Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
PDF to MobiPocket Conversion

I read on this forum and on MobiPocket how people are jsut dragging their pdf's onto the MobiCreator and viola - instant beautiful conversion.

From the mobipocket website:
Personal eDoc Publishing : Beyond eBooks
Tired of scrolling through this 250 page technical manual in PDF? We've got the answer. Drag and drop it into the Reader Desktop and read it on any mobile device.

So I tried creating one and read it on my Treo (won't have the Iliad til July):
1. the pdf file had a table of contents - the mobipcoket version did not convert the pdf table of contents into a useable mobipocket TOC

2. no images, tables, charts where in the converted document - expect the cover page which I manually added - even though I checked the box in the MobiCreator to embed images (I think that was the wording)

What am I doing wrong, or are others exaggerating their experiences?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
There are different formats of PDFs and lots of ways of creating and lots of options on creation, such as reducing file size/embedding things like images and fonts etc - these reasons are likely to explain some of the different reported experiences. If your source PDFs were created in a mobipocket conversion friendly manner - you'd likely get a good result - if not ...

so far i've only tried a few short docs and have had fair results, with maintained images and text styles (haven't done anything with a TOC yet or links). I'll report further when I've do a little more testing.
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
chrisv5
chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.chrisv5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88
What am I doing wrong, or are others exaggerating their experiences?
Exaggerating a lot. Personally, I find it completely unusable as it messes really badly with pre-formatted text (like code snippets, tables,formulas, etc.)

I can imagine, it would work with essays, articles, etc. as long as we just have normal, flowing paragraphs
chrisv5 is offline   Reply With Quote