Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Other than possibly altering the brightness levels, a FW update cannot change the LEDs temperature. You get what you got. The temperature of an LED is based on the LED itself and whatever coating gets applied to it.
All right....I am thinking it was because I was looking at it outside with the sun setting. It seems normal, now. We were seeing pink shades, and yellow shades...I thought they had messed up my paperwhite with the update.

The fonts look the same to me...
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thank you for the link! I updated. So nice to be able to remove the recommendations without disabling the store. Also, making it easier to access settings is so much nicer. The fonts do seem to look a little better too.
Are the fonts darker or bolder? What specific difference to the fonts?
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Usually the font updates apply only to the smallest sizes, since they are the ones that need it most (because thinner strokes have to be rendered more carefully). Probably anything over size 3 is unchanged. Wish I'd thought to take some screen captures before applying the update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
I am tickled pink over turning off the recommended section! Now I just need to pay up to get rid of the SO. Thanks for the heads up on the update!
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Am I imagining things, or did the update change the color temperature? Mine is different now.
Since day one, my PW screen has been changing. Most days it's uniform, some days I get pink spots. I posted about it - but it seems to be an isolated case, I don't see many people talking about screen spots 'coming and going'.

Today, after I updated, I looked at the screen and it was more pinkish than ever in the upper half. A clear split between the upper and lower halves.
After reading for about an hour, it's gone.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Since day one, my PW screen has been changing. Most days it's uniform, some days I get pink spots. I posted about it - but it seems to be an isolated case, I don't see many people talking about screen spots 'coming and going'.
How odd. My screen has looked exactly the same every day since I received it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing I especially don't like about the 'recommendations' is that they are not even interesting, and apparently have nothing to do with my reading preferences. So I've just stayed in List View all of this time. Now I can probably tolerate Cover View, though in general I'd rather see more items per page and List View is more compact (7 vs 6, or 8 vs 6 with no SO's).

What does Cover View look like without SO's? Is it just blank space down there?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The thing I especially don't like about the 'recommendations' is that they are not even interesting, and apparently have nothing to do with my reading preferences. So I've just stayed in List View all of this time. Now I can probably tolerate Cover View, though in general I'd rather see more items per page and List View is more compact (7 vs 6, or 8 vs 6 with no SO's).

I got rid of SOs almost immediately, so I can't remember exactly. I think it shifted them all downward, but maybe not. You can be the judge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_11_07T21_38_18-0500.png
Views:	347
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	95722  

Last edited by 7hir7een; 11-07-2012 at 09:42 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Wow the upgrade sounds great! The only thing keeping me from trying a PW is the availability. I got a 5" tablet instead to play with. but I'm still watching and waiting to get one if everything works out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Basically the row of recommendations becomes another row for your books as seen in 7hir7een's pic.

As for the fonts. The difference is very slight and mainly noticed when you use the smaller fonts. It looks slightly clearer and darker to me. Nothing worth doing cartwheels over, but I can notice it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I got rid of SOs almost immediately, so I can't remember exactly. I think it shifted them all downward, but maybe not. You can be the judge.
Yep, same stuff, just distribute the space evenly so it looks okay. They really can't make the thumbnails any smaller to fit more of them, I guess.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Basically the row of recommendations becomes another row for your books as seen in 7hir7een's pic.
I was referring to the space occupied by the SO banner, not the 'recommendations' row, just to be clear. On List View the space can be re-used for an additional item. But on Cover View you just get...more space.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #28
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I was referring to the space occupied by the SO banner, not the 'recommendations' row, just to be clear. On List View the space can be re-used for an additional item. But on Cover View you just get...more space.
Oops I see.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #29
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:

As for the fonts. The difference is very slight and mainly noticed when you use the smaller fonts. It looks slightly clearer and darker to me. Nothing worth doing cartwheels over, but I can notice it.
Well that's a disappointment concerning the fonts. I read on 4 on the K4s and have to use 5 on the PW which is still smaller then the K4s 4 font setting. Due to the high res screen the fonts need to be much darker to compensate for the several layers (diffusion etc.) to increase contrast.......bummer.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
* Turn off Recommended Content in Home: You can now turn on or off recommended content from the Kindle Store on the Home screen.
* Smoother sample-to-book experience: When you buy the book after reading the sample, we will now automatically start the book at your last reading location in the sample and remove the sample from your Kindle.
* Easier access to Settings: When reading a book, you can now access Settings directly from the menu.
Love all those things.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote