Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
epub & Kobo

I'm not sure if this is an epub question or a Kobo question but I suspect that it belongs here.

I recently looked at the Kobo reader at my local Indigo and one of the things that I noticed was the presence of headers and footers, book title in the header and chapter title in the foot (along with chapter page numbers!)

Is this something unique to the Kobo or can these be added to any epub and if so how. Or are these books in some special Kobo format?

cheers
G
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's probably some extra interface element added by Kobo. Headers and footers are a real pain with the current epub spec.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
It's probably some extra interface element added by Kobo.
Yes, most likely they reserved the portion of the screen for the reading platform indicator panel(s). However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Headers and footers are a real pain with the current epub spec.
I think that Kobo (like almost everybody else) uses ADE, where it is possible to use their proprietary layout extensions (yikes!) as documented in their EPUB Best Practices Guide
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sure it was general, Grumbles, rather than down to the particular file you were testing? My own wee house has tested many of its ePubs on Kobo and never noticed this glitch. Headers and footers have no place in ebook versions (other than in PDF, perhaps). Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I think that Kobo (like almost everybody else) uses ADE, where it is possible to use their proprietary layout extensions (yikes!) as documented in their EPUB Best Practices Guide
I documented my attempts to use page-template in another thread. Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to use it to produce running headers and footers, since a block which is shifted to another region will only appear on the page where it appears in the text.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Sure it was general, Grumbles, rather than down to the particular file you were testing? My own wee house has tested many of its ePubs on Kobo and never noticed this glitch. Headers and footers have no place in ebook versions (other than in PDF, perhaps). Neil
Yes it was. There were eight units available to look at. I looked at several and several books on each. All had a title header and a chapter footer.

I was afraid that it might be something unique to the Kobo. I want headers and footers on my pages if possible. I want to know where I am in the book and a chapter reference on the page is nice. Page numbers on the other hand, are of limited use.

The best thing about epub is that it gives us a standard. On the other hand it appears to be incomplete. Page layout is important -- even for ebooks -- and this appears to be an area where the standards need to improved (or added.)

Cheers
G
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I guess -- like the devices themselves -- ebook formats are still in the prototype stage right now, Grumbles. As I say, though, we've tested our ePubs (in-house-prepared, as opposed to auto-conversion) and they seem to work well on Kobo. If you like, pop into the bookstore section of our site (www.bewrite.net) and pick out two or three titles that catch your eye. Just email me (ntmarrATbewrite.net [with the @ sign, of courese]) and I'll send them over with out compliments to check out. Happy weekend. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote