Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #46
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I had a pre-order due to today, I've been able to download it. There are still another three pending ones, I hope no problem with them.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Coming Back Gone Poem

It's gone, but it's going to come back.
Or it's already back, but it never was gone.
But gone is a time long to not come back.
By back, I mean gone but going to return.
And coming back, they had to be gone.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #48
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If they come back I sure hope their website is easier to use. I never bought a single book there because of the navigation.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #49
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I loved their discount codes, buying many epubs and audiobooks there. I hope they're not gone for good, but if they are I'll truly miss them.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #50
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
At the very least this may help the other epub selling bookstores. I don't know what was BoB's market share but they did have their customers. Hopefully, they will migrate over to Kobo, Sony, Diesel or Google. Or back to B&N for nookers.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #51
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I thought I was singlehandedly keeping them in business!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #52
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Or back to B&N for nookers.
That'll never happen for this 'nooker'.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #53
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Or back to B&N for nookers.
Oh you spelled it with an N.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #54
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Publishers Weekly has an article about BoB including quotes from owner Bob LiVolsi. Basically, he's looking for investors.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b....html#comments
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #55
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I bought a few books from BoB, but I don't think their discounts were as good as they first appeared. Every book I looked at during their recent 40% off sale could be found at the same price or cheaper at Diesel or Kobo.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #56
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Every book I looked at during their recent 40% off sale could be found at the same price or cheaper at Diesel or Kobo.
Where as in the US they were cheaper than anyone, including Amazon, on most things I checked. Diesel is on rare occasion cheaper and Kobo pretty much never is unless you can find a good code.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #57
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Publishers Weekly has an article about BoB including quotes from owner Bob LiVolsi. Basically, he's looking for investors.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b....html#comments
Quote:
Livolsi has been critical of how the switch to the agency pricing model was implemented from the beginning and voiced complaints that it was organized strictly to benefit the big retail players and “devastated,” independent e-book sellers.
Interesting that he says it was organized to benefit the big players when the participating publishers claimed that it was aimed at keeping a level field so that the smaller bookstores could keep in business: keeping the big players with a larger margin from undercutting the smaller ones with a tighter margin.

I agree the agency model hurt the consumer in the end and even with the supposed "demise" of the agency model, I'm not seeing much improvement yet.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #58
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Interesting that he says it was organized to benefit the big players when the participating publishers claimed that it was aimed at keeping a level field so that the smaller bookstores could keep in business: keeping the big players with a larger margin from undercutting the smaller ones with a tighter margin.
He's talking about the switch over to Agency as it left stores like BoB without Agency titles to sell for much longer than the big guys.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #59
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Where as in the US they were cheaper than anyone, including Amazon, on most things I checked. Diesel is on rare occasion cheaper and Kobo pretty much never is unless you can find a good code.
This has been my experience also. Almost every book on my TBR list is now the same non-discounted price at Kobo, Diesel, Sony and Google. Amazon and B&N also although I don't shop there.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #60
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He's talking about the switch over to Agency as it left stores like BoB without Agency titles to sell for much longer than the big guys.
The next paragraph after the one I quoted addresses the supposed benefits for the smaller stores, but as we've seen from Fictionwise and others, the consumer is the one who has ultimately suffered. I bargain shop for ebooks just like I bargain shop for other items. That's how I first found Fictionwise (originally for RocketBook, then multiformat), Baen (also originally for RocketBook, then multiformat), Kobo (for EPUB), and BoB (also for EPUB). When an ebook is priced the same at all retailers, I have LESS incentive to buy it from one of the smaller retailers, and in some cases, less incentive to buy it at all, especially if it's as much or MORE than a physical copy.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote