Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Zipdaman12
Zipdaman12 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Can't open file error with kindle fire

Hello all. I am trying to get calibre content server and my kindle fire to work properly. I can connect and the selected mobi file downloads properly. However, once I click on it in the new message area, it never opens or appears in my documents folder. It presents me with an error "can't open file". The same file will show up automatically in the docs folder if I email it.

Please advise,

Jack
Zipdaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipdaman12 View Post
Hello all. I am trying to get calibre content server and my kindle fire to work properly. I can connect and the selected mobi file downloads properly. However, once I click on it in the new message area, it never opens or appears in my documents folder. It presents me with an error "can't open file".
I don't have a Fire but recall folks saying download mobi won't show up until you restart the Fire. Another wonderful Kindle feature?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Zipdaman12

Strange. I just tried powering down. It is weird because it wasn't there after reboot. Is it because my content server is password protected? It is behaving differently since I password protected it. Before I I'd, it would download and not open. Now it wont even download.

Help........
Old 12-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have read messages to the effect that the browser in the Kindle Fire cannot work with the Calibre Content server if you have set a username/password. This is apparently because Android based systems do not support the required authentication protocol.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Zipdaman12

That makes a lot of sense. But, when I remove authentication altogether, I have another problem. The book seems to download, but then I get a failed to open error... Sorry all but I am desperate. My iPad works fine, but my kids kindles are the issue... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays everyone.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
RickD
Time Traveler
RickD began at the beginning.

Device: Iliiad or Kindle DX
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. But, when I remove authentication altogether, I have another problem. The book seems to download, but then I get a failed to open error... Sorry all but I am desperate. My iPad works fine, but my kids kindles are the issue... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays everyone.
I just got mine working, by removing the authentication part. However, certain books won't open directly on the Kindle Fire. I've found that the .prc files won't open.

Might behoove you to check the type of file you're grabbing over wifi and make sure the kindle can read it.

I have only downloaded PDF files so far so I'm not sure about the rest of them.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
Babbabooey
Babbabooey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:

Happy holidays everyone.

I have the exact same problem.. I can see my Calibre Library using the web browser on the Kindle, and can 'get' the books fine, but they all say 'cannot open file'. I've got no authentication on the Calibre web server, and have rebooted the kindle to see if they then show up, but no luck.

Please help !!!
Babbabooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
pwayne66
pwayne66 began at the beginning.

Same issue with the Fire here. Content server works, downloads successfully as .mobi file but the Kindle doesn't know what to do with it. I get "Cannot Open File" when I try to launch from the download notification area. I have downloaded "File Expert" and located the file on the SD card under the Downloads folder and attempted to open there, but it prompts me to identify if the file is a "Text, audio, video or image" file. When I select text (b/c it seems to be the best option) it prompts me to associate the file with HTMLViewer or QuickOffice, but no option for the Kindle app.
pwayne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwayne66 View Post
I have downloaded "File Expert" and located the file on the SD card under the Downloads folder and attempted to open there, but it prompts me to identify if the file is a "Text, audio, video or image" file. When I select text (b/c it seems to be the best option) it prompts me to associate the file with HTMLViewer or QuickOffice, but no option for the Kindle app.
Are you sure you have File Expert? The behavior you describe is what happens with File Explorer. File Expert adds a "More.." option to the "Open With" table and this allows you to associate Kindle to the ebook.

Either way, if you move the ebook file to Books or Documents and reboot it will show up.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
pwayne66

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Are you sure you have File Expert? The behavior you describe is what happens with File Explorer. File Expert adds a "More.." option to the "Open With" table and this allows you to associate Kindle to the ebook.

Either way, if you move the ebook file to Books or Documents and reboot it will show up.
Ah! You are correct. Thanks for your help. At this point seems that using the integrated Calibre email fuction to the kindle account is just about as straight forward as I need. Book shows up in my Documents queue in about ten minutes and no reboot or file managment required. Appreciate the all the help that I have found on the forum!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
Babbabooey
Babbabooey began at the beginning.

I was just about to post, in another thread I was told the solution is to manually move the files from the download folder into the documents one and reboot.

Would be nice to get a way to put the files in there directly though
Babbabooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbabooey View Post
Agreed - but that is a capability that Amazon will have to provide in the browser at the Fire end. It is not something the Calibre Content server can control.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
pwayne66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbabooey View Post
I was just about to post, in another thread I was told the solution is to manually move the files from the download folder into the documents one and reboot.

If one were so inclined, you could make a script that checked the contents of the Downloads folder and moved them to the Documents folder and then routinely execute it. This would all be on the Kindle side and would be more work than it would be worth IMO especially considering that many of the apps needed to do this would need to be side loaded... god bless amazon...
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
jo104
jo104 began at the beginning.

Device: kindled fire
Same

Same problem (cant open file)
If there are any solutions please let me know!
thanks,
Jorge
jo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #15
celinego
Connoisseur
celinego began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7; Kindle Fire HD10; iPhone6s; Windows 10 HP Pavilion; Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo104 View Post
Same problem (cant open file)
If there are any solutions please let me know!
thanks,
Jorge
A few years late I know, but I uploaded a file too large to send via Calibre or email, to my Dropbox account instead. Then went on my kindle and downloaded it. Then into File Manager and moved the file into the Books folder.

Then when I opened the Books app (the kindle icon) on my homescreen, there it was. I think the solution is getting it into your Books folder on the kindle so that it triggers to open automatically there. I had already tried moving it to the Kindle folder in File Manager, but that didn't work as it still said can't open file and didn't appear in the kindle/books app.

Hope this helps even if late!
celinego is offline   Reply With Quote