Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Looking for PDF creating software

After a while of reading on the iLiad it has become clear to me that i need a quick&easy method of creating PDF files from existing txt and html files.

To understand better, something along the lines of manybooks.net's Custom iLiad PDF creator.

The program should be fairily easy to use and the once the initial setup is done (font, font size, margins, linespacing etc...) the program should spit out the custom PDF.

I really like the way PlanetPDF's files look and i'm looking for something similar out of my grubby gutenberg text files.

Another thing: does anyone know the name of the font used in the PlanetPDF files?
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
After a while of reading on the iLiad it has become clear to me that i need a quick&easy method of creating PDF files from existing txt and html files.

To understand better, something along the lines of manybooks.net's Custom iLiad PDF creator.

The program should be fairily easy to use and the once the initial setup is done (font, font size, margins, linespacing etc...) the program should spit out the custom PDF.

I really like the way PlanetPDF's files look and i'm looking for something similar out of my grubby gutenberg text files.

Another thing: does anyone know the name of the font used in the PlanetPDF files?
Set up a template in Open Office (www.openoffie.org), open the template, import the file, hit the make .pdf button. Some files might need cleanup, depending on source. Open Office can work with Word, .rtf, .txt, .htm, .ppt & .xls files plus many others.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
If you have Acrobat, just check Document Properties ... | Fonts for information.

You can also try http://www.identifont.com/index.html if all you have is
sample printout.

In the file I checked, the main typeface is Bembo.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
Set up a template in Open Office (www.openoffie.org), open the template, import the file, hit the make .pdf button. Some files might need cleanup, depending on source. Open Office can work with Word, .rtf, .txt, .htm, .ppt & .xls files plus many others.

I tried using OpenOffic and M$ Word template supplied by irex but i wasnt happy with the result. I also couldnt figure out how to number pages e.g. 6 of 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
If you have Acrobat, just check Document Properties ... | Fonts for information.

You can also try http://www.identifont.com/index.html if all you have is
sample printout.

In the file I checked, the main typeface is Bembo.
Thanks a lot for the info ath!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Wait for a while: I just have finished the iLiad support in my BookDesigner program. Now a cople of weeks of the testing - and it will be ready for downloading.

P.S. Well, it seems it has a little bit more options than you want, but it is easy to disable those ones which you do not need: the program always memorize all the last user settings. In contrary to iLiad

Last edited by vvv; 09-04-2006 at 08:08 PM.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Great Idea VVV...Maybe this software will make the process easier for some. I'm still using OpenOffice and am not unhappy with it, but I'll gladly take any alternative I can get my hands on and try it.

One thing I already like in your software is that it seems to handle footnotes quite well. The question is, did you create that page manually witht he footnote at the bottom or does the software place footnotes on the correct page automatically? Books like the Hitchhiker or the Discwordl novels use footnotes quite heavily, and manually adjusting them could really be a massive peace of work...

Keep up the good work and if you need beta-testers...feel free to just ask...I'm sure someone will volunteer...:-)

UPDATE: I just received input from our member TaKir that the footnotes are indeed adjusted automatically. If this works well, we could actually have something very nice on our hands here...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The question is, did you create that page manually witht he footnote at the bottom or does the software place footnotes on the correct page automatically?
The footnotes are created automatically on the base of html links and notes found in the loaded book. But to clarify this point I have to explain in more details how BookDesigner works.

BD is a soft which allows the user to convert, edit and create many types of e-books.

First, it loads an input file (txt, doc, rtf, html, lit, pdf, fb2, prc, pdb, rb, html0) and converts to its inner format (html0, which is an html-like language with picture resources included). During this transformation an input book is converted to a paper-book-like structure consisting of paragraphs, titles, subtitles, epigraphs, etc.

When the html0 book is loaded the user has a possibility to edit it. Mainly the manual editing is not necessary, but if the user wants to change something (say, to convert some paragraphs to epigraphs or to insert a picture), this can be done in several clicks. For the convenience of usage, the program marks book elements with different colors.

As soon as the html0 book is ready, it can be converted to any type of e-books supported by the program. The output e-book formats are: txt, doc, rtf, html, lit, pdf, fb2, rb, imp, lrf, prc, pdb, klm, html0, BookImage (graphic files with clickable links).
The devices and reading programs for which the e-books can be created are: iLiad, Sony Librie, Rocket eBook, REB1100, REB1200, GEB1150, GEB2150, Palm, Pocket PC, eBookMan, Hiebook, MS Reader, MobiReader, PalmReader, HaaliReader.

If the user applies the default options, an e-book is created in two clicks: the first click - to open a corresponding window, the second one - "make book". The default options (say, hyphenations support, margins values, etc) can be easily changed by user after which the program will remember them.

The languages supported: Western Europe, Central Europe, Cyrillic.

Now the 5-th version of BookDesigner is about to be finished. But because I got my iLiad before its finishing, I decided to add the iLiad support to a little bit "wet" 5-th version.

Last edited by vvv; 09-05-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
...input file (txt, doc, rtf, html, lit, pdf, fb2, prc, pdb, rb, html0)
... output e-book formats are: txt, doc, rtf, html, lit, pdf, fb2, rb, imp, lrf, prc, pdb, klm, html0, BookImage (graphic files with clickable links).
Sweet.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
Cynics
The Iliad Avenger
Cynics began at the beginning.

This is definately cool......big thank you for adding Iliad support and I anxiously await the new release.
Cynics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Any hope of a Mac version?

It looks like a quite sweet and very useful application. I'd love to run it on my Mac.

Perhaps someone with an Intel Mac could give it a try under CrossOver (a utility for running Windows .exe files under Mac OS X on Intel Macs). That wouldn't help me in the short term, but would at least provide some hope for the future.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
I'd love to run it on my Mac.
They have told me that it is working under Linux. But I do not know if somebody ever tried it on Mac...
Old 09-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
astfgl
astfgl began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad & REB1100
I tried installing it yesterday, but when opening a HTML file I was given an error and instructed to check my office install. I don't have Office.

I can't find a list of pre-requesites in the help or on the website. Can you tell me exactly what I need to have to get your program to work?

Thanks, glen.
astfgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I really hope you don't need Microsoft Office...I use OpenOffice and it's a lot better (and cheaper...) and I'd still like to be able to use the program...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by astfgl
I tried installing it yesterday, but when opening a HTML file I was given an error and instructed to check my office install. I don't have Office.
1. Download and install the main program
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...Designer40.zip
2. Download and unpack to Program Files/ Book Designer 4.0 directory the last update
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...2006_05_04.zip

OS: Windows 95 - XP (under win 95, 98, Me not all the options will work).

The program uses some MS Word libraries, but they are not included into the distrubution. To install them it is enough to install MS Word 2000 or higher.

The users asked me several times to use Open Office instead of MS Word. Unfortunately it turned out that Open Office cannot process properly some types of MS Word documents/objects. Despite of that I am planning to add an option allowing to use Open Office instead of MS Word, but not right now. In general, it will work but some options will be lost (for example, the processing of some lit books will be disabled, the processing of some types of tables will be wrong, etc).
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
lufee
lufee began at the beginning.

thanks a lot for VVV

the software is so cool for us iliad user.
i am so happy and thanks for you . just make it better. and if it's possible make a chiese version .
i am waiting for you and testing now .
thanks
lufee is offline   Reply With Quote