Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Jbthompson
Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Kindle PW--About to give up.....

Hey everyone. I have been on the long journey to get a good paperwhite. I have had 3 replacements, and the last one i got, while it has a much whiter screen, is still blotchy.

I made my almost weekly call to Amazon yesterday, and was told that it was impossible for their to be blotches on my screen because "the screen is black and white, not color." Should I just wait and see if the december ones are any better? I am really missing my old basic Kindle. What would you recommend I do?
Jbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm sorry you haven't been able to get a good one. Having been there myself, I know how frustrating this is.

I am one that believes most PW's suffer from the color hue issue to varying degrees and if you're sensitive to seeing the hues, you may be better off waiting for the next version of the PW to come out and see how that is.

It sounds like you talked to a rep who was clueless about the problem. I have been lucky to talk to a rep that is familiar with the PW color hue defect, but it was still very difficult for me to get a good one.

I suppose you could try a 4th replacement, but I don't think you'll end up happy at this point. I think it's best to return it for a refund and maybe get the basic kindle for now. Good luck with whatever you decide.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Problem is, that once you go touch screen, you won't want to go back to non-touch. So for Amazon, there is no other option. And that's what really sucks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Problem is, that once you go touch screen, you won't want to go back to non-touch.
This has been very true for me, especially since I highlight a lot. Some people don't mind and even prefer the page turn buttons though, even after using a touch screen.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Problem is, that once you go touch screen, you won't want to go back to non-touch. So for Amazon, there is no other option. And that's what really sucks.
Sure there is - buy a Kindle Touch. Easy enough to get hold of.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure there is - buy a Kindle Touch. Easy enough to get hold of.
I don't what country Jbthompson is in but as the Kindle Touch is no longer for sale at Amazon US (though there may be refurbished or used devices available). Is it still for sale in the UK and other countries?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle Touch is not for sale in the UK. You can get a refurbished Kindle Touch with 3G from Amazon.com for $129. I could not find a wifi only version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I've been in your shoes so many times that I lost count. I kept getting replacements because I couldn't make myself give up on the paperwhite. If you can see yourself waiting for the second version of the PW, do it. I couldn't, as I liked the interface just too much. The PWs I kept are by no means perfect, but one of them has very very light blotches, and in some lighting conditions, I don't see them at all.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
The Kindle Touch is not for sale in the UK. You can get a refurbished Kindle Touch with 3G from Amazon.com for $129. I could not find a wifi only version.
In Amazon Germany you still can buy the Kindle touch.
Probably because they only started shipping Paperwhite a few days ago.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Return the PW for a full refund claiming it is defective. Then order a new PW.

There seems to be a problem with the replacements.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Jbthompson
Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
So the newer ones are better? How long do I have to return it?

I love the idea of the paperwhite, I read mostly at night so it's nice.
Jbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I went through 5 Paperwhites before giving up on it all together. I'm now using the K4B for my daytime reading an an iPad mini for nighttime reading.

If you read a lot at night, I don't see a touch will solve your problem. Without the brightness on, the PW is a much better device than the touch.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I strongly suspect that if you're not happy with the PW, you never will be. The PW's screen is a diffraction grating - the effects you're seeing are inherent in it. You need to either accept that this is what it's like (and personally I think it's absolutely fine) or find an alternate solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
I agree with HarryT concerning the color hue issue. What bothers me a bit is the font quality. I have the impression that once I use the dictionary or the menu, the type face is messed up and it looks like some words/lines are printed in bold as compared to others until I page forward. In general, the weight of the type face is less homogeneous what I have seen on my PW than on the K keyboard, but once the dictionary pop-up was used it visibly degrades. Am I the only one noticing this?

Last edited by miquele; 11-21-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: typo
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #15
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
I agree with HarryT concerning the color hue issue. What bothers me a bit is the font quality. I have the impression that once I use the dictionary or the menu, the type face is messed up and it looks like some words/lines are printed in bold as compared to others until I page forward. In general, the weight of the type face is less homogeneous what I have seen on my PW than on the K keyboard, but once the dictionary pop-up was used it visibly degrades. Am I the only one noticing this?
I haven't noticed this at all. Have you tried restarting/rebooting? This seems to help people with various issues.

I'm using the Helvetica font and find it to be suitably dark and even.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote