Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you plan on modyfing Kindle Fire's software in any way (rooting, sideloading etc)?
Yes, I love freedom to tinker 56 46.28%
No, I love the walled garden 65 53.72%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #46
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Of course one would need a reason to root. It would be silly to go through the process without having a specific objective that required rooting.
Are you calling me silly for rooting?

Nah I rooted, because here soon I expect to put market and gapps on there and hopefully soon there will be adhoc support.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #47
vigna04
vigna04 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I personally know some friends that are getting it just to root it
vigna04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #48
donc1927
donc1927 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't consider sideloading rooting either. I have no plans to root mine. I am very happy with the way it is. I love the battery life in the Fire. It's pretty amazing. I don't want to mess the dynamics Amazon has done to get it that way. I'm very careful with the apps that go on here.
I'm not really going to root. I'll be very careful to only try things from reliable users like here on this site
donc1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #49
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Are you calling me silly for rooting?

Nah I rooted, because here soon I expect to put market and gapps on there and hopefully soon there will be adhoc support.
Adhoc support would be great! My phone only supports adhoc tethering, and the Kindle does not, so right now I'm out of luck with tethering. I saw a thread or two about it on XDA, but there doesn't appear to be a working solution yet.

If you want to add Android Market, you may want to see my notes here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158615
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #50
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchaotic View Post
Basically what iOS ecosystem achieves is that while there is a small group of jailbroken users, but the majority of people run plain, walled-garden iOS.
With Android, the ratio is the opposite - most users I have met love to tinker with their devices and I have not found two Android devices 100% alike.
I wonder what the ratio will be with Kindle Fire, vote away!
I'll sideload, but not root. I put a Android apps on there that aren't supposed to work. Some do some don't. If they don't, I delete them. That's as far as I'll go. Rooting scares me a little. I don't know why, I do very well with techy things. No jail breaking for my iPhone either. I do love to tinker but I'd hate to brick it.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #51
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
I have no plans on rooting it.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #52
hoosiermama
Enthusiast
hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hoosiermama could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
I have no plans to root. I have an Android phone and haven't rooted that either. I do have a bunch of apps I've sideloaded.
hoosiermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
I rooted only for a few minor reasons: to get the android market and google calendar. Both require you put a file in a directory that's normally read-only and then you can unroot, which I did. I have only re-rooted after updates long enough to fix those two functions (actually android market never stopped working for me but the google calendar did). Both are really a matter of convenience.

Beyond that I don't plan on doing much tweaking, for a while at least. I'm at the point with it now that it does everything I want. But not everything has been discovered by the hackers yet.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #54
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Coming in way late here and reversing my previous answer, I would really like to root it. If it hadn't been a gift from someone who had no business giving me a gift that expensive, it would be rooted. But if i mess it up, I would feel lower than slime.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #55
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
No intention of "rooting"!!
....Ever!!

My Kindle fire is not even recognizable as the Amazon product without rooting at this point.

I am running Go launcher & Rotating wall paper.

All of my mainly used Apps are side loaded
including any Video I may want to watch using "Mobo player"
I am using Aldiko For My Novels & PDF files

I am using Comic reader mobi for my Comic book reading in CBR& CBZ format making the Comixolgy app useless to me.
I am an artist to the Autodesk Sketchbook mobile I got from Amazon for $1 was a great deal .

Not interested in installing android market.

Cheers

Last edited by Anabran; 02-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #56
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I got the Fire figuring I'd root it and replace the OS if I wasn't happy in Amazons walled garden, but so far, I'm happy, and I'm finding the walls aren't really that high.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #57
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I got the Fire figuring I'd root it and replace the OS if I wasn't happy in Amazons walled garden, but so far, I'm happy, and I'm finding the walls aren't really that high.
THere is quite a lot you can do without rooting. It probably will keep me happy

Tags
fire, kindle, root