Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kindle and Nook app on same e-reader, plus color: does Pocketbook IQ fits the bill?

I am looking for a color device (wish could be eink, but not available at this point I think) which can handles Nook and Kindle application on the same device. My wife and I tried the NC but did not fit the bill; too locked and does not support landscape right now, besides other things.

My question is, would Pocketbook IQ fit the bill? These are some of the more important features we are looking for:

-Android platform but not locked
-Color device
-Not too heavy
-Around $200.00 (could be 50 more or less)

This won't be for long reading sessions and I already have a main e-reader, which is a Kindle; more like an alternative device.

Any inputs from Pocketbook IQ users?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
You can use many of the reader applications out there. I am not sure what nook applications are out there but you can certainly use kindle on the IQ.

The IQ comes with its own reader. I am now using moon+ reader and overdrive (for library books). In the past, I have tried Laputa, Aldiko and FBReaderJ.

Have a look at this link. It outlines some (not all) of the possible apps:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...allation-pack/

The site mentioned that Nook apps do not work on the IQ.

Cheers

Last edited by hiaig; 01-12-2011 at 01:20 PM.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for reply. I don't know where but I read Nook app works.

Can you please tell me what your current experience with the device is? For instance: battery, software issues or freezes ... etc
Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My experience is that the Nook app installs but does not run on my unrooted IQ.
Reading apps that do run:
Kindle
Kobo/Borders
Overdrive media console
Audible
Aldiko
eReader
FBreader
Coolreader
zMoon reader
Adobe reader
And probably another dozen I'm not aware of.
Plus the native Pocketbook reader app which is stable but barebones.
Battery life is about 7 hours with wifi on, about 10 without it.
Crashes I've never had; Android has issues but stability isn't one of them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
fjtorres summed it up well in terms of usability.

- Battery life is decent. It all depends on how you plan to use the IQ.

- The touchscreen in fine for basic web surfing and ereading (but not if you plan to play games -- even solitaire is brutal)

- My only issue that I have right now with the unit is the fact that it randomly wakes up from sleep and thereby using up battery unecessarily -- I found that disabling some of the widgets helped not did not eliminate the problem.

- If you do not root the IQ, you are limited as to how many apps you can install before you run out of space.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

Hmm root,root,root... lol ... so a similar situation like Nook Color? thought IQ was more open. It's not that I can't root it but was looking for an "out of the box" ready device. Still sounds like a cheap and nice tablet.

If I don't root apps will reside on SD card, right? and then moved to RAM each time we call them?

No demo stores in USA right?

Last edited by jocampo; 01-12-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Oreocat
Oreocat began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 701
Hi, I just got my PB 701 last week and I love it. I upgraded it, which was very easy, and am trying out several ebook readers. Currently, favorites are AEPReader and Coolreader.

I agree, fjtorres covered it pretty well. I'm not really missing the market, my main usage is for reading, and very light gaming, cards, match three, and etc. The individual apks are fairly easy to find and install through my sd card.

About the only complaint is the screen is a little grainy at first. You do become used to it, but initially, I was disappointed.

I do want to say the best price, with a 30 day return (not an exchange which it what all the others listed) was at Dulins Books. Not promoting them per say, just that I did a lot of searching and comparing in the past three weeks, and they had the best price and terms.

Hope this helps
Oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmm root,root,root... lol ... so a similar situation like Nook Color? thought IQ was more open. It's not that I can't root it but was looking for an "out of the box" ready device. Still sounds like a cheap and nice tablet.

If I don't root apps will reside on SD card, right? and then moved to RAM each time we call them?

No demo stores in USA right?
Compared to some other Android tablets, the IQ *is* more open.
Rooting isn't about installing apps (like on Nook or the early Pandigitals) but about hacking the OS itself. Making the IQ more of a PC and less of an appliance.

"Out of the box ready" can mean different things to different people so you may have to be a bit more specific about your needs.

If you want an affordable Android webpad that lets you install compatible apps as you see fit, within the limits of the OS and the hardware, then the IQ might serve. But it is up to you to find, test, and evaluate those apps.

Out of the box it only comes with the Pocketbook reader and Dictionary apps loaded. Both are promising but unfinished.

As for apps, they are technically loaded into a portion of onboard RAM that (apparently) gets mirrored into RAM at bootup. This is a "feature" of Android 2.0 so, while you get 2GB of internal flash, in addition to whatever SD card you add to the system, you only get about 60-80MB of app space before getting "out-of-memory" warnings. That is good for about 30 installed apps.
(That is where rooting comes in as the apps2sd application patches the OS to allow apps to reside on the SD card and be mirrored to RA only when launched. This behavior is supposed to be inherent in Android 2.2. Can't vouch for it, though.)

During testing, I had all the reading apps I listed above installed at once (except for the Nook app--it is "enormous" for an Android app, 2-3X the size of the Kindle app) plus the Dolphin HD browser, several games and a dozen news applets. The only issue I encountered was that the Dolphin Browser got unstable after the "low on memory" warning popped up.

Once I figured which apps I wanted to keep, I restored to factory spec, reinstalled the working config, and I've been spending my IQ time using the device rather than hacking it. I haven't rooted or even swapped out the obnoxiously bright boot page.

So, no, it is not out-of-the box usable as a Color Kindle or multi-format reader, not yet. It isn't a pure appliance like a Pocketbook 360 or a Kindle, either. It needs setup, much as a PC.

But if you know what the device is and what your needs are, it might be a match.

As for demo stores, Pocketbook has Kiosks in Kansas City and Seattle.
Other than that its a matter of web video.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreocat View Post
Hi, I just got my PB 701 last week and I love it. I upgraded it, which was very easy, and am trying out several ebook readers. Currently, favorites are AEPReader and Coolreader.

I agree, fjtorres covered it pretty well. I'm not really missing the market, my main usage is for reading, and very light gaming, cards, match three, and etc. The individual apks are fairly easy to find and install through my sd card.

About the only complaint is the screen is a little grainy at first. You do become used to it, but initially, I was disappointed.

I do want to say the best price, with a 30 day return (not an exchange which it what all the others listed) was at Dulins Books. Not promoting them per say, just that I did a lot of searching and comparing in the past three weeks, and they had the best price and terms.

Hope this helps
Thanks

When you say upgraded are you talking about Android version? Hmm ... interesting comment about the screen; what you mean with grainy, are you referring to screen resolution ?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When you say upgraded are you talking about Android version?
There was an OS update released on 12 Dec that replaced the File manager and upgraded the SlideMe market app and the PBReader. Strongly recommended before doing anything with the IQ.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

fjtorres,

Thanks for reply.

When I asked for rooting, I was aware that is an Os rooting :-) .. what I am looking for is for a device that comes unlocked in some way, not that runs on top of Linux but it is encapsulated with another "face" or application, like Nook Color. Nook Color runs Android but it is not visible unless we root the device. As far as I know, the IQ does not look is locked in that way and that's what catches my attention. With NC if you root, will affect future upgrades or you will have to take additional steps to avoid problems, not sure if that's the case with the IQ.

Again, I am not afraid of rooting (my laptops at home all run Linux) but really want something working "out of the box". Out of the box to me means, I can run or install Nook and Kindle app without a major Operating System change or a minimum. I will have to investigate and check here what are the additional steps on IQ in order to do that.

Android Market would be ok, but my #1 priority would be running Nook and KIndle, so my wife can enjoy magazines and B&N stuff plus the books I already have on Kindle store. I can live without Android Market.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
So, no, it is not out-of-the box usable as a Color Kindle or multi-format reader, not yet. It isn't a pure appliance like a Pocketbook 360 or a Kindle, either. It needs setup, much as a PC.

I do like that. I'm almost sold ...

What about text to speech on Spanish, for example...

Last edited by jocampo; 01-12-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Hmm ... interesting comment about the screen; what you mean with grainy, are you referring to screen resolution ?
The IQ has - other than the nook color - a resistive screen instead of a capacitive. And you do notive the difference. Which is why I sold my IQ. After using an iPhone for about two years, any device with a resistive screen is two steps back.

Reaction is slower, you really have to press with your fingers, and the screen itself looks like it has been covered with some oily liquid creating a steady grainy, rainbow color effect.
If you want to use the device primarily for reading, stick to the nook color. If you want to surf the Internet the IQ is fine for the price.

Or buy a Galaxy Tab.

Last edited by K-Thom; 01-12-2011 at 07:07 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What about text to speech on Spanish, for example...
That is tied in to the PB Reader app.
It is promised for the upcoming 2.2 update.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Or buy a Galaxy Tab.
Nice tablet/hardware but there is no way to buy it cheap unless you get it with a cellphone carrier.