Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #736
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Me either. My holds still expire if I don't borrow within a certain time period -- 48 hrs. at one library, 72 hrs. at another and 5 days at yet another.
I'm not sure you can suspend a hold once the title comes up for you, but you can suspend it while you're in the queue, at least in Boston. So if several are coming up at once, at least you can manage your list somewhat.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #737
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm not sure you can suspend a hold once the title comes up for you, but you can suspend it while you're in the queue, at least in Boston. So if several are coming up at once, at least you can manage your list somewhat.
Either it's a new feature or it's optional and only certain libraries have it. None of mine 3 have it but that would be nice.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #738
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I haven't noticed it in the libraries I use (around 10) but I'll pay closer attention now.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #739
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Ick!! I went in to ADE to return a book so I could check out another. ADE 2.0 stopped working, so once again I found and downloaded 1.7. Something called an overdrive media counsel downloaded my books, and I am not sure they are all in ADE. I guess the reason is you can send books to a remote device through the overdrive media counsel, but I can't find a way to turn it off. Really, really annoying!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #740
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
They are now.
Actually, it's not the new version yet. The version on BPL might be a version or two before the new version. It's still a version with a list and in advanced search, the option to get 25 entries per search.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #741
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So how does one suspend a hold at Boston? I've never seen how to do it with eBooks. I know I can do it with physical media. All I can do via Overdrive at Boston is remove the hold or edit the email address the notice is sent to.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #742
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
That would be a super change if my library did that. While it happens rarely because of the long wait lists at my library, I once had 3 books become available within 3-4 days of each other. I wished I had a way to move down the list a peg when it happened, I thought it was a shame others couldn't be reading those books while waiting for me to get through all 3. But cancelling and going back to being #9 or higher in the queue just wasn't an option after the long wait.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #743
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it's not the new version yet. The version on BPL might be a version or two before the new version. It's still a version with a list and in advanced search, the option to get 25 entries per search.
I just noticed a total makeover from when I checked out my last book 10 days ago and when I checked out my latest one this morning. I assumed it was the most recent update. I hate it. So it's only going to get worse? Great.

Quote:
So how does one suspend a hold at Boston? I've never seen how to do it with eBooks. I know I can do it with physical media. All I can do via Overdrive at Boston is remove the hold or edit the email address the notice is sent to.
When I looked at my hold list this morning, each of the not yet available books had drop down options that included suspension in addition to deletion.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #744
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just noticed a total makeover from when I checked out my last book 10 days ago and when I checked out my latest one this morning. I assumed it was the most recent update. I hate it. So it's only going to get worse? Great.
What we have now is not that bad. The new Overdrive is noticeably slower. I like the ability to filter just eBooks or audiobooks. The newly added list view is a big help. Once you put a book in the bookshelf and have not yet downloaded it, you can return it. But the slowness is the most annoying thing.

Quote:
When I looked at my hold list this morning, each of the not yet available books had drop down options that included suspension in addition to deletion.
Can you please post a screen shot? I cannot find this drop down menu.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #745
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Can you please post a screen shot? I cannot find this drop down menu.
Sorry, I was wrong, it's not a drop-down menu, it's a checkoff. Select the book(s) and then choose suspend. Here's a screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BPL.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	104554  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #746
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Very cool, Issy. I just checked all four of mine and none have that option. I'm jealous!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #747
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Very cool, Issy. I just checked all four of mine and none have that option. I'm jealous!
It almost reconciles me to the rest of the changes I don't like! There's nothing more frustrating than having a book for which you've waited months become available at exactly the wrong time.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #748
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Yep. I never max out my checkout limits for that very reason. It would be doable if I had your 'suspend' option, though!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #749
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Yep. I never max out my checkout limits for that very reason. It would be doable if I had your 'suspend' option, though!
You can always early return a book through ADE or if it's Kindle through the MYK page.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #750
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You can always early return a book through ADE or if it's Kindle through the MYK page.
But if you haven't finished reading the books, you might not want to return one of them early.

My library allows only 4 checkouts, but 5 holds. I usually try to have only 3 books checked out at one time so I have a slot free in case one of my books on hold becomes available.

I hope all of our libraries will get this new hold suspension feature - it sounds really useful.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote