Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
granturissimus
Enthusiast
granturissimus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
What do I do when my K3 freezes?

Sometimes when I use the browser, it freezes. Or it freezes in some other situations too.

What do I do or press when that happens? I just press everything to try to make it work, so I'd like to know what specifically to do.
granturissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by granturissimus View Post
Sometimes when I use the browser, it freezes. Or it freezes in some other situations too.

What do I do or press when that happens? I just press everything to try to make it work, so I'd like to know what specifically to do.
slide the slide switch and hold it there for 15 seconds, then let go, the kindle will restart, takes some time to finish
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by granturissimus View Post

I hate when that happens. It does that to me too with the browser. Especially when using Dropbox. The only thing you can is what Alan suggested and that's a restart.

What other time does it freeze on you?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree with Alan and Blossom just about the only thing you can do is a restart of the Kindle. It sometimes freezes on me too and all I can do then is a restart. One thing I still get stuck on is if it is supposed to restart itself after using the slide switch, or if I need to hold it again. I rarely turn mine off because of how hard it is to make sure I turn it back on again.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i was told by an amazon CS person that to restart, press menu>settings>menu>restart

i think it's different from using the slide switch. or i could be wrong
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i was told by an amazon CS person that to restart, press menu>settings>menu>restart

It is different but if your Kindle is frozen and unresponsive you can only do the switch reset.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post

if it's truly locked up then so's the keyboard.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
louis3
louis3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I hate when that happens. It does that to me too with the browser. Especially when using Dropbox. The only thing you can is what Alan suggested and that's a restart.

What other time does it freeze on you?
Did you install FreeDownload Hack?? I found this hack will cause web browser to be unstable.
Sometimes it will first crash browser then crash whole device...
louis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis3 View Post
Did you install FreeDownload Hack?? I found this hack will cause web browser to be unstable.
Sometimes it will first crash browser then crash whole device...
Nope no hacks. Well I now have the font plugin on there but back then I didn't have anything like that. I never thought I used that even but the K4's contrast made me change my mind.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sicne the main job of a kindle is electronic book reading why are we so concerned about web sufing on the kindle? I typically don't do that on my K3, I typically use a tablet, laptop or desktop for that job. I don't expect the kindle to web surf well.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Sicne the main job of a kindle is electronic book reading why are we so concerned about web sufing on the kindle? I typically don't do that on my K3, I typically use a tablet, laptop or desktop for that job. I don't expect the kindle to web surf well.
It's so I can use Dropbox and download directly to my Kindle a book. It comes in handy when you can't send to your Kindle or Amazon's is down which has happened a few times in the last few months. I need to be able to access Dropbox to get my books!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
So far, if I wait for about 4 minutes (without pressing lots of buttons), my Kindle just unfreezes itself, though it is a pain.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote