Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
robrah
robrah began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
How to read metadata (book description) from ipad or kindle?

How can I read the "book description" contained in the book metadata when using my ipad or kindle?

If you observe how people select books in a bookstore or library, you notice that they look at the front cover, then the cover flaps, and finally (maybe) the back cover. I know the book metadata contains a "book description" (which is kind of the equivalent of the flaps and back cover), but how can I access that info from my ipad or kindle?

I tend to load dozens of books at a time on my devices and decide later which I want to read. But, alas, no flaps or back covers.
robrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most books (I have never seen a commercially produced one) do not have the book description in the metadata. Kindle does not support the use of it, and I don't believe iBooks does either (nor the Kindle app for iPad).

All you can do is look at the description on the Kindle store. I often create a small .txt file with book descriptions when I buy books that I am not going to read right away, then load it onto my Kindle for reference.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
robrah

You can see the "book description" in the metadata in Calibre.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrah View Post
How can I read the "book description" contained in the book metadata when using my ipad or kindle?
The Kobo reader app for iOS and Android supports reading ebook description metadata. Just tap and hold the cover for the ebook and it'll display the metadata.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
robrah

Thanks for the Kobo tip. I'll try it.
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
You can see the "book description" in the metadata in Calibre.
I wasn't saying that the field doesn't exist, just that most publishers don't populate it, at least as far as I've seen. It isn't required, so they don't bother with it. And, of course, most ereader devices don't support the use of it, as far as I know. I believe that Calibre can populate it from Amazon, at least.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
robrah

I just discovered that I can include the book description by default as the first page in any book I convert in Calibre. This will be shown in any eReader. (Preferences-->Conversion-->Common Options-->Structure Detection-->Insert Metadata as page at start of book)
The formatting is sometimes a little off but the information is entirely readable, and since I convert or re-convert nearly every free book, this solves my problem.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I just discovered that I can include the book description by default as the first page in any book I convert in Calibre. This will be shown in any eReader. (Preferences-->Conversion-->Common Options-->Structure Detection-->Insert Metadata as page at start of book)
The formatting is sometimes a little off but the information is entirely readable, and since I convert or re-convert nearly every free book, this solves my problem.
But that is just turning it into another page.

The metadata is already in the OPF file (if the publisher bothered to fill in the blanks )
ADE (on my PEz) shows you the Basic fields (not the Description/Comments)
The K4 wants to go online
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
bloodynibbler
bloodynibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Kobo Libra
The Kindle's "book description" feature is pretty useless. It only reads Amazon's website, so descriptions provided with the ebook file get ignored. Much of my collection is personal documents converted to ebooks (.mobi) or random ebooks of fanfiction and the like. They often lack an Amazon listing, but do have a concientiously filled summary/description easily viewable in Calibre. None of this shows in Kindle's listing. Calling it "Book Description" is really misleading; it should really be "Go to Amazon".
bloodynibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Nice. Never noticed that one.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote