Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Easy Restore to Factory 1.01

I found a good thread for folks who want to return to stock as easily as possible:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=931720
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
LMAO. That looks more complicated than the original method, to me at least.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
LMAO. That looks more complicated than the original method, to me at least.
Well, one advantage is that the method works even if you no longer have a functional BN recovery in place. E.g if you lost power while trying to flash clockwork mod (a much better recovery scheme, IMO) and no longer even have a functional on-board recovery program in place of any kind.

And once you have a bootable SD card with clockwork on it, the rest of the restore goes much faster than trying to do 8 failed boots. And it does show just how hard it is to truely brick the nook. By giving the SD boot priority, the Nook is extremely hacker-friendly.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Zartemis, I've been avoiding the Clockwork Recovery as it seems the developers were indicating that there were still problems with it occasionally. Can you give everyone a quick rundown (maybe even a new thread) on what exactly Clockwork Recovery is, how it can help folks, and it's current status of success with a few web links on how to get it running.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
deleted

Last edited by SCION; 01-29-2011 at 10:31 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Zartemis, I've been avoiding the Clockwork Recovery as it seems the developers were indicating that there were still problems with it occasionally. Can you give everyone a quick rundown (maybe even a new thread) on what exactly Clockwork Recovery is, how it can help folks, and it's current status of success with a few web links on how to get it running.
Some initial thoughts and why I went ahead with CW at this point in time:

Yes, indeed, during initial development, clockworkmod was not stable on Nook and one would have been advised to stay away. It also initially couldn't do full restores. Now it can. I would say it is now stable enough to use.

That said, I still would not have switched if there wasn't an alternative way back to stock (the BN way is reliable, I'd not want to blow it away without a backup method or 2!) I'd suggest that those who are uncertain get a spare SD card, and create the images listed in the Easy Restore thread. Don't actually restore your device (do not format the partitions!), just confirm that you can boot up off of the SD card you made and navigate the initial menu.

Also, I'm already familiar with Clockwork because I use it on my android phone. That helped make me more comfortable with it.

I can post more about Clockwork, but before I do:

IF YOU INSTALL CLOCKWORK, IMMEDIATELY MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP.

Without it you have no onboard Nook restore.

Last edited by zartemis; 01-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Maybe a more direct question - Is clockwork recovery actually the first Nook Color User opportunity to completely bork the unit, where the usual 8-reboot method is no longer an option to restore?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Maybe a more direct question - Is clockwork recovery actually the first Nook Color User opportunity to completely bork the unit, where the usual 8-reboot method is no longer an option to restore?
No, and yes.

No: As soon as you have root you have the ability to damage the boot partition where the BN recovery resides.

Yes: This is the first alternate functional recovery offered by Nook hackers that replaces the stock 8-boot recovery.

That said, you can put the stock BN recovery back on the Nook via SD card and you have your 8-boot restore ability again.