Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
SONY officially introduces the new line "Reader WIFI" @ $149 asking price

Quote:
Up until a few years ago Sony was one of the key players ... Sony isn’t ready to give up though. Today the company introduced its answer to the latest inexpensive touch sensitive eReaders: The Sony Reader WiFi. It features a 6 inch, 600 x 800 pixel E Ink Pearl display, 1.3GB of storage, a microSD card slot for expansion, and a relatively affordable price tag of $149.
Article

Quote:
It also lets you borrow books from a public library in the US, Canada, or the UK using a wireless connection. While many other eReaders support library books, you typically need to download them on a computer and sync them with your eReader.
Sony store product page

I jumped the gun the product has not been launched just introduced can a mod please change the word in the title from "launches" to "introduces" (thank you) (Official launch date is Mid Sept)

Last edited by =X=; 08-31-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Added new quote and asked mod to update title
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Looking at the photos again, I just realized each one has a different color strip at the bottom. I'm liking the white one more and more with that silver strip to go with the silver buttons.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Looking at the photos again, I just realized each one has a different color strip at the bottom. I'm liking the white one more and more with that silver strip to go with the silver buttons.
Considering the nook has become too heavy for you, might also appreciate the fact that SONY claims this is the lightest eReader on the market.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Everybody is eventually going to get rid of page turn buttons that are in an ergonomic spot to be operated by either thumb, aren't they? Aren't they!?

Another small piece of me has died.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Everybody is eventually going to get rid of page turn buttons that are in an ergonomic spot to be operated by either thumb, aren't they? Aren't they!?

the trend sure does suck, that's for sure.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-31-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: reword
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Opt for the black Reader Wi-Fi bundle and get a free download of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone while supplies last.
Looks like I'll be waiting until they release a Special Edition bundle with all 7 books.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Yes, they are. And eventually, I think page turn buttons will eventually go away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

You will just have to adjust.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Looks like I'll be waiting until they release a Special Edition bundle with all 7 books.
Doubt that will happen or at the very least not very soon. If it does it wont be $149.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like the way those look. Those are rather snazzy. Wish there were some page-turn buttons in a thumb-friendly area...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Human hands aren't changing, and I don't see those buttons disappearing from ereaders any time soon. I mean, at least not any ereaders that a significant number of people are buying. I wouldn't worry about this Sony reader being any indication of a trend. It will fail like their last generation did.

Seriously it looks like they put zero thought into this device other than lowering the price and swapping the case out for plastic. They released the ereader they should have released a year ago. Not that it would have mattered.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 08-31-2011 at 07:41 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
If Kobo doesn't fix the constant need for factory resets the Touch needs by the time I can afford to spend the $180 (Canadian, after sales taxes) or so it'll cost, this'll be the way I go. Sony rarely makes a bad product.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Sony rarely makes a bad product.
Heh, tell that to all the people who bought their SXRD TV's.

(Although in fairness, after some initial reluctance to admit anything, they do seem to be trying to make good on that blunder, at least in my case I think they did ok)
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Doubt that will happen or at the very least not very soon. If it does it wont be $149.
Initial rumors have it as being released around a month after which is fine for me. I just bought my PRS-350s a couple of months ago and they work just fine so I'm not in any hurry.

Since I'm buying the books either way and it'll already come with a snazzy cover, I wouldn't mind if the HP version of the reader costs $200~300.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Initial rumors have it as being released around a month after which is fine for me. I just bought my PRS-350s a couple of months ago and they work just fine so I'm not in any hurry.

Since I'm buying the books either way and it'll already come with a snazzy cover, I wouldn't mind if the HP version of the reader costs $200~300.
The potter versions are coming with covers??