Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Ozlo
Ozlo began at the beginning.

Device: Droid X
Looking for PDF DRM removal help

A couple of years ago I purchased a shop manual for an old car in PDF form. What I didn't know at the time I purchased it is that it came with DRM and could only be viewed on Windows machines. I have four computers at home. They all run various flavors of Linux.

I was rather frustrated but I really wanted some of the information from the book so I installed it on my computer at work. It has been a royal pain to only be able to view this thing at work.

We were recently notified that we will be getting new computers this summer. So in a few months I am going to have to find a way to move this thing to a new computer. What is even worse is that I can no longer find the original CD.

In addition, I acquired a Droid X last fall and I love this thing! I would really like to be able to view it from the Droid.

The PDF is just scans of the original manuals. 1654 pages. All images. It is protected by something called OwnerGuard License Manager. I've googled for ways to remove this but haven't had any luck.

I'm really fed up with this. When I bought it I thought I would be able to view it on any computer since it was a PDF. Turns out it is a huge pain in the butt just to use it at all.

They actually have other books I would like to buy, but after my experiences with this one, there is no way I'm buying something else from them unless I know in advance that I can remove the DRM.

Thanks, if for nothing else than letting me vent. If you have any ideas on how I can liberate this thing, I would love to hear them.
Ozlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
ic237
ic237 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozlo View Post
A couple of years ago I purchased a shop manual for an old car in PDF form. What I didn't know at the time I purchased it is that it came with DRM and could only be viewed on Windows machines. I have four computers at home. They all run various flavors of Linux.
I sent you a pm.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-31-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: trimmed quote
ic237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Detailed DRM removal help is not permitted here.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
ic237

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Detailed DRM removal help is not permitted here.
Do you see any detailed DRM removal help here?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not at all. Your answer wasn't a problem at all. If it had been, I would have quoted it, explained what was wrong, and probably sent you a PM as well.

But the original question might well have lead to detailed discussion of DRM removal, which is why I commented as I did.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
xxx666yyy777
xxx666yyy777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic237 View Post
I sent you a pm.
Can you send me one too?
xxx666yyy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Me three?
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:33 AM   #8
ic237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Me three?
There is no way to remove a DRM. However wonderful things are possible with printer spool data if you can capture it.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic237 View Post
There is no way to remove a DRM. However wonderful things are possible with printer spool data if you can capture it.
High-resolution PC or tablet + screen capturing (couple of seconds per page) would not be a bad idea either.

Last edited by markom; 07-31-2015 at 09:19 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
ic237

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
High-resolution PC or tablet + screen capturing (couple of seconds per page) would not be a bad idea either.
It's been a while since I screwed around with drm, but I think screen shots are a no go. In !y case if you tried it, the book would close.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:10 AM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Google Apprentice Alf.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
crovaxnsalash
crovaxnsalash began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro 3
[LINK DELETED]

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-30-2015 at 07:45 AM.
crovaxnsalash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by crovaxnsalash View Post
[LINK DELETED]
Moderator Notice

Direct links to DRM removal software are not permitted.