Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
Cannot Redo OptWare

well the only reason i tried to redo it all i dont know why but nothing was working and i removed the .ext3 image. the kindle rebooted itself and got stuck while making the image, and i couldnt mount it in Putty i get messages that Cannot read Superblock and fsck says its Corrupt.

i made it on another Linux system and copied it over, but it says the folders still exist. and i cant cd into /opt/etc

would a restore to factory defaults fix that?
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think that lacks information I would need to give hints. I didn't even understand in what current condition your Kindle is (otherwise working normal? only OptWare broken?) and what way of installing OptWare you took.

A "restore to factory defaults" should blank the userstore. Might help if the culprit lies there, but that's hard to tell (at least for me, but I never really played with OptWare).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
As a broad sweeping statement:

Reset to factory defaults will tidy up what is adjusted in the NON SYSTEM area.

That is to say if you were to place something under say "/usr" it would likely not be amended.
Whereas something under /mnt/us/usr wuold get a haircut.

I'll have a look at optware, see if I can figure out what you mean

For the future a LINK to the instructions you were following would go a LONG way to helping you.

Last edited by twobob; 07-13-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: made it clearer
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay I see from the thread HERE.

There there are two main methods. One involves actually installing in /OPT, The other talks about mounting it within /mnt/us/opt please indicate which you did.

Many thanks

Code:
I figured out how to install OptWare on /mnt/us partition (in an image file):
1. Create an ext3-image file on a Linux machine (e.g. 500MB) and copy it to your Kindle /mnt/us

dd if=/dev/zero of=./local.ext3 bs=1MiB count=500
mkfs.ext3 ./local.ext3
cp local.ext3 /media/Kindle

2. Over UsbNetwork or in KiTerm: blah blah blah
Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
twobob

One more thought: Asking for help on the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118472 Thread that you are following is often a good idea as the developers will watch their own threads. Regards,
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Optware thats how i went about it,

the state the Kindle 3rdgen of mine is in, 0.8N Jailbreak, Latest USBNetwork

even though the optware image is gone, the directories are still there, atm though in terms of functionality for its current state? stuff like the mplayer or kaffine still work can use its wifi browse the store read books use audio ones etc. just optware broke and i dont know why or how.

i haven't even used the kterm in almost 4 months and even then it worked when i last used it.

if theres a way to dump the entire filesystem into a image i would if it helped in examining the cause
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Optware thats how i went about it,

the state the Kindle 3rdgen of mine is in, 0.8N Jailbreak, Latest USBNetwork

even though the optware image is gone, the directories are still there, atm though in terms of functionality for its current state? stuff like the mplayer or kaffine still work can use its wifi browse the store read books use audio ones etc. just optware broke and i dont know why or how.

i haven't even used the kterm in almost 4 months and even then it worked when i last used it.

if theres a way to dump the entire filesystem into a image i would if it helped in examining the cause
Well I personally have never used optware but looking at the instructions it seems you just made a blank space, put a fs on it, linked it up via few ln -s 's and then splattered the image into the space.

1) dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/us/optware.ext3 bs=1MiB count=250
and 2) mkfs.ext3 /mnt/us/optware.ext3

are non invasive.
assumin gyou are running the mount command thusly:
mount -o loop,noatime -t ext3 /mnt/us/optware.ext3 /mnt/optware

if that fails I can only imagine its a somehow corrupted image.

Is there something really vital in there because if there isn't simply repeating the install - minus the linkage - should replace a virgin copy of the Optware at least.

The partition is - more or less - protected from the main files system by being virtually mounted on the Fat drive. Unless you followed any of the
DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE A NINJA steps - which I assume you didn't.

So whilst this isn't a definitive guide to fixing it. I hope it gives you an idea about the sort of state your system is in. pretty much unaffected really other than this bit wont work.

I am certain someone with more opt-chops than me can advise you if it is recoverable. I imagine not

Hope that helps
Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
There are plenty of posts claiming that you cannot recover files from corrupted ext3. I have, but it was not easy, not recent, and I do not remember which tools I used. I think I used some forensic "file carving" utilities. I learned a lot from that experience (then forgot all of it).

It is not impossible, but it is not easy.

At this time, this looks like a promising approach for ext3 recovery:
https://files.sans.org/summit/forens...leRecovery.pdf

And this:
http://www.giis.co.in/

And check out the file carving links here:
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Toolsata_Recovery

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
XiR_
XiR_ began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
well the only reason i tried to redo it all i dont know why but nothing was working and i removed the .ext3 image. the kindle rebooted itself and got stuck while making the image, and i couldnt mount it in Putty i get messages that Cannot read Superblock and fsck says its Corrupt.

i made it on another Linux system and copied it over, but it says the folders still exist. and i cant cd into /opt/etc

would a restore to factory defaults fix that?
It seems you didn't undo everything you did when you create the first optware installation and maybe you removed the .ext3 image while it was still mounted. Maybe it didn't reboot as when you exec 'reboot' from the terminal or tries to remount it as the kindle boots. If this is the case, undo all the stuff for making the image gets mounted on boot and reboot the kindle.

Without having access to the device I can't guess anything else that could help you.

Good luck
XiR_ is offline   Reply With Quote