Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
dso371
Enthusiast
dso371 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Endless reboot - major problem, help!!

Hi, my Iliad has been fine since I got it, but today it is endlessly rebooting.

I was trying to sync to my PC, and I read somwhere that I needed to delete the usr/share folder and replace it to get the sync to work. I deleted the folder in emelFM but it didn't give permission to create a new share folder. Not long after it went into endless reboot.

All I get is the Iliad screen with book images again and again.

Soft reset doesn't work.
Hard reset doesn't work.
Cannot reflash because I can't get it to power off!!

Just the same screen again and again, with the green light on and the white screen in between each reboot.

Help please!! I've submitted a ticket with Irex but don't know how they'll take to respond. I will have to let the power run out then charge again and try to reflash, but somehow I doubt it will work.

How can I get the damn thing to just turn off and stop rebooting???

Yours desperately,
David
dso371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dso371 View Post
Hi, my Iliad has been fine since I got it, but today it is endlessly rebooting.

I was trying to sync to my PC, and I read somwhere that I needed to delete the usr/share folder and replace it to get the sync to work.
It's obviously too late now, but I think deleting that folder was a bad idea. Where did you read that it was necessary to sync with the PC? /usr/share shouldn't have anything to do with syncing. It's part of the OS.

Quote:
Soft reset doesn't work.
Hard reset doesn't work.
Cannot reflash because I can't get it to power off!!
I'm surprised the power down button doesn't work. I know you mentioned this, but I think you should be able to let it go until the battery runs out and it shuts down. Then recharge it and reflash when you boot. That's what I'd try.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Hit the reset button on the back of the unit. That will do a hard power off.

Then, you can perform the reflash with a CF card. A normal reflash should work without problems.

Oh, and don't forget the most important step: Calm down, and take a few deep breaths. Your iLiad will work again soon. No need to panic.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Hi,

I had one the same problem. I changed the startup fille and Iliad continued with restarting.
Probably waiting for the emptiness the battery and restart with boot loader would solve the problem, but there is an easiest way.

Hit the reset button at the backside of the Iliad with the pen as Adam recommended. By this action you will stop the continuous restarting. Then switch off the unit and simultaneously hold the internet button (right up corner). Leave the power button and hold internet button for 5 seconds same time. If you have the system image in the CF card, boot loader will reflash the system from CF.
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
dso371
Enthusiast
dso371 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
THANKS

Finally got it to work as suggested, thanks guys! I thought my Iliad was dead but it has come back to life!

Much appreciated,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbebg View Post
Hi,

I had one the same problem. I changed the startup fille and Iliad continued with restarting.
Probably waiting for the emptiness the battery and restart with boot loader would solve the problem, but there is an easiest way.

Hit the reset button at the backside of the Iliad with the pen as Adam recommended. By this action you will stop the continuous restarting. Then switch off the unit and simultaneously hold the internet button (right up corner). Leave the power button and hold internet button for 5 seconds same time. If you have the system image in the CF card, boot loader will reflash the system from CF.
dso371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert