Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Paddlin
Paddlin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, but usually not iBooks
Locking down (literally) e-readers

I'm going to be showing some content on e-readers at a conference in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out the best way to leave the different devices on the table in my booth and not have them stolen.

My first thought was to build a tabletop with holes cut in it, so people could play around with them but not take them anywhere. I'm leaning away from that idea now though, just because I feel the experience is better if people can hold them in their hands.

I'll have an iPad, a color Nook, and a Kindle. The Nook Color has a little notch in it that I could run a cable through, so that shouldn't be any problem. I know iPad locks exist, so I could just buy something like that. As for the Kindle though, I have no real ideas. Anybody out there have any?
Paddlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
something like this? I have no idea the price though..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
something like this? I have no idea the price though..
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/231612.html

With shipping from that site, it looks to be about $21 (ground shipping) to $43 (1-day shipping).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Finally, a use for that little corner on the Nook Color! A lock! I feel much better now.

Anyway, how do stores like Best Buy do it? Probably they glue a lock on. If you don't want to damage the device, you might consider that 3M adhesive that is used for hanging pictures and so on. If someone knew what kind of adhesive it was, they could certainly take it off by pulling it in the right direction, but that would be time-consuming and hopefully you would notice. Depending on how busy your booth is.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
Usually retailers lock the device down via a 3m type adhesive to hold a security sensor to the device that is then attached to a receiver on the display. Personally I would consider a recoiler type device attached to it, or have someone on hand to help people with the devices usage.
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Paddlin
Paddlin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, but usually not iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by graff_king View Post
Usually retailers lock the device down via a 3m type adhesive to hold a security sensor to the device that is then attached to a receiver on the display. Personally I would consider a recoiler type device attached to it, or have someone on hand to help people with the devices usage.
Borders saved me. Since they were ditching all of their store fixtures anyway, they sold me a couple of their old security sensors (like the one graff_king described above) for next to nothing. Thanks for the input everybody.
Paddlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlin View Post
Borders saved me. Since they were ditching all of their store fixtures anyway, they sold me a couple of their old security sensors (like the one graff_king described above) for next to nothing. Thanks for the input everybody.
Sounds like you got lucky indeed. Incidentally the idea of locking books down is a very old one. If you've seen books held in a cover made of wood covered in leather with a chain attached (in a museum) that's why it looks that way. In the old days those who could afford hand written books (Pre-Gutenberg) would literally chain their books to the library table sometimes so that guests wouldn't go home with something extra in their luggage.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote