Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
have kindle2; calibre almost never 'sees' my device. ??

not sure why this is. there's no firewall issue; calibre's 'allowed'. it has worked in the past; just inconsistently.

i can live without it working. the usb cable works fine for e-book transfers. just one of those things that sort of stays in my mind.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If your cable works fine for transfers, then Calibre should see it.

1. Upgrade to the latest version of Calibre.
2. Start Calibre.
3. Plug in Kindle 2.
4. Wait 20 seconds.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Last time I had problems with my K2 not showing up all I did was reset it... since then it had worked like a dream.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yes, I forgot that part. But when my K2's USB stops working Windows can't detect it either. A reset fixes it, like you said.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
beernutz
beernutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post

2. Start Calibre.
3. Plug in Kindle 2.
4. Wait 20 seconds.
I have also had success switching steps 2. and 3. above. Sometimes when I plug my Kindle 2 in after I've started Calibre the USB connection will start and then then immediately disconnect. I've never had a problem when first plugging in the Kindle2 and then starting Calibre, but YMMV.

Of course like has been pointed out, resetting the Kindle2 is a good general-purpose suggestion for fixing this kind of problem too.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post

2. Start Calibre.
3. Plug in Kindle 2.
4. Wait 20 seconds.
i always run the most recent version of calibre. as of now: 0.5.10.

i must be the only person in the world for whom 'instapaper' doesn't work at all, too. perhaps i'm just cursed.

(i don't believe in curses. i've just been 'wired' for so long that i kind of pick my troubleshooting 'battles'. too much life-force wasted, otherwise.)
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

If your frequently having problems even after doing what was described and resetting your Kindle, try a different USB port.