Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
eReading Magazines?

Another thread got me thinking about e magazines. I've never been able to enjoy e magazines, I much prefer paper but I love reading Books on an ereader. How do you feel about them?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Never tried magazines, but the colour pictures would not look too great on e-ink. I guess you would need to find magazines with actual articles that you can read and imagine the pictures.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
It depends greatly on the magazine. The ones that are almost exclusively text are great.

I currently subscribe to The Nation. It is $1.49 per month and is delivered every Sunday night/Monday morning. This will be really good in the autumn when we head back to Mexico - where books and magazines in English are harder to obtain.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've become addicted to getting news through Calibre (on my nook). So far, most of the newspapers, blogs, etc. read very well on the nook. They seem just as easy to navigate as the few newspapers or magazines I bought for it. The paid newspapers and magazines do have more content, but I figure I never have time to read it all anyway. (I'm still tempted with a few of the paid ones now and then, and my tacky side wants to see New York Post available for the nook. )

It hasn't been perfect. It turns out that Dilbert is a little hard to read on the nook. Also, a few sites took too long to upload, so I removed them.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Another thread got me thinking about e magazines. I've never been able to enjoy e magazines, I much prefer paper but I love reading Books on an ereader. How do you feel about them?
I susbscribe to National Geographic through Zinio on the iPad, and it is really nice. Also has some extra contents (interviews, videos) that aren't in the magazine.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I've become addicted to getting news through Calibre (on my nook). So far, most of the newspapers, blogs, etc. read very well on the nook. They seem just as easy to navigate as the few newspapers or magazines I bought for it. The paid newspapers and magazines do have more content, but I figure I never have time to read it all anyway. (I'm still tempted with a few of the paid ones now and then, and my tacky side wants to see New York Post available for the nook. )

It hasn't been perfect. It turns out that Dilbert is a little hard to read on the nook. Also, a few sites took too long to upload, so I removed them.
I had no idea you could do this with Calibre. I'll have to take a closer look at the program. I used it to convert and load a bunch of books, and didn't go any deeper than that.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm still buying print mags to help out school-age nieces and nephews with fundraising. I take the mags with me for takeoffs and landings on flights (beause no electronics) or when I get my hair cut and such.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
This is what got me interested in ereaders in the first place. First it was the possibility of any newspaper from anywhere in the world waiting for me on an ereader when I awoke in the morning, then it was the possibility of magazines without the massive clutter. Joy o joy ... I can subscribe again to magazines without the wife complaining about piles and piles of them around the house. This why I am so anxious for PixelQi and large format readers to hit the market ... magazines in color and newspapers in black & white. Pleasure book reading is a bonus.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I had a computer magazine subscription for years. But they went to e format only and I discontinued it.

I liked to flip thru it and read the ones that interested me.

Then too, I find more than enough to interest me online. A subscription may have a little more in it, but that "little more" is usually too little to interest me.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I love Calibre for The Huffington Post, The Economist - any magazine or blog that's print-oriented. I'd love to read a real fashion mag on an ereader but at the moment, that's not feasible on my Kindle, without color. I've seen some digital magazines advertised for the iPad, which seems like the right platform for image-heavy magazines.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I decided to give magazines a try last night on my iPad. I wanted to try free content, to get a feel for it... so I hit the Torrents and got the latest issues of Nature and Keyboard magazines in PDF format. ....

I put them on the cloud, and later in the evening kicked back on the couch, and pulled them down. I was pleased. Of course portrait view worked the best, but print could be a bit small.... but zoom worked perfect and I found I could read with ease. It was nice to zoom a photo to full screen to enjoy it.

So I am now interested in finding e-editions of some magazines that would interest me...... Problem is at this point there is not a great selection.... but that will change...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I've mostly just read fiction magazines like Analog, Asimov's, etc. which are just fine as e-books. In fact I was just looking at subscription options but it looks like they're only sold as individual issues now. I also just picked up the first two issues of Lightspeed Magazine, which is nice that they distribute in ePub format.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I really love some physical magazines when it comes to my interests, but when it comes down it info like the New York Times or WSJ, i prefer electronic copies
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I read some on my tablet in PDF format. The multiple narrow columns and the visual full-page format make reading much harder than, e.g., a textbook. This coupled with the fact that popular paper magazine subscriptions today are ridiculously cheap, makes me go with real paper.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote