Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Argelius
Argelius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Suggestions on how to find books to read

I realize this is probably a ridiculous, unanswerable question, but can anyone provide some pointers as to how you find books to read? I'm not an avid reader, but enjoy reading and bought the Kindle, in part, to get me to read more.

Anyway, I'm finding searching in the Kindle store tedious unless I have a specific title in mind. For instance, I like "current time" (as opposed to in distant future) Sci-Fi, So I click on the Sci-Fi group and then I'm left with going through page after page of looking for something that strikes me. I've tried the "customers who bought this also bought...", technique, but I find those to be a very poor predictor of similar books.

So, are there other websites that help "find" books. (I've found iTune's "Genius" feature to be a very useful and accurate way of finding new music; which there was something similar for books).

Any thoughts?
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I can't recall the url, or which thread it was in, but there's a website called something like "WhatShouldIReadNext" which comes up with various ideas based on you telling them a book you liked.

in fact, a quick google suggests it is actually called WhatShouldIReadNext, and can be found here: http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/search

However, it doesn't seem to deal gracefully with books it doesn't have in its database - it was giving me an Internal Server error...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Argelius
Argelius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm finding it far easier to find music onine that I like (as opposed to going to a CD store -- not that they exist anymore); however, browsing thru a book store is much easier. But I'd determined to try to read more...
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm finding it far easier to find music onine that I like (as opposed to going to a CD store -- not that they exist anymore); however, browsing thru a book store is much easier. But I'd determined to try to read more...
if you're looking to discover new books, you could also start a thread in the "reading recommendations" forum ; list some authors or books you already know you like and explain basically what you're looking for. i've discovered some amazing authors thanks to various recommendations on this thread, and people here have such diverse tastes and interests that there's sure to be someone with some good suggestions.

also, i honestly don't know whether it will match your taste, but for science fiction take a look at the baen free library (everybody will tell you that in your thread anyway ) which publishes a lot of science fiction ; they've got plenty of books available free so you can try new authors, and if you like what you find they sell their books for really reasonable prices, particularly if you order them in the "webscription" formula which is a monthly batch of books.

there are so many books out there it can be a bit overwhelming, luckily there are good ways to narrow it down.

happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
That might be because music online is a more mature market - as ebooks take off, it will (hopefully) become easier.

Of course, as well as sites like the one I mentioned, you can ask here, and also it might worth looking at the sci-fi groups on GoodReads
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You can try asking Gnod for related authors:
http://www.gnooks.com/faves.php
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
You might find a few recommendations here that suit your taste:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/1000novels
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Giddeaon
Ex Libris....Vita
Giddeaon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
That might be because music online is a more mature market - as ebooks take off, it will (hopefully) become easier.

Of course, as well as sites like the one I mentioned, you can ask here, and also it might worth looking at the sci-fi groups on GoodReads
I also recommend GoodReads...the site is well designed and once you get some friends with similar tastes (check out the groups) you will find a LOT of suggestions.
Giddeaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If you are looking for something to read I would suggest...
well, anything by Douglass Preston...
Quantum Storms by Dennis Chamberland
The Taking by Dean Koontz

I am also reading books by James Rollins right now and The Judas Strain is entertaining.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Googlel "The Agony Column Rick Kleffel" -Reviews and headsup on anything worthwhile in Science Fiction including collectibles (non-Kindle of course).
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
For instance, I like "current time" (as opposed to in distant future) Sci-Fi...
<SHAMELESSPLUG>
I invite you to stop by my site: About half of my novels are set in present day or periods of just a few years beyond today. (There's free stuff to read, too.)
</SHAMELESSPLUG>
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The reader groups on Librarything.com are pretty excellent -- serious readers who have an incredible depth of knowledge, not only about current, but also older books.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I just saw Book Army mentioned on BoingBoing - it claims to be a recommendation engine that suggests books based on your tastes (gleaned from the libraries of others). I haven't tried it, but it sounds promising.

When I'm looking for something new to read, I generally go to Amazon and look for authors that I like that I've already read, and then look for what other people bought who also bought that author. I've found some great books that way - for instance, I searched for Neal Stephenson and followed that to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I'd never heard of him before (I know, I know) but I took a chance and really liked it.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
try librarything.com it is great for this kinda thing!!
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I can also recommend Shelfari.com
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote