Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And... that is exactly why you have a problem.

Because you are supposed to use the Hotmail/Gmail/GMX/YahooMail account as a relay. Which means that calibre uploads the email to Gmail/whatever's servers, and gets them to send it on your behalf.

Using calibre itself as the mail server means calibre cannot prove it has the authority to send emails on behalf of that email address. Only Google can sign emails as having come from Google's servers.

tl;dr

If the email isn't in Sent Mail on the email provider's servers, you have definitely done at least one thing wrong, therefore your failure does not prove that Amazon has something against calibre.

Perhaps Amazon didn't used to verify that the email actually came from the email address it declares? I don't know one way or another (never bothered to find out) but it would be one way of explaining what has been seen here.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #47
stefan77
stefan77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello Eschwartz, When I use the proper Calibre email system there is no record in my Sent folder. However when I highlighted the book in Calibre and followed the path to the file, then it appeared in my Sent folder. Where do you think that the problem lies?
stefan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know. When I use the Send-to-Email toolbar menu to email books to my Kindle, it works fine, gets delivered properly, and a copy of the email shows up in my Gmail "Sent Mail" folder.

Perhaps your email address is not properly configured in calibre? What are your current settings?

For perspective, my settings* are as follows:

Code:
# relay host
relay_host = u'smtp.gmail.com'

# relay port
relay_port = 587

# relay username
relay_username = u'************@gmail.com'

# relay password
relay_password = '*****************'

# encryption
encryption = 'TLS'

I am not really sure what you mean by "highlighted the book in Calibre and followed the path to the file". Do you mean, you used a Windows Explorer menu to send the ebook file via Outlook?

* -- copy-pasted from smtp.py in my calibre configuration directory, since I was too lazy to open calibre just to copy-paste my email settings. Also, easier copy-paste.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And with gmail you have to go into gmail settings and allow third party apps as well. Much easier to use gmx. All this has been documented in exhaustive detail in the calibre FAQ for years. Just follow the instructions in the FAQ and you will be fine. All that's changed recently is that amazon has started blocking more mails that are sent without using a well known mail relay than it used to before. Therefore, it is critical you setup a mail relay, preferably, GMX as described in the FAQ. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-using-calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #50
Colc
Enthusiast
Colc began at the beginning.

"All that's changed recently is that amazon has started blocking more mails that are sent without using a well known mail relay than it used to before."

At last! when I started this thread, I asked the question, it has now finally been answered, now that I know for sure that it is due to Amazon I can use other methods; thanks for that info.
Colc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

^^ Basically, what I said in post #46.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:43 AM   #52
Colc
Enthusiast

'Perhaps' is not definitive.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #53
The Kindler
The Kindler began at the beginning.

A large part of Calibre's success depends on the fact that it was able to send the files to Amazon email from one or more authorized email accounts, without having to record the password in the application, thus avoiding the risk to be stolen along with the database passwords, as happened in many other similar cases.

To Kovid Goyal: wish you all the best in implementing your creature

Last edited by The Kindler; 08-17-2016 at 03:21 AM.
The Kindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:20 AM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kindler View Post
A large part of Calibre's success depends on the fact that it was able to send the files to Amazon email from one or more authorized email accounts, without having to record the password in the application, thus avoiding the risk to be stolen along with the database passwords, as happened in many other similar cases.
Read the FAQ entry, pay particular attention to the third note.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #55
a_e_w
a_e_w began at the beginning.

Device: kindle (kb, pw & Fire)
Stefan: If you're using Outlook, go to 'account settings' and click [Change].
That will show you your outgoing (SMTP) server settings and your username, click [More Settings] and the 'Advanced' tab and that will show you the outgoing server port and whether it's using encryption.
Keep pressing [Cancel] to get back out without changing anything and put those settings in Calibre.
a_e_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:13 AM   #56
a_e_w
a_e_w began at the beginning.

Device: kindle (kb, pw & Fire)
Kovid: Thanks for the link to that FAQ. I'd searched Help for 'email' and failed to find that.
a_e_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #57
Colc
Enthusiast

OK I opened a GMX account; have struck some difficulty. my new email address is ????@gmx.us
allocated Host name is mail.gmx.com
allocated Username, ????@gmx.com
Port 587
Encryption TLS.
when I try to send a book, the circle turns endlessly, when I stop the procedure, I receive the following message.
I am able to logon to the website inbox which recognises my credentials.
Obviously I am doing something wrong; any suggestions?

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 201, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 135, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 636, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, 'Authentication credentials invalid')

Log:
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
reply: '220 gmx.com (mrgmx001) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: gmx.com (mrgmx001) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
connect: gmx.com (mrgmx001) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
send: 'ehlo [192.168.1.101]\r\n'
reply: '250-gmx.com Hello [192.168.1.101] [43.240.144.44]\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: '250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gmx.com Hello [192.168.1.101] [43.240.144.44]
SIZE 69920427
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
STARTTLS
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: OK
send: 'ehlo [192.168.1.101]\r\n'
reply: '250-gmx.com Hello [192.168.1.101] [43.240.144.44]\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: '250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gmx.com Hello [192.168.1.101] [43.240.144.44]
SIZE 69920427
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
send: 'AUTH PLAIN AGNvbGNAZ214LmNvbQAzNjE4Q29sYw==\r\n'
reply: '535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: Authentication credentials invalid
"
Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You username has to be the full email address,

whatever@gmx.us

in your case, not whatever@gmx.com
Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #59
Colc
Enthusiast

Thank You, I had accepted the default entry.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #60
stefan77
stefan77 began at the beginning.

Hallelujah, thanks Kovid. As my Dad said "If all else fails read the manual." or in this case the FAQs. At last I am able to send from Calibre to Kindle.
stefan77 is offline   Reply With Quote