Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
eshiku
eshiku began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can't SSH or Telnet to Kindle 3

I did the following and still can't telnet or SSH into the Kindle 3

for telnet(on Mac):
1. jailbreak
2. install usbnetwork
3. ;debugON
~usbNetwork
;debugOff
4. telnet 192.168.2.2
5. nothing happens, just keep trying to connect and finally time out

for SSH(on Windows 7 with putty)
1. mount kindle
2. edited config in \usbnet\etc
K3_WIFI="true"
K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true"
3. generated private key with puttyGen
4. saved private key as "authorized_keys.ppk" then removed the "ppk"
now it's "authorized_keys"
5. copy and paste to \usbnet\etc\
6. ;debugON
~usbNetwork
;debugOff
7. open putty and set up connect with kindle's ip address and loaded the
private key in Connection>SSH>auth>under authentication parameters
and connect
8. a window open and asking for username. i type in root
9. it gives "Server unexpectedly closed network connection"

*For both of these different methods, what part did i do wrong?
eshiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think you're doing it basically right. Question is: does the OS (on the Mac) register a network card on the USB port? I.e. does it bring a driver which recognizes the device? And is a correct IP set for it (should be 192.168.2.1)?

(disclaimer: I don't have a Mac, so I can't tell how to configure the network device.)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
try this one https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
eshiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I think you're doing it basically right. Question is: does the OS (on the Mac) register a network card on the USB port? I.e. does it bring a driver which recognizes the device? And is a correct IP set for it (should be 192.168.2.1)?

(disclaimer: I don't have a Mac, so I can't tell how to configure the network device.)
On mac, it doesnt bring up any message/warning about new driver. It just mounts the Kindle.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tt should change its USB mode. So storage should actually deregister (and no further be available) when USB network is on. And after switching it on, a network device should appear. If *this* isn't the case, I'd say the setup doesn't work yet on the kindle. So something must have failed when you installed this. Did you try a full reboot?
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
eshiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post

I tried this also. It gives me the following message

"Authentication log (see session log for details):
Using username "root".

Authentication failed."

Could it be the username is wrong? Are there any other username for the Kindle 3?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
eshiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Tt should change its USB mode. So storage should actually deregister (and no further be available) when USB network is on. And after switching it on, a network device should appear. If *this* isn't the case, I'd say the setup doesn't work yet on the kindle. So something must have failed when you installed this. Did you try a full reboot?
I did restart the device by using "Restart" in Setting menu.

And it was the same after doing so....
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
hawhill
Wizard

Errm, sorry, I'm just seeing it now: Did you use ";debugON" (as you wrote) or ";debugOn"? It should be the latter, of course (but again: I don't know if case is important here).
Also, a log file should be generated when you issue ";debugOn". That wouldn't even depend on jailbreak or usbNetwork. Does it get created? It also might contain hints on why "~usbNetwork" is failing.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
eshiku

I used ";debugOn"

Where do i find the log file?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshiku View Post
I tried this also. It gives me the following message

"Authentication log (see session log for details):
Using username "root".

Authentication failed."

Could it be the username is wrong? Are there any other username for the Kindle 3?
Did you use WinSCP?
This error is due to a problem related with Private Key File. Could you do this again:

Quote:
(Download and run puttygen: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html)
With (x) SSH-2 RSA selected, click Generate.
Copy the text under 'Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file'.
Paste into a new file named authorized_keys.
Click Save Private Key to the local PC.
Copy file authorized_keys to \usbnet\etc\
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
arfarf624
arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3 (ads)
you are supposed to make a new .txt file, paste the code, then remove the extention, rather than hit save private key, the link IIRC says specficially not to do that
arfarf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
eshiku

I did it differently but similar result

1. generate the key
2. copy and paste everything in the field/box under "Public key for pasting into
OpenSSH authorized_keys file" to notepad and save it as "authorized_keys"
3.removed the ".txt" extension
4. Clicked "Save Private Key" and saved to desktop
5. copy the authorized_keys (notepad) to /usbnet/etc . then unmount
6. ;debugON
~usbNetwork
;debugOff
7. set up connection and connect (tried both putty and WinSCP)
8. it says " Server refused our key"

Maybe the problem is causing by step 2 & 3?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
2. copy and paste everything in the field/box under "Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file" to notepad and save it as "authorized_keys"
Notepad is the most likely problem. It uses the Windows format for end-of-line characters (CR-LF). I'm pretty sure that authorized_keys needs to be in the Unix format which uses only a line-feed for EOL. Try an editor such as Notepad++.

Before saving the file, go to Edit > EOL Conversion and select "Unix Format".
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
eshiku

Finally got it working!

wasn't able to get Notepad++ to work, i used TextEdit on mac to do it.

I opened textedit and use "make plain text" then paste on to that, and i save the file as "authorized_keys" without extension. Copy onto \usbnet\etc and connected to it fine with "root" as username

Thanks everyone for helping