Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Sultan Rahi
Sultan Rahi began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516
Unhappy How does it work*?

Well, I already ask for help some months ago, and had some good answers but my problem remained. I give up and said to myself that, well nothing can be done. But no, I’m stubborn and I do want to read epub on my Hanvon N516 and I will.

So what’s the problem ?
I’m in China where I bought a N516, though I wanted a Hanlin V3, big mistake. It’s all in Chinese, ok, no big deal, but the firmware sucks big and I want to change it to OpenInkpot.
I followed the Installation guide but Windows (not mine, I’m on Ubuntu) can’t detect it. I tried on two computers.

# Connect the device via USB.
Ok

# Push the 'Rotate' button and power on the device.
What does that mean anyway ? I pushed it, pressed it, push up and down, two seconds, two minutes, pressed before after in the same time as the power on button, with a previous reset, and then :

# New device will appear in your system, point to this directory for driver.
No. Nothing appeared. Two times two hours trying that and nothing appeared.

Where am I wrong ?

For information, my N516 have this firmware : N516标准版 升级包V24210
and I used these files to do the upgrades : flash.cramfs, flash.cramfs.md5.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan Rahi View Post
# Push the 'Rotate' button and power on the device.
What does that mean anyway ? I pushed it, pressed it, push up and down, two seconds, two minutes, pressed before after in the same time as the power on button, with a previous reset, and then :
That mean: push and hold the 'Rotate' button and then press power button rapidly (you can also press reset button instead of power button). Then release the 'Rotate' button.

Quote:
For information, my N516 have this firmware : N516标准版 升级包V24210
and I used these files to do the upgrades : flash.cramfs, flash.cramfs.md5.
Hm. I don't know about devices using .cramfs uprade files. Either flashing OI or flashing original firmware back might brick such a device. I do not recommend you trying that.
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Sultan Rahi
Sultan Rahi began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516
Thanks. I will not try it so. I think that the first version of the N516 were using it and that Hanvon quickly changed it to what is it today.

I will keep reading PDF and wait for an update.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan Rahi View Post
Thanks. I will not try it so. I think that the first version of the N516 were using it and that Hanvon quickly changed it to what is it today.

I will keep reading PDF and wait for an update.

There is an original firmware with epub support:
http://www.hanvon.com/de/download/Eb..._2.2.7.2.0.rar

But it is not the .cramfs update. Try asking Hanvon if it is possible to install this update on your device.