Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #31
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
As a dedicated Sigil 0.1.9 user, it appears on first use that Sigil has lost the advantage it had with the simple interface of the previous version, and now there is only a small advantage to using Sigil compared to simply starting from scratch with an html file, splitting it manually into the proper files, and zipping the final result.
A quick follow-up of my last email about 0.2.0. It seems the best solution for me is to open the html-coded file in v. 0.1.9, add images, fonts, etc, and save as epub. Then for further work on the epub, open it in 0.2.0. All the files, image, text, styles,... are ready for further editing in v. 0.2.0 if required without having to do manually what the earlier version does very well if slowly.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #32
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazec View Post
There is no simple way to merge two chapters... no undo button after accidental pagebreak
Add an issue on the tracker for a "Chapter merge" option.

Quote:
- How is splitview intended to work? For example when code window is active pressing pagedown key moves book window. Are positions in code and book window independent when using splitview?
Yes, the window which has focus receives the UI events for scrolling etc. The other window updates only when you click in it.

This "live sync/update" system you are asking for—while it looks simple on the surface—is actually extremely difficult to implement, especially using the crappy QtWebkit as the Book View backend. The only application that I know that does this is Adobe Dreamweaver, and I'm not Adobe.

But it will be done. I have a few ideas. BTW it's already on the tracker.

Quote:
and finally book browser - I'd like to set active tab on single click on its name in list rather than with doubleclick.
I disagree. The double-click is here to stay. How would you select a file to rename without changing your current tab? The Book Browser was inspired by the Solution Explorer from Visual Studio, and that's the way it works over there.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #33
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Add an issue on the tracker for a "Chapter merge" option.
I've already added an issue about that .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #34
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I've already added an issue about that .
Ah, good then.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #35
Valloric

Quote:
I just got this to replicate. I'll provide you with more information when I have it.
Tracked this down and fixed it. I love love love it when Nokia changes Qt inter-dependencies without telling anyone. Can't get enough of that, really.

A new β1b version of the first beta will be out for Linux systems (both x86 and x64). Other OS's are unaffected.

EDIT: Done. Download and try it now.

Last edited by Valloric; 03-02-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #36
plazec
plazec doesn't litterplazec doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3, HTC Desire
Quote:
Yes, the window which has focus receives the UI events for scrolling etc. The other window updates only when you click in it.

This "live sync/update" system you are asking for—while it looks simple on the surface—is actually extremely difficult to implement, especially using the crappy QtWebkit as the Book View backend. The only application that I know that does this is Adobe Dreamweaver, and I'm not Adobe.

But it will be done. I have a few ideas. BTW it's already on the tracker.
Looks like I was getting right how it works - window without focus updates on click.
So there is inconsistency as I said in my example, that confused me. When code window has focus, pageup and pagedown keys scrolls book window instead of code window.
plazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #37
Valloric

Quote:
Looks like I was getting right how it works - window without focus updates on click.
So there is inconsistency as I said in my example, that confused me. When code window has focus, pageup and pagedown keys scrolls book window instead of code window.
I just tried it and yes, it happens. Buggery buggery bug. Report it on the tracker.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #38
plazec
plazec doesn't litterplazec doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3, HTC Desire
Quote:
I just tried it and yes, it happens. Buggery buggery bug. Report it on the tracker.
That why it is called beta
Issue reported on tracker.
plazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #39
polyfragmentiert
Groupie
polyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SONY PRS-T1, bald tolino vision 3 HD
Quote:
Tracked this down and fixed it. I love love love it when Nokia changes Qt inter-dependencies without telling anyone. Can't get enough of that, really.

A new β1b version of the first beta will be out for Linux systems (both x86 and x64). Other OS's are unaffected.

EDIT: Done. Download and try it now.
It works now, you rock! \m/ Thanks a lot!
polyfragmentiert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #40
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Just an FYI be careful (this has only happened once). Sigil 2 became unresponsive so I let it sit for 3/4 minutes waiting for it to become responsive, it didn't. I ended up forcing it to shut down and when I went back to continue working on the epub it was gone.

No biggie because I had a backup (duh we are working with a beta program). But it was gone. Did a search and it was long gone. So make sure you backup anything you are working on that you might be afraid to lose.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You may owe me a replacement flat panel.

My monitor may have strained some pixels rendering the page that quickly

That was some speed improvement.

On another note: Tossing an idea into the pot.
I found that the book does not "Open" in tabs by default (not a bad)
But if you navigate away from the original tab, could the selection in the left column be made to "track" with the current tab position?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
> I found that the book does not "Open" in tabs by default (not a bad)
> But if you navigate away from the original tab, could the selection in the left > column be made to "track" with the current tab position?

Yes, I think you are seeing what I was trying to explain/ask about in post #24 in this thread?

I wasn't sure if it was a bug or a feature?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #43
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Just an FYI be careful (this has only happened once). Sigil 2 became unresponsive so I let it sit for 3/4 minutes waiting for it to become responsive, it didn't. I ended up forcing it to shut down and when I went back to continue working on the epub it was gone.
That's a deadlock situation. It's caused by a thread getting a lock on a resource and not unlocking it, and another thread waiting for it to become unlocked, and then everything grinds to a halt...

It happened a few times during development. Sigil is now very deeply multi-threaded, and bugs in the sync mechanisms can cause such a lock-up.

In general, with MT programming you can either have resources pre-emptively locked and then work through deadlock bugs, or unlocked and work through race conditions.

Since it's easy to detect a deadlock and bloody well near impossible to catch a race condition (let alone debug it), I went with option #1.

So when something like this happens, try to make it reproducible: a consistent sequence of steps that always evokes the bug. Then report it and I can quickly fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You may owe me a replacement flat panel.

My monitor may have strained some pixels rendering the page that quickly

That was some speed improvement.

Quote:
On another note: Tossing an idea into the pot.
I found that the book does not "Open" in tabs by default (not a bad)
You mean you want all the XHTML files opened in their tabs on load? That would be very, very slow. A large part of the speed increase comes from the fact that a flow is loaded only when needed, and then cached for future use even if you close the tab.

Quote:
But if you navigate away from the original tab, could the selection in the left column be made to "track" with the current tab position?
You mean you want the currently selected item in the Book Browser to change to match the tab to which a user switched?

What would be the use case for that? What does a user gain from this feature? I just don't see how would this be useful. You already know what file is loaded in your tab, the filename is in the tab title. The Book Browser should really be thought of as a "view" into the "filesystem" of your book. It's not conceptually connected to the tabs.

I also see that as violating the Law of Least Astonishment: I'm a user, and I have 5 tabs opened. I'm looking around in the BB for a file I want to open, and I instinctively single-click to select the one I want. I then realize I want to make a quick change in the opened tabs, switch around a bit, and then go back to BB. But wait, why is my file is no longer selected? Astonishment --> UI error.

It bears mentioning that no other "Book Browser like" pane (that I know of) changes the selected item to the currently open tab.

Last edited by Valloric; 03-03-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #44
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Smile thank you, thank you, thank you!

Very, very nice. Thank you very much!

Cheers,
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #45
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Yep, Sigil 0.2.0 is much faster will the new layout and although I did like the old single-flow look, I'm sure I'll get used to this new way of working as it allows me to concentrate on a much smaller block of text and stops me from loosing focus.

A few things I've noticed:
1. When importing a HTML file that includes the CSS code in it (and not in a separate CSS file) and then inserting a chapter break, all the css code now appears in the new xhtml file. I take it Sigil can't at present extract the CSS code and place it in a CSS file so that when splitting the file, I don't have to modify the CSS code in every split.

2. When splitting a file all the new files are xhtml files, but the first file is showing as a html file (a html file was opened in Sigil to create the book) and I can't rename it. Is this typical behaviour?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote