Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #61
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
A 505 is not really a "computer."
It most certainly is! it has a Freescale microprocessor running at 200 MHz, various memory ports and runs Linux. The only difference between it and a very low powered laptop is that the program it runs at start up only allows you to read ebooks.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #62
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Yep, so now it boils down to semantics and careful wordings.
I think it would be much easier to just cycle wifi passwords or auto-kick people using their MAC addresses after every X minutes, 15-20 being the idea case.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #63
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
If those stores offer free wifi at all then they should just switch it off completely during their peak hours.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #64
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think Crowl has the best option. A little sign to the effect that "In order to ensure table space for all patrons during peak hours, we are unable to offer WiFi between noon and 3 pm" would explain the situation. It might not help with the smartphones and other 3G devices, but at least it would stifle the laptop telecommuters.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #65
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
It most certainly is! it has a Freescale microprocessor running at 200 MHz, various memory ports and runs Linux. The only difference between it and a very low powered laptop is that the program it runs at start up only allows you to read ebooks.
That's why I said it depends on what your definition is. You want to define these devices in terms of how they are made. Most people will define them in terms of how they are used.

There's a difference between a battleship and a rowboat, y'know, even if they are both vessels. But of course, a Dope Rule will regard them as the same thing.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #66
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Yep, Dope rules such as a Screen and a Battery make things seem like non-sense. What about old calculators? Would those get you throw out of the shop as well? How about my LCD photo keychain, same thing?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #67
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
Yep, Dope rules such as a Screen and a Battery make things seem like non-sense. What about old calculators? Would those get you throw out of the shop as well? How about my LCD photo keychain, same thing?
Don't take that photo keychain thing to the airport! There's a Dope Rule against it. You could...uh...um...strangle someone with the chain part & take over the plane, so it will be confiscated...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #68
ski_power
Book eater

Quote:
Don't take that photo keychain thing to the airport! There's a Dope Rule against it. You could...uh...um...strangle someone with the chain part & take over the plane, so it will be confiscated...
Thanks for letting me know. I'm returning from vacations in a weeks time and it'd suck for me to throw it away. Oh well, it stays with my parents then
My dad had the same issue with a camera-pen with 2GB memory, 'twas confiscated for some lame 'security' protocol while EXITING the airport.
Dope Rule Airports.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 AM   #69
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
That's why I said it depends on what your definition is. You want to define these devices in terms of how they are made. Most people will define them in terms of how they are used.
Wikipedias definition of computer is "A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data//information, and provides output in a useful format". This would cover my PC, my ereader, an LCD watch and my washing machine.

... but I'm curious, by your definition, if I used my PC purely to read ebooks would it then become an ereader? Amazon are also about to open an app store for the kindle so does that now make my ereader a computer? I believe Pocketbook and Bebook can bring up a Linux command prompt making it no different to my work computer.

PS I do agree with you on "Dope Rules" though - the rules seem to have been put in place to simply stop officials from needing to think. I had a pair of nail clippers (about the size of my thumb) removed off me before boarding a plane - I couldn't work out whether they thought I might bring down the plane or kill an attendant with them - any terrorists out there must be laughing their heads off. I also believe ereaders should be allowed in coffee shops.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #70
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
I am outraged!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #71
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would imagine it's because people with computers probably sit there for very much longer than those without. You'll notice that it was between 12-3pm - presumably their busiest time.
"No conversation at this table from 12-3pm."

Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #72
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
"No conversation at this table from 12-3pm."
Things like conversation, reading, etc., tend to be self-limiting. If you go to the cafe on your lunch break, you've got to get back to the office in a fairly short period of time or you may as well stay there and read the Help Wanted ads. The people with the computers, on the other hand, are (or at least can put up a sufficiently strong case to their bosses that they are) working. So they stay there -- sometimes for hours on end. In effect, they're using the place for an office, rent-free. While this is great if you're the computer user in question, especially if it's saving you from the assault and battery charge you'd face if the guy in the next cubicle had to go to the proctologist to get that annoying toy of his back, it's not really fair to the people who just want to drink their coffee, eat their muffin, and, maybe ... enjoy some conversation.

Civilized people, of course, see the place is busy, eat their food, and free up the space for someone else. Sadly, in a society where everyone focuses on their rights and ignores their responsibilities, the civilized people are trampled by the barbarians who are already inside the gates, because we grew them ourselves. So where the customs of polite behavior once managed interactions between people with a minimum of friction and fuss, now there have to be "dope rules" and inflexible laws to keep the barbarians in check.

Personally, I liked it the other way.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #73
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Things like conversation, reading, etc., tend to be self-limiting. If you go to the cafe on your lunch break, you've got to get back to the office in a fairly short period of time or you may as well stay there and read the Help Wanted ads. The people with the computers, on the other hand,
Seems like a false distinction. Not everyone chatting/reading is on their lunch break and not everyone on their computers aren't on a lunch break. Conversation isn't self-limiting (believe me) -- lunch breaks are. I don't doubt these locations had special problems with computer users like you describe, but I've had lots of encounters with rude chatty groups refusing to leave their tables long after their food is gone as lines of customers stir about impatiently and have never once stood waiting for a rude computer user to clear out so I could sit.

My mock sign fits the bill for the same underlying problem at far more restaurants and the like than the rule of topic does.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #74
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
They could install trap doors under the seats. Maybe ejection seats. Or seats that will give you an electric jolt if you overstay.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #75
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
They could install trap doors under the seats. Maybe ejection seats. Or seats that will give you an electric jolt if you overstay.
extendable in seat cattle prod should do the trick...of course some might actually like it and pay extra for the experience.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote