Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Help with regex POSIX class search

Maybe it would be a good idea for a whole subforum related to regex searching!

I'm stuck on yet another regex search. I'm trying to find any punctuation characters that don't have a space following them. Looking at my regex cheatsheet, it looks like I should be able to do this with a POSIX class search. I've tried [:punct:]\S but it doesn't seem to work. Instead, this search shows me every occurrence of the letters p, u, n, c & t that aren't followed by whitespace. Pretty much, it's doing the same as a grouping, like [punct]\S. It's like Sigil isn't paying any attention at all to the fact that there are colons in the search string.

Am I missing something or doing something completely wrong here?

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; 05-19-2011 at 05:05 PM.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Code:
:punct:
is not available in Sigil. use something like [.,!?]
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I believe Sigil uses QRegExp at the moment.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll find a workaround like you mentioned huebi. When you say it isn't available in Sigil, do you mean the punct search or POSIX class searches in general?

Jellby, thanks for the QRegExp reference. I'm sure it will come in handy.

I really appreciate your guys' help.

- Byron
Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
POSIX is not implemented in Sigil. In this case it wouldn't help you anyway unless you are planning on doing a one-by-one replacement rather than Replace All.
Think what would happen to this: "Hello!"
My guess is that it would become " Hello! "

Try this for your search:
Find: ([^\nA-z0-9 -“/])([^ \n”])
Repl: \1 \2
In the Find string there is a space between the 9 and the dash. See below for quotes.
In the Repl string there's a space between the \1 and \2.
You will need to tweak it to suit your needs by adding, in the Find string, any punctuation you do not want followed by a space.
For example if you're using it in Code View then use this Find string: ([^\nA-z0-9 -“/<>])([^ \n”]) to avoid angular brackets having spaces added after.
The problem is quotes. If you can, make the double quotes curly - the first one of the type that occurs at the start of a quote (opening) and the second one of the type that ends a quote (closing). The text being searched must also have curly quotes.
Interestingly the search string does not find square brackets or the '&' not followed by a space. Sort of convenient!

Last edited by Faster; 05-20-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
POSIX is not implemented in Sigil. In this case it wouldn't help you anyway unless you are planning on doing a one-by-one replacement rather than Replace All.
Think what would happen to this: "Hello!"
My guess is that it would become " Hello! "
Faster,

This wouldn't be a problem for me as I didn't plan to batch correct in this instance; only investigate. Thanks for your advice though. I'll look it over and try it out.

- Byron
Old 05-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
NB sometimes it is correct for there not to be a space after a punctuation mark as in thre "hello!" example above, or as in
"right," said Fred

the "rule" may be that punctuation should be followed either by a space or by a quote mark, but initials may be another exception : J.B.Lenoir or J. B. Lenoir ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Or numbers: 3.1416
Or parentheses: (Like this.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote