Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
How can an international user buy and use Amazon Kindle?

There should be a stickied article about this, that would be great.

I'm very tempted to buy a Kindle DX. However, it's for USA only. Even if I manage to get it (ebay, for example), I wouldn't be able to use the online store!

I've noticed many people around here outside USA that have kindles, so I would like to know how did you get one and how do you manage to use the amazon store.

What are the possible solutions for international users?

Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Well, I have heard of people using gift cards....
If you have a friend that already has an account you could always have them add you to their account and then they can email you the books...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, the hassle to purchase content from Amazon for a DX is not worth the hassle. Why not wait for other companies to come out with a large screen reader that will be better for non-USA usage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I will repost what I said in another thread:

I live in Italy and less than a year ago I bought a kindle1 from a US ebayer, there are serious disadvantages in doing that:

1)I had to pay the import duty and VAT (about 20% of the final price)
2)Shipping costs were relatively high (about 50$)
3)Amazon doesn't offer digital contents from the kindle store to international customers.
4)whispernet doesn't work in Europe, there is no infrastructure for it.

I was aware of all the above points nonetheless I couldn't resist, but surely I would not recommend doing that.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Contact Mike L, he's written about his experience.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The best way is to find someone in the USA willing to purchase it for you. You might be able to find someone will to do it on mobileread, but of course you have to trust them, because they would require the money up front before creating the account for you and purchasing the reader. Not easy.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

myus.com (*) -> Premium Membership -> enable low declared value
gift cards -> kindle store
whispernet -> who wants that?

It's easy.

(*) Or another

Why not wait for other companies?
Why wait? What companies? As we say here in spain, better a bird in hand than 100 flying ones.
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
Why wait? What companies? As we say here in spain, better a bird in hand than 100 flying ones.
Wise words, young Padawan.

I think the English equivalent is "Early bird catch the worm".
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I just want to complete Daffy4u's post. I have posted and exchanged with MikeL (he's from the UK I think...) on the subject. I also bought a few weeks ago my K2 and it is totally worth it. I'm just disappointed that I didn't wait a little bit more, I really like the DX...it is expensive though...

The method is quite simple, you just need a US address (friend or family member) and you use gift certificates. You manage the rest via your Amazon account and USB cable. I was also able to register my K2 wirelessly during a recent visit to the US. Life is good !

I strongly recommend the move !

Ciao

stegar
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteGar View Post
I just want to complete Daffy4u's post. I have posted and exchanged with MikeL (he's from the UK I think...) on the subject. I also bought a few weeks ago my K2 and it is totally worth it. I'm just disappointed that I didn't wait a little bit more, I really like the DX...it is expensive though...

The method is quite simple, you just need a US address (friend or family member) and you use gift certificates. You manage the rest via your Amazon account and USB cable. I was also able to register my K2 wirelessly during a recent visit to the US. Life is good !

I strongly recommend the move !

Ciao

stegar
Congratulations! Since you're in Canada, would it be difficult for you to return the K2 for the DX (except for the expensive part)?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Yeah, it would be a bit of a drag... But you raise an interesting point. Is there an exchange program similar to what was done when the K2 was introduced. I did not dream this... a K1 owner could switch for a K2, right??

In any event, for now, my plan is to keep on using my K2 and see what's coming in terms of technology in the next 12/15 months (there appears to be a few nice devices in the pipeline). I think that buying the DX now would be a compulsive buy more than anything else...

Have a great weekend !
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
With international Kindle 2 coming out recently I doubt it will take a long time for international version of Kindle DX to surface. But if you are impatient there is of course NerdGirl's method of buying US Kindle outside of the US, though it's a bit more hassle with recent geographical restrictions based on the IP address
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post

But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post

On the other hand, the early worm gets eaten.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The best way to use Kindle outside the US (I don't know about within the United States) is not to.

There are perfectly good alternatives which are not US-centric, don't cost an arm and a leg to buy and import, don't load the price of titles, don't restrict you to a single bookstore and don't block you from buying books because of some odd copyright problem they have. (Sorry -- I do realise that a mere 70,000 titles are unavailble from Amazon/Kindle outside the US -- shouldn't even have mentioned it, eh?)

Buy a Sony 505 or something else that's decent.

Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote