Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Status Update

I am thinking of ordering an iLiad this week.

I know through reading the forums that initially the iLiad did not support the features below, but I was wondering if there has been any improvement lately:

Search - can you search the content of the documents stored on the iLiad (ala Mac OS X Spotlight)?

Search within Viewers - do the MobiPocket, PDF, and HTML viewers offer search to search within a document?

Bookmarking - Do the viewer apps remember where you left off in the documents throughout the different viewers (MobiPocket, PDF, HTML)? If so, does it remember where you left off in every document, or only the last read document?

Do the PDF and MobiPocket viewers support the navigation elements that have been built into the original documents (Table of Content, Indexes, etc)?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Search - can you search the content of the documents stored on the iLiad (ala Mac OS X Spotlight)?
No it does not. I don't think this is likely to happen either. There would have to be *a lot* of modification, or a background process such as beagle running. This would consume quite a bit of battery, so it's unlikely

Quote:
Search within Viewers - do the MobiPocket, PDF, and HTML viewers offer search to search within a document?
No and no. I think it is planned though.

Quote:
Bookmarking - Do the viewer apps remember where you left off in the documents throughout the different viewers (MobiPocket, PDF, HTML)? If so, does it remember where you left off in every document, or only the last read document?
No bookmarks per-se, but it does remember your last position in every document you read, no matter what the format. It will automatically go there every time you open it back up.

Quote:
Do the PDF and MobiPocket viewers support the navigation elements that have been built into the original documents (Table of Content, Indexes, etc)?
Yes, internal navigation links do work. You can't link ouside of a PDF or Mobipocket document (execpt for upcoming mobipocket dictionary lookup), but interal pdf and mobipocket links work well.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Once ordered please feel free to join the meditation thread. ROFL

p.s.: Why isn't it a sticky any way?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Well I ordered it today.

Boy the lack of search features seems to me to be a no brainer, especially considering this thing is supposed to be used by businesses for more than reading the latest Grisham novel.

It just seems like a lot of short-sited decision have been made on this product.

I can't wait until Apple develops one of these with the new touch features that my iPhone has.

Thank God they added PDF navigation (the manuals that I downloaded and read (2006) state that PDF document TOC don't work).
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They originally planned for companies to buy a bunch of them and develop their own application suites. It just hasn't happened much yet.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't see why a background process would be needed to implement multi-file search. This is unix: grep -r should do the trick for any text-based formats. PDF could still present a problem, I guess.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've always found the term 'grep' amusing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote