Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer eBooks to be Full Justified or Left Justified
I prefer reading eBooks that are Full Justified. 90 51.43%
I prefer reading eBooks that are Left Justified. 85 48.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #76
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Full justified for me, otherwise I keep noticing the line breaks. Left justified doesn't look clean to me, it's probably because I'm so used to reading paper books which are full justified.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #77
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Completely agree with the post above. I can't read a book without full justification. I don't notice the problems with hyphenation and spacing that others do.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Completely agree with the post above. I can't read a book without full justification.
And yet you have several Kindles, I see. Have you not noticed that the Kindle does not use full justification? All least not for Mobi format books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #79
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I want full justification. That's why I need Alf's tools so I can "liberate" and reformat books in Calibre.
If I had to use a very large font (or have a small screen) the large spaces that can appear between words when fully justified probably would annoy me more than they do now that I read on a 6-7" screen. With the font size I use those ugly lines do appear, but not often enough to really bother me.
Bad hyphenations drives me mad though... "Bad" means not to standards suitable for Swedish language. When reading Swedish language books on English orientated devices hyphenation can be horrible! But that's completey OT... Just had to vent. I'm fine now...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
And we're back to a 50/50 split once again at 75 each, which is really what I expected to see.
Actually, I expected to see full justified way out in front. Very interesting results.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #81
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And yet you have several Kindles, I see. Have you not noticed that the Kindle does not use full justification? All least not for Mobi format books.
Do you mean books from the kindle store? I don't buy them. I convert my books in Calibre.

What's the definition of fully justified? I like a straight edge on both sides. I'm not bothered if it is hyphenated. My understanding was that the Kindle defaults to somewhere in-between (ie mostly justified with the occasional unjustified line).

Last edited by jamadams; 01-31-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Do you mean books from the kindle store? I don't buy them. I convert my books in Calibre.

What's the definition of fully justified? I like a straight edge on both sides. I'm not bothered if it is hyphenated.
I mean that the Kindle doesn't always justify lines. In cases where moving a word onto the next line would leave too large a gap, it leaves the line "ragged right". If you look at a typical page on a Kindle screen, you'd generally see perhaps a quarter of the lines are like that. So perhaps you're not quite as sensitive to "ragged right" books as you claim?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #83
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I thought it would go 50/50 because of the hyphenation limitations on some ereaders. I prefer full justification. My Sony doesn't hyphenate, so it happens occasionally with larger font sizes that you might see a "river of white" as some put it; it never bothers me nor interrupts the flow of reading at all for me. Readers that do hyphenation or if you use smaller fonts probably would never run into it. But I can see that white gap might be annoying to some people enough to prefer left justify.

I prefer full justification so much that I will also liberate my books so I can read it my way like others here do. I'm just too used to it from reading pbooks and I want the ebooks to look the same.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #84
Ozymango
Ozymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueOzymango can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook HD+, HD (Cyanogenmod, LineageOS), Simple Touch (rooted), various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Bad hyphenations drives me mad though... "Bad" means not to standards suitable for Swedish language. When reading Swedish language books on English orientated devices hyphenation can be horrible! But that's completey OT... Just had to vent. I'm fine now...
Hi;

I don't think that's off-topic at all -- I never even thought about how hyphenation might be better/worse depending on your reading language. Thanks for awakening me to that!

I read most of my ebooks using "fbreader" software, which works on both my rooted Nook (running Android) and my Nokia 770, and it features very good hyphenation for English language books, so I never think about hyphenation as an issue. But I've read printed publications (mostly newspapers and magazines) where somebody split a word badly when using hyphenation and yeah it grabs my eye and just stops the flow.

Interesting points!
Ozymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #85
jamadams
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I mean that the Kindle doesn't always justify lines. In cases where moving a word onto the next line would leave too large a gap, it leaves the line "ragged right". If you look at a typical page on a Kindle screen, you'd generally see perhaps a quarter of the lines are like that. So perhaps you're not quite as sensitive to "ragged right" books as you claim?
Dunno. There aren't any raggedy lines on mine. I do have some hacks installed though so it probably isn't a typical example. Anyway - yes, I am quite sensitive to ragged right.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #86
SR Roddy
SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle DX
I prefer left justified. Honestly for me I don't really notice the right side as much unless there's a big gap, but I like my left side to be sleek and perfectly aligned. I'm so anal it actually causes arguments between me and my web designer because he likes to do center text and I hate the jagged edges on both sides.
SR Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #87
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I expected to see full justified way out in front. Very interesting results.
Well, over the years there have been several such polls. Most of those ended up with left/full 50/50 with large portion of people that do not really care - some of those polls did have a third choice - "I would read in whatever format".
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Dunno. There aren't any raggedy lines on mine. I do have some hacks installed though so it probably isn't a typical example. Anyway - yes, I am quite sensitive to ragged right.
It becomes more noticeable the larger the font you read with, but Harry's right... since the Kindle doesn't do hyphenation, it often leaves a ragged line here and there when adding more space between words would be (more) ludicrous. Why certain "apparently random" lines were left ragged used to be quite the popular question down in the MOBI forum. Still comes up occasionally. Still happens with the newer KF8 format as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #89
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Full justification. Ragged right annoys me to no end. My opinion is that it looks unprofessional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Is this like the vi vs. emacs religious wars?
Vi. No other options.

By the way: You are not required to understand this.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-31-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #90
jamadams
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It becomes more noticeable the larger the font you read with, but Harry's right... since the Kindle doesn't do hyphenation, it often leaves a ragged line here and there when adding more space between words would be (more) ludicrous.
Hmmm. Harry suggests that up to a quarter of the lines on a page would be like that but mine keeps an even edge up to the largest font size - then I get the weird spacing. Again, it might not be typical behaviour as I have some hacks installed.