Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #1
BlackWings
BlackWings began at the beginning.

Device: KoboGlo
Trying to change cover on my koboglo?

hi, i own a koboglo and ive added an epub using calibre.

When i first added the epub to my kobo it didnt have a cover and just showed the first page of text when putting it to sleep or on the thumbnail. Later i decided to add a cover by using calibre. i changed the metadata and added the cover how i usually do. The cover showed in calibre and ADE but when I re-added it on my kobo the cover still showed as the first page of text.
(sorry if this doesn't make sense, im terrible at explaining things)

Ive also tried to re-add the epub with the cover by deleting the original using my kobo and calibre. Ive also tried re converting it epub to epub using calibre.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
BlackWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
In Calibre, go into Preferences, Plugins, Device Interface Plugins, and scroll down to the Kobo Reader Device Interface. Make sure that "Upload covers for books" is checked at the bottom. I also have "Upload black and white covers" checked, no sense wasting space on color images when the reader can't display them. Click OK, Apply, then delete the book and try re-adding it again and see if the cover will appear now.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
BlackWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
In Calibre, go into Preferences, Plugins, Device Interface Plugins, and scroll down to the Kobo Reader Device Interface. Make sure that "Upload covers for books" is checked at the bottom. I also have "Upload black and white covers" checked, no sense wasting space on color images when the reader can't display them. Click OK, Apply, then delete the book and try re-adding it again and see if the cover will appear now.
I tried these steps and the cover still doesnt show, even though when i go into the epub on my kobo and go to the first page the cover is there. it just doesnt show as the default cover.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Did you first delete the book, unplug the reader from the PC, then connect it to the USB and resend the book?

If that doesn't work, you could try the Kobo Utilities plugin. It has an option to Upload covers for selected books, but it really shouldn't be necessary, it should display covers without that plugin.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 03-07-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What Ripplinger suggested will help, but, it probably won't now. As the book is on the device already and covers have been generated, several things come into play.

The Kobo firmware generates covers for epubs from the first page of the book. So, if you open the book to the first page and see text, that is what is used. If it is a image, that will be used.

The cover is generated the first time it is needed. If the book is on the main memory it is saved to disk and reused. The KoboTouch driver handles this to a certain extent. If you resend the book, it will remove any generate and saved cover images.

If the book is on the SD card, it is not saved and will be generated each time it is needed needed.

The firmware keeps an in-memory cache of a few covers. This means it doesn't have to reread the cover image files that are shown on the home screen or being used for the sleep screen. And it means they don't have to be regenerated if the book is on the SD card.

You are probably being hit by the cache. If the cover is in the cache, there are two ways to remove it. One is to force it out by putting other covers in the cache. That means opening books, going through the library list and anything else that will do this. But, I don't know how big the cache is and hence don't know how many books you need to open or otherwise look at. The other way is to power off and on. This will restart the device and the cover cache (and any other caches that exist) will be restarted.

There is one other problem with the caches. If you delete a book from the device, the cover is not removed from the cache. That means if you use the device to delete the book, connect to the PC an send a new copy with a different cover, the old cover will still get displayed.

And as Ripplinger said, the driver has options to send the covers when sending the books. This is especially useful if you don't like the way that the device generates the cover. Also, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to remove or send new covers at other times.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #6
BlackWings

Thank you so much, both of you for taking the time to help out! turns out i just needed to turn the device on and off again and now the cover shows. thanks, again.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWings View Post
Thank you so much, both of you for taking the time to help out! turns out i just needed to turn the device on and off again and now the cover shows. thanks, again.

That's what I do.

It works all the time for me.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cover, koboglo