Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Byzantius
Mobile Tech
Byzantius began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 1005PE, Pocket Edge, PSP3000
.apk Questions

Hi everybody, I just have a couple of questions:

1) I have transferred some of my Apps into my PE by placing the .apk file in the download folder.

Do I need to keep the .apks after installing the apps or can I delete them?

2) I am trying to terminate cell power by changing phone/telephony.apk to .old but the PE's ES file explorer will not let me rename. When I use Windows to browse the PE, I cannot find the /system/data folder. I am on rooted Ermine. Any ideas?

Thanks
Byzantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
1) No, you do not need to keep the .apk in the download folder.

2) You have to have a program like Root Explorer to change system files. It's available in the Amazon marketplace. Open the folder, click "Open R/W" on the top of the screen, and you can change whatever you want.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
You should store backups of your *.apk files on your PC, that way if anything goes wrong - a newer version does not work for example - you will have the backup to reinstall.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
If you install the ES file explorer update directly from their website it will replace the factory one and adds functionality so you can modify system files if you give it root access.

Your phone must be rooted, and you have to enable root access with it in its setup menu.

I would advise NOT deleting these files. If you insist you can simply rename them. Start with telephony.apk. I renamed mine oldtelephony.apk. Then my PE gave me the forced close message. Then I renamed phone.apk to oldphone.apk. Then my PE kept giving me error messages over and over again. I just kept trying and eventually got it to shut down properly (you have about 1 second between error message popups) and once it rebooted no more error messages.

To be honest, I'm not quite convinced it makes that much of a difference. I ran into a problem where I couldn't restore mine but I don't know if it because of me renaming these files or if it was because of an app I installed that it didn't like. I eventually got it working but if you decide to update (or downgrade) the rom I would change those two files back to phone.apk and telephone.apk and then rebooting before doing so just to be safe.

Here is a link to the download page on the manufacturer's website:

http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.html
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote