Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #196
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Isn't it great? A plethora of choices.

Kindles will be this Holiday Season's top gadgets. Way to go Amazon!
Hey, I'm all in favour of putting the proverbial mom-and-pop stores out of business! They're not my mom and pop!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #197
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I shan't be buying one myself. None of these devices offers anything that I want over my existing K3.
I'm there as well, but will reserve judgment until it is out and rooted.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #198
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
I shan't be buying one myself. None of these devices offers anything that I want over my existing K3.
I can see that...If I had a K3 I wouldn't be interested either. But since I'm ready to upgrade to an e-ink Pearl screen from my K1 I'm just trying to decide between non-touch or touch. or K3.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #199
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Dang, this is big news, isn't it?

I've never before been in a thread where multiple posts have been made in the half-minute it took me to write one.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #200
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I'm more concerned that the Fire doesn't seem to have any card slots, that's going to make it d@mn awkward to watch anything you haven't bought from Amazon.
I'd be very surprised if you couldn't load content via USB, just as you can with the existing Kindle. Bear in mind, though, that this device is being sold first and foremost as an Amazon content-consumption device. Nobody's pretending that it's a general-purpose tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #201
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I'm more concerned that the Fire doesn't seem to have any card slots, that's going to make it d@mn awkward to watch anything you haven't bought from Amazon.
I agree. No reason why a smartphone should have more storage than a tablet. I'll wait for the nook color 2 before making any decisions.

And 7.5 hrs battery life with wireless OFF?

Last edited by Tess89; 09-28-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #202
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It would appear that you have to load your personal non-Amazon stuff into your Amazon cloud storage area - which you can then (allegedly) access via the Fire.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #203
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It would appear that you have to load your personal non-Amazon stuff into your Amazon cloud storage area - which you can then (allegedly) access via the Fire.
That makes sense, given the seeming pitch of the Fire as a "cloud" device. Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #204
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Does anyone know if Amazon VOD will be able to stream? I know Amazon Prime can but that stink's to high heaven in terms of content. Renting movies from it's VOD library could be a killer app though.

The kindle touches are looking awfully Sonyish with the silver bezels. Thank god they FINALLY ditched those ugly keyboards.

I'm a nook guy but Barnes and Noble has to be taken back by these price structures. The Nook STR has to at the ver least come within $10 of it. Same with the nook color 2. Hopefully they too have a dual core processor and wouldn't be a bad idea to team up with someone like Vudu.

Must admit Amazon raised the bar especialy on price structure.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #205
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'm going for the $99 KSOT
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #206
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wow! Wow! Wow! ... ...

just need to know, please, please, if landscape mode is supported, on the eink devices I mean.

God, please listen to my prayers!

Poor guy....I suspect not....

I'm not real enthused about that special web browser either...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #207
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
But Amazon is also cultivating good customers who buy lots of things *besides* books, and could make up the difference there.

eP
Or, as the WSJ so aptly puts it today:
Tablets: Ultimate Buying Machines
Quote:
Retailers have found an interesting characteristic of consumers who browse their websites using tablets: They're much more likely to pull the trigger on purchases than other online shoppers.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #208
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Does anyone know if Amazon VOD will be able to stream? I know Amazon Prime can but that stink's to high heaven in terms of content. Renting movies from it's VOD library could be a killer app though.

The kindle touches are looking awfully Sonyish with the silver bezels. Thank god they FINALLY ditched those ugly keyboards.

I'm a nook guy but Barnes and Noble has to be taken back by these price structures. The Nook STR has to at the ver least come within $10 of it. Same with the nook color 2. Hopefully they too have a dual core processor and wouldn't be a bad idea to team up with someone like Vudu.

Must admit Amazon raised the bar especialy on price structure.
Nook Color 2 and Lenovo IdeaPad are still in the running for me. Lack of card slot on the Fire leaves me cold; but who knows, I could warm up to it depending on the competition's offerings.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #209
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I was just purchased a Kindle Fire as a gift from someone who took advice I gave her to buy a bunch of Amazon stock a couple months ago. I wasn't going to buy a new eink Kindle (I like mine just fine) but since the Fire is gonna be free, I did it anyway. And a cover, which oddly doesnt ship until Oct 31st.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 09-28-2011 at 12:13 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #210
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just got a Tab a few months back so I won't be getting the Fire, but it is an exciting set of new models. I especially like the price cuts; I think we're getting closer to the inevitable "buy our content and get the device for free" stage. I may be looking at a few of these for gifts this holiday season.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote