Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #106
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elece View Post
Did I hear somewhere that the MobiDeDRM doesn't work with books bought from Mobipocket.com?
It works on all MOBI files.

It is Igor's script, kindlefix (which allows DRMed MOBI files to run on the Kindle), that does not work on mobipocket.com files, because they changed their servers to disallow the Kindle PID. This means that mobidedrm is the only option for reading such MOBIs on a Kindle.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #107
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiosar View Post
Has anyone else had this, and is there a way round it?
MobiPocket is stripping out the "*" from the PID, see Fictionwise and the Kindle.. I thought I read that getting FictionWise to remove the "bad" PID and resubmitting it may work, but I can't find the post.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #108
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Or if you have MobiPocket desktop on your PC use the PC's PID.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #109
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Phew...I finally got this to work and can now get this to work with my public library.

thanks to Igor and others who posted their helpful hints. This may have been posted earlier (admittedly i didn't read EVERY post) but when entering your Kindle Serial number, do NOT include the spaces or you will get the wrong PID.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #110
dksather
dksather began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unable to open from library download

First of all I would like to thank all of you who are so full of information. I finally managed to send a book to my Kindle from my local library but when I tried to open in I got the message.

"The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon you can try redownloading from Content Manager."

I know it was discussed that it was possible that there was no time remaining in the checkout period, but I had just checked this item out and there was in fact 20 days remaining, which I verified.

I thought I had done all of the other steps correctly, but I am not only a novice, but completely blank in computerese, and I would appreciate help at this point.
Thank you...
Darlene
Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksather View Post
"The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon you can try redownloading from Content Manager."
Did you run Kindlefix on it?

BOb
Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #112
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you run Kindlefix on it?

BOb
You will also get this message if you did not use a PID that matches your Kindle...that's what happened to me the first time.

Make sure you converted the serial number correctly...case sensitive, don't confuse 0's and O's, and do not include spaces.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #113
dksather
dksather began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
You will also get this message if you did not use a PID that matches your Kindle...that's what happened to me the first time.

Make sure you converted the serial number correctly...case sensitive, don't confuse 0's and O's, and do not include spaces.
Thank you, it was an incorrect PID and "Leep" was kind enough to walk me thru my mistakes.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #114
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksather View Post
Thank you, it was an incorrect PID and "Leep" was kind enough to walk me thru my mistakes.
Leep is a treasure and should be nominated for sainthood......especially after dealing with me!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #115
NedScharpf
NedScharpf began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine6855 View Post
Ok. I downloaded python and put Igor's scripts in the scripts folder. I edited my path to include c:\python25 and c:\python25\tools\scripts. I ran the kindlePID.py using Igor's serial and got the PID. So far so good.

I then downloaded a book using the PID. Now I don't know what to do.

In command prompt, I entered the path to where the book was located and entered kindlefix.py ClassifiedChristmas-586.prc V176CXM*FZ and received
'kindlefix.py' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I then went to path: c:\python25\tools\scripts and enter the same as above and received to much to write. Needless to say, it didn't work.

So, what am I doing wrong? I am excited I got the kindlepid.py to work. Now if I would just figure out the rest.
I get a message similar to the one that worked for above person but it says that PID did not match the file - help! I have spent hours on this. Bummer.

Ned
Old 11-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #116
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedScharpf View Post
I get a message similar to the one that worked for above person but it says that PID did not match the file - help! I have spent hours on this. Bummer.

Ned
Ned, we've been working on a Visual Guide for the Kindle wiki, showing you (with images) how to use KindlePID, KindleFIX and Mobi2Mobi.

Please checkout the wiki pages and see if that helps you.

Visual Kindle Guide wiki
Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #117
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedScharpf View Post

Ned
The message you replied to said that they use "Igor's serial".

Understand you must use the serial number of YOUR Kindle when you get the PID. Not the ones in any samples shown on this site.

It is easiest to cut n paste the serial number from Amazon web site into your command line so you know 100% it is correct.

BOb
Old 11-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The easiest solution is to get a hold of MobiDeDRM.py 0.04 and using a PID that's valid like one for Mobipocket Reader, strip out the DRM and then the Kindle can display these eBooks and Calibre can convert then to LRF for the 500/505/700.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #119
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The easiest solution is to get a hold of MobiDeDRM.py 0.04 and using a PID that's valid like one for Mobipocket Reader, strip out the DRM and then the Kindle can display these eBooks and Calibre can convert then to LRF for the 500/505/700.
Better maybe... but easier...??? Running the kindlefix script takes the same amount of effort as running the dedrm script. Actually, the dedrm script requires one extra parameter.

Also, the mobipocket servers now seem to be rejecting the Kindle PIDs. It may only be a matter of time before Overdrive does too.

Also, if you have a Kindle there is no need to convert the mobi ebook to LRF.

BOb
Old 11-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Better maybe... but easier...??? Running the kindlefix script takes the same amount of effort as running the dedrm script. Actually, the dedrm script requires one extra parameter.

Also, the mobipocket servers now seem to be rejecting the Kindle PIDs. It may only be a matter of time before Overdrive does too.
So then the best choice would be to remove the DRM and not have to worry about what servers accept Kindle PIDs or not.

Quote:
Also, if you have a Kindle there is no need to convert the mobi ebook to LRF.
I was just letting people who read this thread know that getting DRM Free Mobipocket eBooks onto a Sony Reader is very easy. And some people do own some flavor Sony and a Kindle. So it's nice to know that the same eBook can have the DRM stripped and read on both devices.
Closed Thread