Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
Yuyito
Yuyito began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-950
Change the Dictionary--> There must be a way...

Hi,

I want to add a new dictionary to my device. I already have it. I haven't found the way add it, but I can imagine a solution.

This device has dictionaries I will never use, for example, dutch-english, if I can get into the memory where it is stored, I can change the dictionary, and call it the same, the device won't know it's not the dutch-english dictionary.

Another way to ask this question, how do you get into the boot/root drive of this device if you want to make this types of improvements....

Thanks beforehand to the knowledgable...
Yuyito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Hi Yuito,

Quote:
if I can get into the memory where it is stored, I can change the dictionary, and call it the same, the device won't know it's not the dutch-english dictionary.
How are you going to edit those files, anyway?

Somebody tried it, but it didn't work for dictionaries bigger than X (with X being rather small). They are located in /opt1/dict, you can get them if you have custom firmware.

PS
On the bright side, the next "big thing" in PRS+ project will be custom dictionaries (not using Sony's file format) so stay tuned (it won't be very soon though, optimistically you could try checking for changes on this front in about 6 weeks)
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Yujito : what kind of format is your dictionary ? I don't know what is accepted by the Sony readers, the one already installed are in BBeB dictionary format (.msd files) and are referenced by a .mbf file. It doesn't seem easy to me, I'm not sure it can handle other formats, and I don't know where to buy / make these dictionaries.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote