else. You are supposed to be notified by email when they are "returned".
Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
In the registration form, there was a drop-down menu for county, and it listed Hertfordshire among others. I took it to mean that I could register even though I lived in Hertfordshire... Have already borrowed an ebook and an audiobook. About half of their ebook collection is in mobi format, the other half epub, if anyone's interested.
I cannot see anywhere to register on their libraries website, where abouts is it hidden?
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
omk3
Wizard

Here's the link.
It is a bit hidden, admittedly.