Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #286
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't like the idea of that browser much. Too much walled garden and big brother watching for me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #287
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Like I said this morning, some analyst say Kindle Fire is being sold 50 bucks below any profit and actual cost. At least, that's why some experts say.
I wonder about that claim, actually. Consoles can play the razor/razorblade game because of their lifespan and total lock-in, plus their healthy margins (games cost $60 retail).

At $200, I doubt Amazon is making much margin-but I'd be surprised if they were taking a 25% loss on each unit-just seems pretty high. I suppose this could just be to grab market share at first.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #288
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And yet I notice you have a Sony PRS-350 which does not have a card slot .
It hit the hundred dollar point caveat on sale, although I had to wait for it to ship from Canada. If I could have gotten a new screen for the pocket pro easily, I would have..
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #289
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't like the idea of that browser much. Too much walled garden and big brother watching for me.
Did you read their T&C notice for the browser? Pretty interesting stuff.
Quote:
Amazon Silk optimizes and accelerates the delivery of web content by using Amazon’s cloud computing services. Therefore, like most Internet service providers and similar services that enable you to access the Web, the content of web pages you visit using Amazon Silk passes through our servers and may be cached to improve performance on subsequent page loads.

Amazon Silk also temporarily logs web addresses  known as uniform resource locators (“URLs”)  for the web pages it serves and certain identifiers, such as IP or MAC addresses, to troubleshoot and diagnose Amazon Silk technical issues. We generally do not keep this information for longer than 30 days.
I wonder if people will trust Amazon with this information more than, say, Apple or Microsoft if they were to do something similar. Or maybe no one will read the T&C anyways
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #290
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Did you read their T&C notice for the browser? Pretty interesting stuff.

I wonder if people will trust Amazon with this information more than, say, Apple or Microsoft if they were to do something similar. Or maybe no one will read the T&C anyways
No I had not read it, just thinking about what it was and what that means.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #291
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Kenny, you're too paranoid ... ... just joking ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #292
kennyc

Quote:
Kenny, you're too paranoid ... ... just joking ...
Never trust a computer (or company!)

Of course it's not like the CIA isn't already tracking our every click and character typed.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #293
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Like I said this morning, some analyst say Kindle Fire is being sold 50 bucks below any profit and actual cost. At least, that's why some experts say.

http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-will...sold-28183762/

So, everything is and will be about Amazon's content of course.
Analyst, pfft.

The months preceeding today's announcement saw article after article of claims and speculation, citing analysts and mysterious sources whose info turned out to be mostly garbage. I mean what the hell: MC Siegler writes a "I saw it and these here are the details!" type article, cited by half the tech sites on the internet, that turns out to be 90% incorrect. Before that could be verified, however, he wrote an updated article changing the details from the first, which once again caused a huge stir and was cited by a gillion media outlets, and it still got some things wrong.

Seriously I don't know how some of these bloggers and analysts retain credibility, or why tech journalists continue to quote them.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #294
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Analyst, pfft.

The months preceeding today's announcement saw article after article of claims and speculation, citing analysts and mysterious sources whose info turned out to be mostly garbage. I mean what the hell: MC Siegler writes a "I saw it and these here are the details!" type article, cited by half the tech sites on the internet, that turns out to be 90% incorrect. Before that could be verified, however, he wrote an updated article changing the details from the first, which once again caused a huge stir and was cited by a gillion media outlets, and it still got some things wrong.

Seriously I don't know how some of these bloggers and analysts retain credibility, or why tech journalists continue to quote them.
Yep, if only they were all in the otter family.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #295
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Is there anyone who is not happy?

Well a little bit anyway.
I am not happy! Where the hell's my Fire? I ordered it this morning!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #296
kennyc

What? We're not going to have a release party with people camped out and lined up around the amazon stores a week before? Oh wait there are no Amazon stores, this is all by mail order..dang..how dull! Sheesh!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #297
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
What? We're not going to have a release party with people camped out and lined up around the amazon stores a week before? Oh wait there are no Amazon stores, this is all by mail order..dang..how dull! Sheesh!
You could set up a tent by your mailbox if it makes you feel better...
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #298
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Hmmmm...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #299
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Is there an App for that?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #300
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Is there an App for that?
Yep, tap-a-tent