Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #121
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Thumbs up Calibre now supports this!

As of v0.7.44, Calibre automatically adds this functionality to .mobi files.

MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files.
Closes tickets: 8721

Note that you cannot currently customize what ASIN is used (through the Calibre user interface). Mobi2Mobi is no longer required for this functionality, unless you want to set the ASIN value yourself, perhaps to the Kindle or paperback ASIN.

I requested this feature of Kovid maybe a week ago (daffy4u had originally requested it but I think that request was closed due to a simple misunderstanding) and he added it right in just a few days ago.

I verified it with several books that I converted from .pdf to .mobi, and they are syncing perfectly between my Kindle and Kindle for iPhone (both directions, no problems).

Thanks so much Kovid!!
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #122
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Nice!

I had no idea this was in the works. I assume it only sets the ASIN field when one doesn't already exist? I'll have to check.

This will make it a lot easier for people.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #123
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Now that this is handled in Calibre, I'm giving this a try (I didn't want to bother booting a VM on my Mac for mobi2mobi gui and I've had no luck at all with the perl tools). I'm only having limited success, though, especially if the book existed on my Kindle previously (of course I'm downloading new versions with the Calibre server)

I'd really like to use this on Amazon books that I've "fixed" - I'm a little anal about metadata and TOC stuff. I did notice up-thread, that there might be a problem if the book exists in the archive - can someone elaborate on that for me, please and thank you?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #124
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd really like to use this on Amazon books that I've "fixed" - I'm a little anal about metadata and TOC stuff. I did notice up-thread, that there might be a problem if the book exists in the archive - can someone elaborate on that for me, please and thank you?
I think you're always going to have trouble with this if the ebooks already exist in your Kindle archive. There always seems to be some confusion as to what it's syncing to exactly; should I sync to the original version from the archive, or should I sync based on the "fixed" version?

You (or should I say we) need to find out if the new version of calibre is changing the asin field (since it already exists) of your modified Amazon purchases. If it is, I suspect that you should be able to sync (furthest read page only), since it's getting a new, random, different (fake) ASIN number.

If calibre is leaving the existing Amazon ASIN field alone... then you're probably going to have difficulties. In essence, you going to have two different copies of an ebook with the same ASIN (the one on your devices and the one in your archive). In which case, the legit version in your archive is most assuredly going to take precedence.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-06-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #125
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I can picture what's going on somewhat better now. I'm going to have to break down and boot the VM, aren't i?

ETA - I looked at the files with mobi2mobi gui, and the AISN had been changed. I tried another few books and it was working, but there are a couple of books that simply won't work.

Syncing isn't terribly important to me, I almost always have my Kindle with me, but I'm stubborn and want to figure this out

Thanks for the pointers.

Last edited by tlrowley; 02-06-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #126
Edzilla
Edzilla began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerenon View Post
Adding the md5 sum of the file to the header modifies the file, so the md5 sum changes in the process.
You're right, I hadn't thought about that.
Edzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #127
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I haven't had any issues as long as I am only attempting to sync my reading location across devices/apps using the same "fixed" copy of the book on all devices.

Trying to sync a fixed version on some devices with the original Amazon version on others causes issues (as would logically be expected).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #128
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I've tried new "fixed" versions, all downloaded at the same time, and I still run into errors. I'm having a hard time pinpointing why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - can't seem to put my finger on it.

I'm quite a site to behold, I'm sure, sitting in my corner of the sofa with my Kindle, iPad, iPhone and MBP - going from one device to another and trying to sync

So this has never failed for anyone else? I'm alone in my failure
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #129
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

To be honest, I've never tried it with altered Amazon purchases. I almost always read Amazon's unaltered version on my Kindle and "fix" a backup version that's stored in Calibre. So synchronization always works. I only use this technique for non-amazon content.

I think you need to make sure that your altered amazon ebooks contain anything BUT the real ASIN number in it's metadata to have the best chance of success.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-08-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #130
pilotsnipes
pilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enough

Device: pilotsnipes
Sorry guys but I'm a little confused as to how to use this functionality IN calibre.

I've updated to 0.7.45 after I saw the changelog but I'm not able to get calibre to do the work I was doing manually...see post 83(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=83)

Could someone just explain if I have the wrong end of the stick here:

1) Say I have 5 books, mobi format and all imported into my Calibre library 6 months ago (ie. with a version less than 0.7.44).
2) All the books do NOT have their ASIN/EBOK fields set.
3) Say my kindle is completely empty.
4) I upgrade to 0.7.45.
5) If I transfer a book to my kindle via calibre, will it add the metadata during the transfer (my tests show this to be a NO).

How do I set the ASIN/EBOK fields using calibre in this instance? Do I just reimport all the books again? Or am I missing a command somewhere?

Thanks very much guys!
pilotsnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #131
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotsnipes View Post
Sorry guys but I'm a little confused as to how to use this functionality IN calibre.

I've updated to 0.7.45 after I saw the changelog but I'm not able to get calibre to do the work I was doing manually...see post 83(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=83)

Could someone just explain if I have the wrong end of the stick here:

1) Say I have 5 books, mobi format and all imported into my Calibre library 6 months ago (ie. with a version less than 0.7.44).
2) All the books do NOT have their ASIN/EBOK fields set.
3) Say my kindle is completely empty.
4) I upgrade to 0.7.45.
5) If I transfer a book to my kindle via calibre, will it add the metadata during the transfer (my tests show this to be a NO).

How do I set the ASIN/EBOK fields using calibre in this instance? Do I just reimport all the books again? Or am I missing a command somewhere?

Thanks very much guys!
Hi
I've not upgraded yet, but I think you just have to re-convert your books.
Then Calibre will generate the ASIN/EBOK fields.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #132
pilotsnipes
pilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enough

Device: pilotsnipes
Does reconverting a mobi file to a mobi inside calibre do anything else to the file? The files I have are perfect and don't need any "reformatting" so to speak except to add those metadata fields.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess my library up at the moment! I appreciate your time!
pilotsnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #133
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotsnipes View Post
Does reconverting a mobi file to a mobi inside calibre do anything else to the file? The files I have are perfect and don't need any "reformatting" so to speak except to add those metadata fields.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess my library up at the moment! I appreciate your time!
Hi there
We all have to start from scratch learning this new world, so don't worry, ask away.
Unfortunately I can't assure you, yet, that the new mobi will be "the same" as your current mobi "look" ( backup your books ! ) cause I'm not quite there yet, doing it myself.
So many changes are implemented each week ( thank you Calibre team ) but it does give the end user some challenges.
Just updated Calibre, need to do backups, and then I'll double check MR for K3 issues with FW 3.1, cross my fingers and do the FW update of my K3.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #134
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGrrl View Post
As of v0.7.44, Calibre automatically adds this functionality to .mobi files.

MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files.
Closes tickets: 8721

I verified it with several books that I converted from .pdf to .mobi, and they are syncing perfectly between my Kindle and Kindle for iPhone (both directions, no problems).

Thanks so much Kovid!!
So I was successful in doing this same thing, here's my question:

In order to get the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK is it just a matter of re-converting a mobi file within Calibre or does it require one to download metadata again.

THe book I tested this on, all I did was re-convert the current mobi book (which was converted using an older version of Calibre) again. This overwrote my old mobi file with a new one. Wasn't sure if it was just the re-converting that added the ASIN or did I need to reload metadata?

If it doesn't require downloading metadata again - then all I have to do is re-convert my entire library using the new version of Calibre to ensure that the ASIN and other key fields are now a part of the metadata which allows me to snych my Kindle and my iPhone.

Just curious.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #135
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
It never occurred to me to ask how exactly this works. Don't laugh but perhaps that should I have been my first question. Here's what I think and please feel free to correct where wrong.

So I have both books loaded onto to my Kindle 3 and my iPhone.

If reading on the Kindle
Before stopping turn on wireless and ?????? Everytime I do a synch to furthest page it says "Already at furthest read location". So does this mean that I should just turn the wireless on and let it do it's thing?

If reading on iPhone app
Read and then when done do I hit the icon to synch?

Sorry to sound so stupid, I was so fixated on getting this to work, I don't think I had a good understanding of HOW it works.

I want to know what exactly should I do when I am done reading on either device to ensure that both stay in synch. Thanks!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync