Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Placement of D pad

Has anyone heard an explanation from Kobo for why they put the D pad where they did? It requires that you use two hands to turn pages when holding in left & I don't know what to do if I hold it in my right hand. Seems to me that the middle placement would allow for either thumb to operate the d pad regardless of how I hold it. Just seems that the bottom right corner is the exact worse placement for it. BTW I use my Sony most often in my left hand & turn pages with my left thumb. Still works if I have it in my right hand.

Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
All the Netronix derived devices have this offset D-pad location. It seems to result from the placement of the battery at the bottom left corner, as you can see from the picture of an opened Kobo. Given the size constraints of the Kobo and the battery, I'm not sure what else they could have done. But I agree with you, it does make it awkward to use when I hold it in my left hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opened.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	60634  
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
michael_h
michael_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ebook reader
While using the Dpad may be awkward for left-handed users, it is well located for right-hand use. I have no difficulty holding the pad with my right hand, and using the Dpad with my right thumb.
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
While using the Dpad may be awkward for left-handed users, it is well located for right-hand use. I have no difficulty holding the pad with my right hand, and using the Dpad with my right thumb.
same here. It's light enough (even with my cover/case) that I can balance it on my fourth finger and my index and 3rd fingers provide a support in back, and my thumb does the navigating..

that said, and while I'm a righty by nature, I would have liked to have the button more centered because i do tend to use my left hand from time to time, but I can get away with craddling the device between my thumb and index finger at middle of the device, and my thumbs is still long enough to reach the buttons comfortably...

Photo 1

Photo 2

Last edited by Psyke; 11-04-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added links to examples
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I'm a lefty and I found the placement annoying to start with. But now I'm used to it and I'm an expert at kobo in my right hand, glass of wine or cuppa in my left. I could never do that with a paperback! I love the fact I can read single handed.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
The placement of the button is one of the reasons I chose the Kobo over, say, the Sony Reader! When I hold a book, I hold it in my left hand with my thumb right in the middle bottom of the page. If the D-pad was in that spot, as it is with the Sony, I'd constantly be accidentally clicking the button. It's easy enough for me to reach over with said left thumb to click for a page turn, or bring up my right one like I would if I was turning a physical page. I like the button just where it is!
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Like amo, I hold with my left hand, using the right thumb to click. I can't imagine holding it and clicking it with the same hand! I'll give it a try, will make coffee & reading easier.

And now I see why lefties have a problem.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Thanks for your responses. I see by Pholy's post that the position was more a matter of real estate than ergonomics. I can accept that. As you can see by my sig. I can be picky about such issues & if it had just been the designers preference, I would have a problem with it. So many consumer products miss the mark simply because the engineers don't understand how a products is going to be used. I can deal with limitations of a design if there are valid reasons for a trade-off. BTW I am liking the WiFi Kobo very much. Having a battle with myself for spending the $130 'cause I have a Sony 600. It's the screen that made me do it & I can't justify the price of the Sony 650. Don't need WiFi, but the new screen is nice. Hopefully we will get the firmware fixes we all want soon.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well, I am a cackhander and using turning pages with the dpad using my right hand is no issue.

I use the Kobo and it's leather cover like a dead tree book anyway.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Well, I am a cackhander and using turning pages with the dpad using my right hand is no issue.

I use the Kobo and it's leather cover like a dead tree book anyway.
What leather cover?
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
What leather cover?

Dunno if he's talking about the leather pouch, but I was able to get a couple kindle 3 leather cases for mine for $6 each and it fits the kobo great:

Leather Case

My Pic1; My Pic 2; My Pic 3; My Pic 4; My Pic 5; My Pic 6.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
What leather cover?
This cover

http://www.amazon.com/Kobo-eReader-L.../dp/B003OLISF6

The discussion thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82160

Last edited by sabredog; 11-05-2010 at 06:53 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Thanks for your responses. I see by Pholy's post that the position was more a matter of real estate than ergonomics. I can accept that. As you can see by my sig. I can be picky about such issues & if it had just been the designers preference, I would have a problem with it. So many consumer products miss the mark simply because the engineers don't understand how a products is going to be used. I can deal with limitations of a design if there are valid reasons for a trade-off. BTW I am liking the WiFi Kobo very much. Having a battle with myself for spending the $130 'cause I have a Sony 600. It's the screen that made me do it & I can't justify the price of the Sony 650. Don't need WiFi, but the new screen is nice. Hopefully we will get the firmware fixes we all want soon.
Cheers,
kev
Lot of factors came into it. We were limited in our options due to the nature of the platform we were using.

We did give a couple button configurations a try but they just didn't work well with the platform. This was the simplest way forward given our many constraints.

FWIW, I hold my eReader in my left hand, turning pages with my right...
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Right hand hold and turn. Left hand is reserved for beer.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Sometimes I hold it with my right hand and also use my thumb to turn pages although after 30 minutes on the train my thumb does start to cramp. When I decided in March to buy an eReader I first spent 25 days with first the Sony PRS-600 then the PRS-300, they had the centered button for page flips, I didn't find that ideal because I couldn't hold the ereader that well one-handed and flip pages. Other ereader's like the Kindle where they have page flip buttons on both left and right do have a certain appeal though. Most of the time I don't have too much of a problem with my Kobo (bought May 1).
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote