Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #256
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Yeah, but that's the point, isn't it? This thing is a Front End for the Amazon Store.
More accurate to say that it's a front end for the Amazon cloud. If you saw the press conf, that was very definitely "the message".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #257
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I shan't be buying one myself. None of these devices offers anything that I want over my existing K3.
Putting aside the Fire, I agree with you on this, having what is now a KK myself.

As soon as the Amazon page came up, I jumped on it and ordered a Fire & a Touch SO, mainly to get in line fast. But after a little reflection, I realized that as much as I would like a Touch, and think I would prefer it over the KK, the two devices are pretty close in size, and the Touch offers nothing more in comparison.

I'd make a straight swap, though.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #258
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You are right about it being awkward, but I'm betting that movies can be sideloaded, and hoping that there will be a Dropbox app.
No DropBox; but they do have Box.net and SugarSync.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #259
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd make a straight swap, though.
I wouldn't. I do a lot of annotation in my books, and the Touch has (shudder) a soft keyboard in alphabetical order. That's just horrible - who could type on that?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #260
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
I wouldn't. I do a lot of annotation in my books, and the Touch has (shudder) a soft keyboard in alphabetical order. That's just horrible - who could type on that?
its a really bad decision to not have a qwerty keyboard. i dont know how that got past the committee
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #261
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
wha??? that has to be customizable, right?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #262
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
wha??? that has to be customizable, right?
Who knows? All I've seen is the picture:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=2
Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #263
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i dont know how that got past the committee
That's because I was in charge of that committee and I hate keyboards
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #264
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Isn't the cloud storage going to be a problem since wi-fi is slowish for downloads and not everyone has convenient access to open wifi (not all of us have wifi networks at home).
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #265
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Eh? I'm looking at screens and its a QWERTY. Check out the hands-on stuff.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #266
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
Eh? I'm looking at screens and its a QWERTY. Check out the hands-on stuff.
Thank goodness for that! Perhaps the alphabetical one is just on the non-Touch version in that case.

VERY happy to be wrong about that - thanks!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #267
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thank goodness for that! Perhaps the alphabetical one is just on the non-Touch version in that case.

VERY happy to be wrong about that - thanks!
Yeah; that pic was for the Button Kindle. It's for the old school texting crowd.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #268
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Hmm, the home screen interface looks a little slicker on the Touch. Looks the same as the current one on the regular ...
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #269
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
More accurate to say that it's a front end for the Amazon cloud. If you saw the press conf, that was very definitely "the message".
Well, obviously it's both, but the cloud is merely part of the sales pitch to get one of these into the customer's hands. At that point, what you are holding is the Amazon Instant Gratification and Purchasing Machine.

You have just walked in the front door of the Amazon Internet Store, where you will find it so so easy to one-touch purchase all kinds of digital and non-digital goodies.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #270
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And $79 for the special offers version.
Wow!

That's really, really an aggressive and low price! Even the one without ads, just about 100 bucks is a really nice price!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote