Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Odd broswer behavior on Knlde 3

This has happened twice so far. I'm fairly sure I've only used it to access a private wiki that I control and only a couple people have access to. The first time was a week or so ago and the second just happened. When changing pages it randomly goes to www.google.com freezes for a moment and tries to jump to a hairball of a subdomain on rr.nu. The subdomain was different for both incidents.

Anybody else experience anything like this or know what's causing it and how concerned should I be?

Last edited by Teyrnon; 03-06-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If that was happening on my computer (redirecting web pages to unknown urls) my first thought would be a virus of some kind. In fact a quick search on google for that subdomain returns complaints from people of their sites being hacked.

Possibly hook it up to your PC and run a virus check on it? Or does something similar happen when you visit your wiki in any other way (perhaps it's the site and not your Kindle that's got the problem)?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
If that was happening on my computer (redirecting web pages to unknown urls) my first thought would be a virus of some kind. In fact a quick search on google for that subdomain returns complaints from people of their sites being hacked.

Possibly hook it up to your PC and run a virus check on it? Or does something similar happen when you visit your wiki in any other way (perhaps it's the site and not your Kindle that's got the problem)?
I don't think the OS/software of the Kindle are even accessible when mounted so it would be rather difficult to just hook it up to a PC and scan it. The Kindle 3 browser is the only place I've seen it happen. I've checked the sources for the pages where I saw this happen and didn't see anything. I'm downloading the entire mediawiki install to a local drive and plan to do some scans of it for any references to anything rr.nu.

I'm perplexed.

Last edited by Teyrnon; 03-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Teyrnon
Groupie

For what it's worth the problem was definitely on the server side. What a mess.